Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Question "You lost too much weight"

This week, I e-mailed some pictures of me to my parents (they're a 10 hour drive away) and in the response I received, my mother thought that I looked too thin in one of them. The last time my parents saw me in person was when I was at my highest weight, so I figured that was probably a big part of the reason why she thought I was too thin.

Then last night, I was out with my b/f playing pool when we ran into a friend that hadn't seen me in a few months. He said that I had lost too much weight and that I should have kept some on. He thought I would look good at around 150 or at least 140. Then I thought about the fact that this friend is of hispanic decent and so is my family, and culturally, hispanic women are expected to be curvier. I'm really not too skinny (you can see me in my avatar as proof), but it's just kind of funny that two people have told me that within a week.

Have any of you been told that you've lost too much weight? and gotten that funny look when you respond that you actually intend to lose more? Just curious.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #2  
kitty Momo

I would listen to them. Honest. My lowest was 129 and I looked thin. I look best at 145/150. Sometimes when we start losing we "can, "might" get distorted in our thinking. You do look fine in your picture, could even gain back up to 130/135.
Not saying you are now but just listen to them. I am 5'4 too.
Best to you!!
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #3  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

As long as you are healthy, go with the weight that you feel comfortable with. If your bmi goes below normal range, then you are too thin. BJF
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Its a hard one...

I got that comment a lot. I'm 5'6 and at my highest was 176 pounds. My friends and family didn't see me again until I had dropped down to about 120 pounds and they were worried...but didn't say much. I thought I was on a roll and dropped down to about 112 at my lowest and looked bloody awful lol. At that point yeah...I was definitely told I'd lost too much weight and looked much better a few kilos heavier.

I actually have to agree with them..I look my best around 128-132 pounds and thats where I am maintaining (although at the moment I am looking to get to the lower end and stay there :P)

Go with how you're body is feeling and how comfortable you are...after all every body is different! Some have the structure to carry more or less.

My mum is 5'7 and currently weighs 118 pounds. She's got a tiny fine bone structure and at my age was 110 - fit healthy and carried 3 babies (not at the same time - she just didn't gain weight between them :P) *shrugs* - Even though we're 10 pounds in difference I'm smaller in size...go figure lol. More muscle I guess!

So yeah...only YOU know when you're "too thin"

Congrats on such a great effort!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  

I agree - go with your gut and also your clothes size.

I would think 125 pounds and 5'4" would not be too thin on most people, unless you have a lot of muscle. If you are in zeros, or in 1s and 3s in the juniors department, might be too thin.

Before my kids, I got down to around 118 (I am a bit over 5'6") - that was TOO skinny. My husband told me I looked like a concentration camp victim and he was probably right.

My mother is 5'5" and weighs 115 or a bit less - also TOO skinny.

I suspect your BMI is well within the healthy range and I think you look great! It is something to be mindful of as it is easy to go overboard.
athensmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #6  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Goodbye Chubby, we are the same height and I think I looked my best when I was 130. Have not been lower than that as an "adult" so don't know what it will look like, but when I was 130 I think I looked healthy and still had room to lose a few. I can't see your full body from your avatar but I am sure 125 looks great on you. People are used to seeing you bigger so it will freak them out. Also I've noticed when people lose weight after being overweight they lose it in their face first, and look thinner in their face than they would if they'd stayed a normal weight. That might be part of your family's reaction, that your face just looks that much thinner.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #7  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

I don't think you look too thin. I think the weight you are at now suits you. You look healthy...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 140

Height: 5'2

i think you look great! definately not too thin! from your aviator it looks like you'd have a fantastic figure! i hate when I get the *look* for wanting to lose weight so I can see why you find it weird that it happened to you twice in one week. there seems to be an opinion that to want to lose weight you must think you're fat, but when you get down to the 120-130 area it's more about wanting to tone up and just perfect. anyone agree?
mtyler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #9  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler17
i think you look great! definately not too thin! from your aviator it looks like you'd have a fantastic figure! i hate when I get the *look* for wanting to lose weight so I can see why you find it weird that it happened to you twice in one week. there seems to be an opinion that to want to lose weight you must think you're fat, but when you get down to the 120-130 area it's more about wanting to tone up and just perfect. anyone agree?
agreed! I hate the "look" people give when I say I want to lose weight...we really should be saying I want to tone this and that...blahblah....but we would probably still get that "look"
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensmomof3
If you are in zeros, or in 1s and 3s in the juniors department, might be too thin.
Not a problem; the smallest pair of pants I own are a size 9. I haven't been pants shopping in a while, but the only jeans I own are an 11/12 and they're only slightly baggy. I know of a lot of people who weigh more than I do, but can manage to fit into those tiny sizes (I can wear smaller dress sizes, but nothing below a 4).

mtyler17, I definitely agree with you about wanting to tone up more at this point. I'm starting to find that the main reason for me to stop losing weight may not be whether I'm thin enough, but whether or not I'm well proportioned. I've recently changed up my weight lifting routine to really try and tone certain areas more. I'd like to slim down my thighs to fit into smaller pants, but right now I seem only to be losing weight from my chest and hips (there goes my hourglass figure... ) So I'm really focusing more on toning my thighs, because by the time they get would be thin enough, I'm afraid the rest of my body will look gaunt. I used to be able to lose weight proportionately from my entire body, now it seems like I'll lose in only one area at a time. Oh well.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote