Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/174/165

Default Has Anyone

Heard Of Quick Weight Loss Centers In Houston Tx? If So Has Anyone Had Success With It?
mommyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would be hesitant of anything called "quick weight loss."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I say don't bother, save your money. Good eating and exercise really does go a long away. I never believe it but I tried it and it works.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #4  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

My mom did it actually. She lost a ton of weight (50 pounds) but as soon as she stopped eating their special food she gained it back. And yes, she did eat pretty healthy after she stopped buying their expensive food.
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #5  
Melting Butter

My mom also tried it a few years ago...maybe 9 years ago or something. It wasn't a realistic long term solution. And of course, she gained it all back. She said she was hungry all the time and the plan restricted her from many types of food that she wanted. She was miserable.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #6  

I tried it, my friend tried it and her mom tried it.

I gave up after two weeks. I was STARVING and felt like ****. I also refused their crappy protein shakes and bars because I don't believe in drinking meals or snacks. The bars were just gross and again, it's a candy bar! Not real food. Their supplements were also pricey and the lady kept trying to talk me into them. "Well yes you can lose weight without them, but not as much and it's going to make it harder to lose it." As if.

My friend lost about 20lbs and then went back to her old habits. She couldn't take the deprivation either.

My friends mom was able to stick with it and lost 70lbs in 6 months. She gained it back after she resumed normal eating as well. Last I heard, she has been back to QWLC three times. She only loses when she follows their diet strictly. As soon as the weight is off, she wants to go back to eating junk food because like everyone who's been on a diet, they're ready to consume the world because they've been hungry for 6 months.

I really don't suggest it as I don't believe it's good for long term results. It doesn't teach you how to eat and make good choices for yourself. It's just an "eat this and lose weight" sort of deal. Alot of my favorite foods were on the forbidden list (beware anything with one of those) and for stupid reasons. Things like bananas and avacadoes. Well sure, bananas have sugar and avacadoes have fat but in moderation, they are good for you. I don't know many people with either of those things being central to their daily food intake! Besides, too much of either will have unwanted gastrointestinal effects to remind you "Hey, don't eat us so much. We don't like that and neither does your stomach."

To me, the diet they use is a low-carb, high-protein, low-fat diet that anyone could modify and turn into a real WOE that could be for life. Spending tons of money to starve yourself is not necessary!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #7  

I am really surprised to hear to many negative comments about the QWLC. I went to them over 5 years ago and lost a 100 pounds. I followed the plan, and yes I was hungry at first, but that was only because my body was use to eating such large portions of food that I had to "shrink" my stomach down to what a "normal" meal size should be. Once I did that I was fine. After I lost the 100 pounds, I followed the 6 week stabilization program which adds ALL foods back into your diet slowly and was taught a way of eating for life without gaining weight. If you go back to your old eating habits, of course you are going to gain weight, but if you stick to what they have taught you, its less likely. As far as the bars and shakes go, those were not candy bars but supplements for the vitamins, protein and calories that you needed to fill in while on the diet. They may not have tasted the greatest, but eating healthy doesn't always taste like a cheese burger and chocolate cake...that's why its called eating healthy .
dietisawayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #8  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

I did it when I was at my previous high of 177, got to 136 fairly easily-good food, wasn't hungry, liked the supplements (altough pricey) and I didn't have to exercise (according to them). I could never drop below 136 so I stopped going and over about 8 gained up to 198. This time I'm doing it on my own through diet and exercise (the key to keeping it off) and I'm slowly moving down, after a year I'm at 130 with about 5 more to go. The difference is this time I know what to do and how to maintain. Before I followed a plan, this time I'm figuring out what I can do for life.

I think it's good and it works but it doesn't teach you how to maintain off of the 1 page list of food....but you can also do that for yourself while on their plan...I was just too young at the time (16).
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #9  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietisawayoflife
As far as the bars and shakes go, those were not candy bars but supplements for the vitamins, protein and calories that you needed to fill in while on the diet. They may not have tasted the greatest, but eating healthy doesn't always taste like a cheese burger and chocolate cake...that's why its called eating healthy .
Seems like just taking a multi-vitamin would have done the same thing, without the gross taste. you can get a knock-off One a Day at wallyworld pretty cheap. I am also a firm believer that if we eat healthy, getting all the fresh veggies,fruits, proteins and grains from what we eat, then a multi vitiamin isn't even necessary, removing the need for a "fill in".

I never tried any of these fad weight loss places like Nutrisystem or Medifast. They always just appeared to be a way to make money off of people. I agree with Glory. I would be hesitant with anything that said "quick" and "weight loss" in the same sentence. There have been those who've been successful with these programs, but save your $, eat healthy, watch those calories, exercise, and one can achieve the same results.

Last edited by mel67; 07-28-2006 at 10:47 AM.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #10  

I just started at QWLC. Honestly, I have my reservations, but I am down right determined to lose this weight. Although I am certain that I cannot eat from the list of limited foods forever, I am also certain that QWLC doesn't want me to do that. They have an initiation phase, a weight loss phase, a stabilization phase, and a maintenance phase. The initiation was three days, my weight loss phase will be 23 weeks, the stabilization phase is 6 weeks, and the maintenance phase is the rest of my life. At each stage, there are plans, moving from incredibly detailed and structured to less so.

As for the bars and shakes, you don't actually have to eat them. However, because you're losing weight, your calories are restricted beyond what they will be when you're maintaining weight (makes sense, huh?). Thus, you need to obtain your nutrients from very low calorie sources. The bars are absolutely delicious (I have been very surprised and extremely pleased), and the shakes/puddings are good, but not great. The benefit is that they are both stuffed with vitamins and minerals, have between 100 and 150 calories and have 15 grams of protein. I am quite familiar with protein bars, and these are among the best calorie to protein ratio I have ever seen, and far more delicious than my previous favorite of South Beach.
Deleriumb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #11  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

It appears most of theses posts are from 2006 Deleriumb32. Maybe there has been much improvement since 06. Rush Limbaugh just loss 82 lbs on it since March 09. I just joined MRC and wonder if their plan is similar. Kind of sounds like it from what I read here, but they do suggest exercise.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #12  
Kitten steps to fitness

S/C/G: 208.5/?/148

Height: 5' 6"

I was on QWLC about a year and a half ago and I lost 50 pounds. It was tough but you got to eat normal foods (although as someone above said, there were weird restrictions like no bananas and no carrots, stuff like that). I spent a lot of money (almost $1k in all) so that was a big motivator. But then I got pregnant and stopped going, obviously, and completely started pigging out because I had been denied some of my favorites. And of course, I thought being pregnant gave me the license to binge. So I gained it all back.

My biggest problem was that they put you on a 1,000-calorie diet. It's healthy and it can be done that way, but if you add in exercise, your body will think it's starving and your weight-loss will stall. They should tell you NOT to exercise, not "you can exercise if you want but you don't have to".

Anyway, I don't feel negative towards QWLC and their methods, but this time around it's not for me.
Pas de Chaton is offline   Reply With Quote