Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default recipes for healthier chinese food

I general tso's chicken! Well, I fell out of love when I discovered the CALORIES in one serving

I found this healthier, lower calorie version but haven't tried it out yet.
does anyone else have healthier versions of chinese foods? PLEASE share

General Tso's Chicken

1 Pound Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
5 Tablespoons Dry Sherry
1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Tablespoons Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Asian Sesame Oil
2 teaspoons Canola Oil
1/2 teaspoon Powdered Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Scallions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
2 Celery Stalks, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped

Combine the chicken, 2 Tablespoons of Sherry, 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch, and Oyster sauce in a medium bowl; set aside to marinate for 5 minutes. Combine the remaining 3 Tablespoons of Sherry, Water, Soy Sauce, Honey, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil and 2 teaspoons of Cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a non-stick wok or a large deep skillet over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the canola oil, and add the chicken mixture. Stir fry until lightly brown (about 2-3 minutes). Add the ginger, garlic, scallions, and crushed red pepper; stir fry until fragrant. Add the celery and bell pepper; stir-fry until desired tenderness. Stir in the sherry mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, and the chicken is just cooked through. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Serve over rice for additional points.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #2  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default mock fried rice

Another healthier Chinese recipe I've found is for mock fried rice. Instead of using rice, use grated cauliflower!

Fried Rice

1 head raw cauliflower, (grated - I use food processor)
6 green onions, all sliced with green part separated
2 clove garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon ginger
4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
4 eggs, beaten (or use eggbeaters)
Olive Oil or cooking spray
Cooked Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp, Ham, Turkey, etc.
2-4tbsp chicken broth

In a wok or large flat skillet, on high heat, heat enough oil or cooking spray to cover the bottom. Fry minced garlic (or garlic powder) with finely diced white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth slowly to keep cauliflower from burning. Add soy, to an empty well in pan one tablespoon at a time. Let it slightly cook down, then stir fry all cauliflower and then form a new well until all soy sauce is incorporated. Add ginger, diced green onion tops. Remove from heat. Sauté cooked meat in another pan. Stir meat into pan of "rice". Using the same pan that meat was reheated in, scramble lightly the four eggs. Add to "rice pan". Stir to mix well and brown a bit.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote