Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Arrow Another Dr. Phil Show...

This Thursday night on Dr. Phil there is a show called "Deadly Eating." Featured are a 200 pound 11 year old girl... and a man who weighs nearly 1000 pounds. Just thought I'd share this for those who are interested. The last segment he did on the extremely obese woman was very well done I felt.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

OH cool! Thanks!! I like Dr. Phil's approach when it comes to weight loss.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #3  

Did anyone watch the show? I felt so sorry for that little girl!

Also that poor guy... yikes, his Mother has stuffed him with food since he was tiny. I wanted to pop her face when she said how much she wanted to see him on the dance floor dancing with his Mom.! She STILL wants to be his "woman" even if he gets skinny. I hope he makes it... what a nightmare life! And those so-called "friends" who bring him in tons of junky food!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

I KNOW!!! UGHHHH How can people do that to their kids?!!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/176/125

Height: 5' 4"

I watched that show too. I'm surprised Phil didn't say something about the mother's weight! In my opinion, what she is doing to that young man is child abuse. How can any mother treat her child that way?!? On the other hand though, that guy needs to take some personal responsibility and quit blaming his mom and his "addiction". They may have brought him the food but he's the one eating it all.
Ann1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

I agree!! he kept blaming it all on the "addiction" well... I'm sorry dude but your "addiction" is KILLING YOU, so you need to cut it out!! He acts like he has no part in it all. Nobody's shoving the food into his mouth! I really hope that Dr. Phil can help him... I was blown away by the number of calories he's eating a day! wow!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I think it's truly scary for people that are that big. I have a friend who is 275 - he's only 5'8''. His mother is pushing 400 and he worries about her health. (His sisters are very big as well.) He's scared that one day he'll find her dead, and he's worried about how he & his sisters will bury her. I wonder - do extremely obese people think about those kind of things? I mean, it will cost more money to bury her because a special coffin will have to be used, etc. Being obese is really a hardship in more ways than just your health.

I hope that Dr. Phil can help that man; he really needs it.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #8  

I was surprised too that Dr. Phil didn't comment on the mother's weight. And I agree that Paul needs to do something to help himself... however, I think at this point the guy is truly trapped... and he DID write a lengthy letter to Dr. Phil asking him to help him. That must have taken some courage and desperation with a mother and "friends" like that around pushing food down him.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sorry I missed the show. People need to take accountability for their own weight issues once they are adults. Unless a person is tied down and force fed, it is our own fault. I got fat by eating too darn much and sitting on my butt for too long. I don't blame my parents and I was raised on fried foods and biscuits and gravy every day. I didn't even get fat on their cooking it was when I grew up and got lazy that I got fat. I do feel sorry for a 200 lb. child though, obviously she doesn't buy her own groceries.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol
I think it's truly scary for people that are that big. I have a friend who is 275 - he's only 5'8''. His mother is pushing 400 and he worries about her health. (His sisters are very big as well.) He's scared that one day he'll find her dead, and he's worried about how he & his sisters will bury her. I wonder - do extremely obese people think about those kind of things?
I thought about that. I thought about how my parents would might have had to buy an extra large coffin if I suddenly died and how many men it would take to carry me out of the house. I kept thinking of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" and what they did with their mother. I know I wasn't as big as she was, but I know I'd probably have to have a few more hands to get me out and a bigger coffin. I think others think of it especially individuals who can't leave their homes because they can't fit through the doors anymore.

And as for the issue of blaming parents, I blame my parents to a certain extent because I was a fat kid and my mom never made an attempt to get us healthy and always continued to feed us the most unhealthiest of foods. I chose to continue eating in this manner when I had grown into an adult, so I have to take part of the blame as well.

And for the food addiction issue, I understood every word he said about it. I'm addicted to food, and it's an overwhelming and powerful addiction. The brain of food & drug addicts responds in exactly the same way. It truly becomes a physiological addiction. BUT, I've gotten a certain amount of control over my addiction and it isn't impossible to do so and even do so completely on your own either. It just takes sheer determination and resolve. Some people just can't garner the strength themselves and unfortunately it leads to super morbid obesity. The path to homebound obesity is not made by poor food choices and a bit of laziness. As the addiction grows, as in drugs and alcohol, you consistently use/eat more and more to satisfy the physiological need. That's why someone can eat 11,000 calories a day. A vicodin addict can take 30 vicodin a day when they might have started at 2 or 3 a day. And an alcoholic certainly doesn't begin the addiction drinking a 24 pack of beer in a day. There are undeniable parallels between food addiction and drug/alcohol addiction. I don't think it could be any clearer.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #11  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree w/ you, Harpo. I have also thought about if something happened to me and I was still "large". I have told my husband if I die young I want to be cremated because I would be so embarassed to have to have all those men carry me out. although i know "I" wouldn't be there, just still would totally mortify me, even in the "Afterlife". If I die as an old lady, then its up to my kids to do with me what they want. IF I'm 80 or 90 (if I live that long) lol then I don't really care what they do with me when I go. lol.

I too think back to "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and what happened to their mother.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Gilbert Grape was a powerful movie for me. I never thought about any extra large coffin, even at 330. I think part of my brain refused to think about my size and what could happen, even though I was having difficulty walking and breathing at night at that size. The health problems were enough to get me going to Jenny Craig and to start taking losing weight seriously.

It does make me angry that my family shut down and never tried to help me with my weight, I was 300 lbs at 13 (I had an older brother and sister). My mom was very ill at the time and the entire focus of the family was tied up in taking care of that (or getting away from it). No one even talked to me about my eating or weight. At 17 I started going to Weight Watchers and I lost 100 lbs. My decision and my work.

It's true that once I was an adult it was my responsibility, but going through 16 years of horrible eating habits and carrying around that many pounds of extra weight, not to mention all the social stigma (especially when you're a teenager) that skewers self esteem, it doesn't make weight loss success as an adult an easier job.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #13  
~Believe~

Dragonwoman64 - Gilbert Grape is a powerful movie for sure. Sorry to hear that your family shut down but wow what a great success 100 lbs at age 17! I lost only 50 lbs when I was that age or 18 and thought that was a lot then. I was on a low cholestrol diet at age 16! What fun that is being a teenager! lol.

My mother always helped me any way she could to help me lose weight and lower my cholestrol, which we did! My dad tried in the way by giving me a tape called "Chicken Fat" when I was like 10 or 11. That totally mortified me, but I ended up enjoying it because it was lots of fun, but getting anything w/ the name fat in it at that age was very embarrassing.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

thanks, Shel. I agree, the teen years weren't the easy time to talk about weight!

I have to say, as tough as it seemed to me then, when I hear stories about how girls have to deal with weight and body image now, it strikes me as a lot more difficult than in the 70s and 80s when I was a teen. I don't know if that's media hype, since I'm not around teenagers, it's really what I read.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #15  
~Believe~

I agree, I think girls now a days, even girls that are not yet teens have a lot of pressure to be thin, so I think they have it a lot harder than we ever even imagined.