Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Default 14 Tips to start and stick with a healthy life

Here's a link to a great article that is good reminder and motivator to all of us starting (and maybe a good reminder for the ones that hit a plateau)

http://www.***********.com/resource/...cles.asp?id=73
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Since I noticed you can't get the link correctly here is the article:

14 Tips to Starting and Sticking With It
Stop Failure Before it Starts

-- By Julie Isphording, former Olympian

For some of us out there, if we could just convince ourselves that there is enough time in the day to exercise, we could be on track to a great fitness program. For others, we get started but quickly lose momentum and give up. To help get started and stay on track, here are a few tips:

1.Throw away the bathing suit you wore in high school… and the memory too. It’s normal to have a mental image of yourself when you last exercised like a fiend. But if that image is from high school, you could be in big trouble. Even if it’s from last year, forget it. Remember as little as possible of what you used to look like. Starting today, make new memories.

2.Prepare. We already know you don’t have the time, so write it down like an appointment every day. You wouldn’t cancel an appointment, why would you cancel on yourself? Aren’t you important too?

3.Start slowly. Do much less than what you’re capable of. Take a 20-minute walk if you’re returning to exercise. You might feel like it’s not enough, but it’s a good start.

4.Get the family involved. Run while your daughter rides her bike. Go to a local track and let the kids play their own games. Run with your spouse. Sign up for a local 10K. Walk with your son. Celebrate with a little something special after every activity.

5.Where are your friends? Four words, four reasons – motivation, inspiration, determination, conversation. Surround yourself with friends who think positive and live large.

6.Put the pain in perspective. When the going gets tough, remember that you have survived 600 carpools, 540 loads of laundry (this month), 41 baseball games, 230 dinners and one family vacation. What’s the big deal?

7.Allow yourself to slow down. You’re driving this bus! For the first time today, you are in control.

8.Sign up for a race. It’s a goal to strive for and adds a little meaning to your everyday workout.

9.Run/walk in public. Be proud of your accomplishment. Take in all the sites and be an inspiration to others.

10.Just show up. Go to the gym, class, or the park. Once you’re there, it’s hard to say no. 98% of life is showing up.

11.Eat. Follow a healthy eating pattern. If you limit your calorie intake, you will not have enough energy to work out and your metabolism will slow down.

12.Understand your energy cycle. There are peaks during our days. Even during the week. Try to complete your workout when you feel good about yourself.

13.Wallow in your greatness. You can exercise to become a better exerciser, or you can exercise to become a better mother, a better father, doctor, teacher, or a better friend – or you can exercise to become BETTER. Be proud of that accomplishment.

14.Have fun. Where’s your childlike spirit? When you can make workouts "playouts," you’ve got it made.

Don’t give up on yourself. After all, it’s never too late to be that healthy person you might have been.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #3  
No description available.

Thank you for posting that!! Many many pearls of wisdom to ponder...
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thank-you. I am printing & posting.

I love - "Wallow in your Greatness"!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #5  

These aren't bad suggestions, but for people with over 100lbs to lose, signing up for a race or running certainly aren't ideal.
I have to disagree with the first one because the memory of how I used to look, and more importantly, how I used to feel when I smaller keeps me trying and not giving up. I know I will never look like I did when I was 17 or 18, but I sure wouldn't mind feeling that way again... and losing the weight can do that much for me.
Not bad, but this was obviously written by a skinny person. LOL my opinion anyway.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well the first one is really for those who have put on weight over the years even though they might've been skinny when they were young For me, I already weigh less than I did at 18 (and 14 for that matter). Pretty soon, I'll get to the point where I weigh less than I did when I was in junior high although I don't know how much that was, I'm guessing 250.

As far as the race goes, you can sign up for to walk in a race. I've done a 5K walk/run before but I find hiking more fun. I have set a goal for the end of summer to do a 6 mile strenous hike. I've already picked out the hike and august/september, I'm going to do it Currently, I can do a 3 mile moderately strenous hike or a 5 mile moderate hike so I figure if I keep plugging along with my hikes and gym workouts, I'll be able to do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckettgirl
These aren't bad suggestions, but for people with over 100lbs to lose, signing up for a race or running certainly aren't ideal.
I'll disagree. For some people with over 100lb to lose running is never going to happen, but for others, like me, it's a fantastic idea. Signing up for a race really gave me the incentive I needed to stick to an exercise plan. I can't remember the exact dates, but I was around 90lb overweight when I signed up for a 5k race. I gave myself plenty of time, and by the time I ran it I'd lost another 35lb or so, and I finished it in under half an hour, running most of the way.

I'll agree that it's not for everyone, but I truly believe that most people can run as long as they build up in a structured way, not trying to run too far or too fast at first, but focussing on a race as a goal. You don't need to run it all, or run fast, because whatever time you achieve will be an improvement on what you would have managed before. Even if you walk most of the way, at a lot of the charity events its very unlikely that you'll actually be last. And if you are, well, you beat all those people who didn't enter
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #8  

Helen, you are right. When I read the article, it just sounded like the idea was for everyone to run. Certainly it is something that must be worked up to for any person out of shape.
It just kinda got me that in one point it says to start slowly and in the next it's run here or run there. And to me that says that the writer has not had the issue of not being able to do those things described. Some people must lose weight before they can even think of being active with their family (especially without making their family slow down for them) or even running (whether for fun or for a race).
A person with the right kind of mindset can sign up for a race (walk/run or just run) and become highly motivated to prepare, lose weight, and finish, and you have proved you are one of those people. I would just feel stupid for trying and give up without much effort. I know plenty of people who would never be up for a competitive sport (and who would view a race as completely competitive rather than just as a positive experience).
I would guess that most doctors would not encourage their obese patients to sign up for a walk/run race at the very beginning of a weight loss program. It could certainly kill whatever motivation is already there because it is seen as too difficult.
With enough motivation and hard work, anyone can incorporate running into their routine, its a matter of time and patience (just like anything else with weight loss).
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'll chime in that racing is certainly for those who have 100 pounds or more to loss. I've walked in a number of races and I love it. I think the idea that if you're not thin, you can't compete is ludicrous. I can do anything a thin person can. I may not come in first, but losing only means quitting in my book!

If you haven't raced, it might be hard to understand that very very few people are there competing. Maybe way at the beginning of the pack but I certainly don't see them. Racing is about competing against my time, my stride, my best. People say, "Well, why can't you do that at home?" Sure! But you don't get the roar of the crowd or the comraderie of the people around you and that is a huge motivator!

I'm competing in a tri this fall and I have no intention of suddenly being skinny by Oct 1.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jessica,

That is awesome. I couldn't imagine myself on a bike again. I bought a used one a couple years ago but I'm such a chicken I like my feet on the ground. Living isn't waiting until you are thin to do things, living is not accepting weight as a limitation to your life. I used to wait until I lost weight until I could do certain things, but then I figured I was missing out on so many things in life.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #11  

I signed up for my race in February and just completed in this weekend. I was mildly terrified, but had a lot of support and encouragement from YP and 2frustrated in real life, and it was completely doable.

I wasn't last (my principle fear) didn't have an asthma attack and need to carted off to hospital (my other big fear) and had such a feeling of accomplishment, that I don't get going to the gym.

The only danger is, that it's terribly addictive, and now I'm planning to do the Amsterdam half marathon!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Nelie - I think I was a chicken until I went down my first hill. The wind in my face was soooo awesome. I felt like a little kid. Now I am the pushy biker in downtown traffic!

Kykaree - WOW! I am so proud of you!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote