Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #1  
Losing the Weight!

Default Yogurt Question

Ok, so here's the deal. I've discovered I really love Yogurt. I've been using the Dannon Lite and Fit (various flavors). And I just discovered Lemon, Blueberry and Blackberry... I'm in HEAVEN.

The container says that it has 6 ounces, however, when I mearsure it out in a measuring cup, I get 1/2 C which of course is ONLY 4 ounces. There is an additional spoon full left over, but no way near another 2 ounces.

So, here's my question. Is this only 1/2 Dairy or a full dairy? In other words, do I go by the label or by the actual contents? Silly question I know, but... it is Friday...

Thanks for the input.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/166/127

Height: 5'5

Hey there,

I usually count any yogurt cup as 1/2 a dairy. If it is FF and SF the calories are very low, and I'm pretty sure that one of those is not enough dairy for one day. LAWL is already low on dairy compared to most food guides.

I usually use yogurts in the big containers because I can measure out a full cup. One tup gives about three servings, and they're a lot more economical and environmentally friendly than the little cups. My favorite thing to do is have plain FF yogurt with sweetener, cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla extract - sometimes just like that, or sometimes with my fibre one mixed in, and sometimes with half a banana too. That is actually my favorite breakfast.

Hope this helps...

Juliemoon
JulieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I agree, I would only count that as a half too.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #4  

That definatly counts as a 1/2 dairy. I have been told by my center that when you eat yougurt to empty it out and measure it because it would probably be only 4 ounces. So they have always advised to either eat 2 small ones or measure some out from a big container. It's actually a lot of yougurt.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #5  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

ok, I must be skimpin on my dairy this whole time then!.I buy the 6oz containers at walmart(their brand).So I can have 2 of these? I mentioned this to my COD wayyyy back at the begining and she said the 6oz was close enough to the 8oz so dont worry about it(I was worried I was getting enough dairy because they kept saying "eat ALL your food or you wont lose")

I would love to be able to have 2(I think they are 70 calories a conteiner though)

Maybe thats why my calorie intake has always been low??And I am hungry alot~I am missing food
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #6  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I asked my center, too, and they said if I want another--go ahead--it won't hurt. Or to have a string cheese at another time of day--I didn't even know I liked it! So some days I just have the one yogurt but if I get hungry or just even munchy I throw in a string cheese. I agree that LAWL is pretty skimpy on calcium so it surely can't hurt.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #7  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

yeah,me too, since I started LAWL my nails have gone down hill!! They were always strong and healthy and since LAWL the are not near as strong and they are starting to peel all the time.I guess I should probally be taking a calcium supplement.
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #8  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I take the 2 daily from the center and haven't noticed a difference--I think my skin is better than ever though due to the EFA's. Do you take ANY calcium? If not--I think you should--if not theirs then something from the store.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/197/150

WOW! This whole time I have been slackin in the dairy dept. I am gonna take the big tub of yogurt advice and measure it myself. Cheers to this! I love yogurt! Cures my sweet tooth and i love it for breakfast
PinkHibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #10  

Yes you could probably have 2 yougurts. I stopped measuring them out because it was always less then 6 oz. I always figure 6 0z. is not enough so I will typically have another yougurt or some type of dairy product. A small milk or string cheese, or sometimes I add a slice of chesse to my meals knowing that I probably didn't get a full 8 oz of yougurt. Someone once told me that the weight includes the weight of the container w/ the air space. So it's not actually that many ounces which is why there is such a discrpency.

I love dairy products and I don't think what LA allows is an adequate amount.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #11  
Losing the Weight!

WOW... all this time I've been skimping on Dairy. YEAH...this is good news as I LOVE this Dannon Lite & Fit. I think I'll go have another Yogurt... LOL
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #12  
Losing the Weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMoon
Hey there,

I usually count any yogurt cup as 1/2 a dairy. If it is FF and SF the calories are very low, and I'm pretty sure that one of those is not enough dairy for one day. LAWL is already low on dairy compared to most food guides.

I usually use yogurts in the big containers because I can measure out a full cup. One tup gives about three servings, and they're a lot more economical and environmentally friendly than the little cups. My favorite thing to do is have plain FF yogurt with sweetener, cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla extract - sometimes just like that, or sometimes with my fibre one mixed in, and sometimes with half a banana too. That is actually my favorite breakfast.

Hope this helps...

Juliemoon
Julie, these are like 60 calories. Not very many... Especially when an 8 ounce glass of Skim milk is 90. I'm now doing TWO when I have yogurt. That means I can take one to the office for a mid day snack. Boy am I Happy....
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #13  
Losing the Weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo'sMom
I asked my center, too, and they said if I want another--go ahead--it won't hurt. Or to have a string cheese at another time of day--I didn't even know I liked it! So some days I just have the one yogurt but if I get hungry or just even munchy I throw in a string cheese. I agree that LAWL is pretty skimpy on calcium so it surely can't hurt.
Boos, I started out with the Yoplait Whips... YUM, but they have 100 or more calories. So, I switched to the Dannon and found I like that too... go figure.

Thanks for the Input. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #14  

In training I was taught to ask if the client likes yogurt and if so to stress the importance of 8 oz. Yes it is better to go over as opposed to under. I'm not on the lites but I am taking the supplements. The calcium supplements are fully soluable. The EFA's are amazing they're what got us noticed with the American Heart Association because aside what they do for hair skin and nails they also clear out plaque. I wasn't taking the calcuim at first and i too notice significant changes. I wish we could get the yummy chocolate chewable calciums like the ones I found at walmart
Organized_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #15  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

I better take the calcium supp. too, my nails have been horrible since LAWL, they are constantly peeling.
I have found the store brand yougrts are often 8 oz containers- they are very much the same taste as Dannon light and fit- but lately I have been into Yoplait - they are so much more creamy and it feels like a treat more than a "diet" yogurt
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote