Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #1  

Default Tilapia fillets?

I got some tilapia fillets the other day from the grocery store and I was looking for suggestions on how to season them. The only other time I've had them they came pre-packaged with a peppercorn spice which was a bit too spicy for my tastes but still good. I'm going to bake them but am at a loss as to what to put on them that wouldn't add a bunch of extra calories.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #2  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Mrs Dash does a nice salt free seasoning, the lemon and pepper one is really good on fish. With Tilapia, I tend to bake it in a tomato sauce. I add chopped onion, jalapeno, cumin, salt and pepper. Very nice.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #3  

One of my favourite ways to enjoy tilapia is very simple - you just pat the filets dry, then dredge them lightly in some flour that has been seasoned with a little cracked pepper, coarse salt, and a touch of garlic powder. Heat a little canola oil (with a bit of butter added, too) in a pan, then saute the fish until golden on each side. The seasoned flour creates a slight crust that browns really well - it's tasty. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon, and you're good to go!

The butter in the oil does add a few calories, but really not many if the oil/butter is hot before you add the fish - the crust will form very quickly, and not soak up much at all. Last time I did this I re-measured the oil/butter after cooking, and was only out a little less than a teaspoon.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I second the Mrs. Dash suggestion. VERY good on fish.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #5  

I don't know if it's just me, but I put some good quality deli salsa on it. It adds very few calories and if you get the mild or sweet style salsa it isn't spicy, but very tasty. My DH loves it over some rice (mix of white, brown & wild) and you can even pour the juices over some steamed veggies to complete the dish.
Have fun with it.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #6  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Tilapia is my favorite kind of fish. Like sugarlove, I also dust it with flour and pan-fry it in a little oil & butter. I like to top it with some corn chili salsa that I get from Trader Joe's - it's delicious. By the way, the very best Tilapia I've had I bought from Costco. It comes in four large filets to a package, so I freeze the extras in individual freezer bags so I can defrost them quickly in warm water.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I would put lemon juice and zest on it. Then sprinkle on some salt and pepper, a little cayenne, and some garlic powder. It's basic, but I don't like the spices to be overpowering.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #8  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenac
I would put lemon juice and zest on it. Then sprinkle on some salt and pepper, a little cayenne, and some garlic powder. It's basic, but I don't like the spices to be overpowering.
I do the same but also add a splash of soy sauce then broil it for a few minutes
Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #9  
Swimming Mouse

Like many, I also love tilapia.
I do a variety of things with it, depending on my mood....

Parmasean cheese and garlic, then throw it on a grill (I have a faux George Forman one that I just love... mine has removable plates, to make my life easier!).
Italian salad dressing (use the low-fat or make your own...) and marinate
I like the peach salsa from Trader Joes on it when its broiled quickly plain.
I've tried the Red Lobster style... they bake it in a aluminum foil pouch with seasoning and veggies. I used some ranch powdered salad dressing and some olive oil (teaspoon, the fish had moisture in it), then zucchini and bok choy.
I like to take the leftovers for lunch on a whole wheat pita, or multi-grain FlatOut (these are flat breads, and both they and the pitas are around 100 calories for a whole one... and like 10 total carbs).
Old 06-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #10  

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I can't wait to try them.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #11  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

I season my talapia with lemon pepper seasoning and parsley flakes and saute it in a pan with some light country crock margerine and chopped garlic I serve it over rice it is low fat and delicious even my kids love it so you know its good
Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #12  

Five-Spice Tilapia with Citrus Ponzu Sauce

One serving of this fish provides almost all five ounces of meat recommended for those on an 1,800-calorie meal plan.

2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar (sub 1 teaspoon splenda and splash sf maple syrup)
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
2 teaspoons canola oil

Combine green onions, juices, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and ginger in a small bowl.
Combine five-spice powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of fish evenly with spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from skillet, and serve with sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 1 tablespoon sauce)

CALORIES 217(27% from fat); FAT 6.6g (sat 1.8g,mono 1.9g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 37g; CHOLESTEROL 125mg; CALCIUM 8mg; SODIUM 332mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.1g
Cooking Light, MAY 2006
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #13  

Costa Rican Tilapia

Catch the tropical flavors of the sunny Caribbean with tilapia, a small, perch-like fish. Tilapia (tuh-LAH-pee-uh) has a mild taste, a small snapper-like flake, and firm, white flesh. Tilapia traces its wild origins to the Nile River in Egypt and is currently farm-raised in warm waters around the world. Frank Simon, a friend who farm-raises tilapia in Costa Rica, shares this classic dish, brimming with beans and rice. To up the "wow" factor when you serve this dish, garnish the top with extra orange wheels as shown in the photo.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Marinating time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, divided
4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon sugar
6 tilapia fillets, about 5 ounces each
3/4 cup long-grain rice
1 cup chopped onions
2 oranges, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) black or pinto beans, drained, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. For the tilapia marinade, combine lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar in a shallow dish. Add tilapia and marinate 15 minutes, turning once.

2. To prepare the bean and rice mixture, cook the rice according to package directions and keep warm while the tilapia is marinating. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large, high-sided skillet or saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Add remaining garlic and onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, oranges, tomatoes, beans, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook, uncovered, until hot, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Transfer hot rice to a 9 by 13 inch or 2-1/2 to 3 quart baking dish. Spoon the bean mixture on top of rice and gently blend. Slightly overlap tilapia fillets on top and scrape marinade over fillets. Bake until the flesh of the tilapia just begins to flake at the nudge of a fork, 16 to 20 minutes.

Vary It:
Snapper, striped bass, whitefish, cod, flounder, halibut, and haddock are tasty substitutes for tilapia.

Tips:
A chopstick works well when you need to stir tender mixtures of rice or couscous to prevent the grains from breaking up.

Use leftover cooked rice (2 cups), if desired, and reheat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/s...od/tilapia.html
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #14  

PAN-SEARED TILAPIA WITH CHILE LIME BUTTER

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 25 min

For chile lime butter
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened (smart balance)
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh Thai or serrano chile (preferably red), including seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
For fish
6 (5- to 6-oz) pieces skinless tilapia fillet or farm-raised striped bass fillets with skin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Make chile lime butter:
Stir together butter, shallot, zest, lime juice, chile, and salt in a bowl.

Prepare fish:
If using striped bass, score skin in 3 or 4 places with a thin sharp knife to prevent fish from curling (do not cut through flesh). Pat fish dry and sprinkle with salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until just smoking, then sauté 3 pieces of fish, turning over once with a spatula, until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, and transfer to a plate. Sauté remaining fish in remaining tablespoon oil in same manner.

Serve each piece of fish with a dollop of chile lime butter.

Cooks' note:
• Chile lime butter can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.

Makes 6 servings.

Gourmet
July 2003
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #15  

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut-Curry Sauce

Tilapia's mild flavor allows the bold flavors in this brothy sauce to shine. Serve this dish with rice, which will absorb the sauce.

1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, divided
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar (splenda and sf maple syrup)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
Cooking spray
3 cups hot cooked basmati rice (brown)
4 lime wedges

Preheat broiler.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add pepper and onions; cook 1 minute. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add soy sauce, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and coconut milk; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.

Brush fish with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fish with sauce, rice, and lime wedges.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, 1/2 cup sauce, 3/4 cup rice, and 1 lime wedge)

CALORIES 506(30% from fat); FAT 17.1g (sat 5.9g,mono 6g,poly 2.5g); PROTEIN 29g; CHOLESTEROL 82mg; CALCIUM 47mg; SODIUM 616mg; FIBER 3.1g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 56.6g
Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2002
Closed Thread