View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #3

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
I HATE being overweight. It's too stressful. I am so scared if I eat one wrong thing, the pounds will start piling on again. Rationally, I know that is not the case... but I'm afraid I will start eating my old way again. I don't want to be a yo-yo.
Plan now for how you're going to keep the weight off. Now that I'm maintaining my weight loss, I still do exactly what I did to lose weight, I just allow myself more calories a day.

I still plan healthy meals in advance, I still pack my lunches on Sunday, I still food journal, calorie count, still go to the grocery store at least 3 times a week to keep fresh produce in the house, look up restaurant menus in advance, try to make healthy decisions as much as possible, plan a weekly treat meal (and don't let it spiral into a treat day/treat weekend), try to meet daily nutritional goals (5+ servings of vegetables, lean protein at every meal, 25% of the day's calories from healthy fats).

Previously, I had lost a significant amount of weight 3 times in my life and gained it all back. Each time I gained the weight back, I gained MORE weight. It was a heartbreaking cycle that made me feel like a discouraged, no will power loser. There was a lot of self hate.

This time, I wanted to set myself up for success. I started planning maintenance before I lost 1 lb. I knew I had to change how I ate forever, the only way to do that was to plan a lifestyle that I could stick to. I had to like the foods I ate, I couldn't feel deprived and I had to be able to stick with it for the rest of my life.

I still find maintenance terrifying. I am constantly afraid I will gain the weight back. I don't know when I'll feel safe, maybe after 5 years of maintenance when the statistics will be more on my side.
SIX YEARS at maintenance weight!

My very long weight loss story

"I saw an angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free."
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote