Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

Default Grocery Shopping

Lately, it seems to take forever to go grocery shopping. It is because I read the labels on everything now. ****, yesterday I found whole grain bread that was made with enriched wheat flour.
My husband now complains. What should I do - take him with me. That might involve getting a babysitter. No one year old will make it that long in a grocery store.

Help! How should I explain this to my hubby!
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #2  
Slow and Steady

Hi Ophelia. I would definitely leave hubby at home. If he must go with you I would try to send him to the food court to get a drink while you shop. Don't despair though. Grocery shopping won't always take so long. You'll find a core list of foods that you'll always buy once you've been doing this for a while and shopping will become a breeze.
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia924
Lately, it seems to take forever to go grocery shopping. It is because I read the labels on everything now. ****, yesterday I found whole grain bread that was made with enriched wheat flour.
My husband now complains.
Why is he complaining? What's he complaining about? I don't understand.

If my husband complained that I took too long at the grocery store, I'd say, "Either deal with it or go do it yourself."

I should put my husband on here to vouch for me. He'd write, "Yep, that's what she'd say," hahaha!

Like it or lump it or go do it yourself. Period. That's what I'd tell him.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #4  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I would NEVER tell my hubby to do the shopping because I know I would go home with Chips, soda, icecream, a bunch of junk food that isn't good for me....My hubby has NEVER bought anything good for him in his life!! I sent him once with a list, and he still brought back a bunch of junk food that wasn't on the list! *sigh* Although my hubby isn't really supportive of my weight loss anyway....

I totally know what they mean though about shopping taking forever....I try to read everything, and then the things I buy specifically cereals, crackers, bread, etc... , I make a list of what they are, so I know those are GOOD choices.... That makes shopping a little easier because I know what "brands" to look for next time I need those items.
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ask him to have patience, it gets easier. You won't always have to read all labels. You'll find your regulars and favourites.
I also found that going more often and just getting a few things helped. Shoot for a few days worth of good carbs, nice vegetables and fruit, healthy proteins ... go home, sort it out, eat for a couple of days ... reassess and go do it again.
I actually love grocery shopping! I'm going in just a few minutes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

Susan, me too! I love grocery shopping...I'm going in 30 minutes actually I am the one in my house who does the grocery shopping LOL. I am only 22 yrs old...it sounds really odd, I know...I use my mom's debit card and that's just how it works around here!
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #7  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

cyndy & SusanB, I wish I had that "love" for grocery shopping! I dread it! I'm not very good at planning out meals....I go with a list but then when I get things home...I'm like "What will I ever do with that?" Most of the time I'm cooking just for myself, as hubby works late shift, and I find that a hard thing to do! Don't ask me why, I just can't bring myself to cook a decent meal for just me, so I usually end up buy frozen dinners and nuking them...Bad I know! Plus I hate putting on the oven just to cook one little thing... I'm terrible! It's a frustrating thing....
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #8  

Grocery shopping definitely gets easier. You'll find you'll eat pretty similar things week by week. Hubby will just have to deal with it. I can't take my dh shopping, I have tried, but it just doesn't work.

I tend to do the SusanB patented little and often method I chose a gym next to the supermarket, so I tend to pop in after the gym (reinforces me to make healthy choices, nothing more embarassing than going to buy a large bottle of full sugar coke, a big bag of chips and a chocolate bar and find yourself standing in front of your personal trainer at the gym!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey
cyndy & SusanB, I wish I had that "love" for grocery shopping! I dread it! I'm not very good at planning out meals....I go with a list but then when I get things home...I'm like "What will I ever do with that?" Most of the time I'm cooking just for myself, as hubby works late shift, and I find that a hard thing to do! Don't ask me why, I just can't bring myself to cook a decent meal for just me, so I usually end up buy frozen dinners and nuking them...Bad I know! Plus I hate putting on the oven just to cook one little thing... I'm terrible! It's a frustrating thing....
I pick the meals, make a list and then shop. That way, when I get home, I know exactly what I will do with the foods I bought - they are for specific recipes. If you have a hard time making one meal for yourself, make a big meal and eat it over several days. I make big batches of home made soup, pasta sauce. I live alone so I usually eat it for a couple of nights and then freeze the rest in individual containers for later. I have no problems turning on the oven for one thing, that's what the oven is for, cooking things.

I actually love going to the grocery store, I go at least 3 times a week.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #10  
LLV

I still don't understand what he's complaining about. I mean, is he mad because he has to stay home with the baby?

And of course I'd never let my husband do the shopping and he wouldn't do it anyway. I just mean that if he wants to complain about it, he can do it himself. Which he never would. Which is why he won't complain, lol.

Why would ANYONE complain about someone taking too long to grocery shop, anyway?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, I'd tell the husband to shut up. If he must go with, maybe you can trade babysitting with someone. I used to drop my son off at my friend's house on my way to the store, and she'd do the same.

I now live across the street from a grocery store, and I find myself there 3x a week. I tend to choose one or two recipes and make sure I have everything for them, then I add a bunch of fruits, grains, veggies, proteins for the other meals, mostly based on in-store specials or price reductions. I also buy a bunch of convenience foods for my teenager.

I guess I like grocery shopping. My "treats" are to go to the co-op, a high-end grocery store, or Trader Joe's every few weeks to get the stuff not found at my locally owned place. I avoid large corporate places (except TJ's) like Cub, Rainbow, etc.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I just got back ... little time, little money ... my fella's did not eat well while I was working last night so I got deli meat, good grain bread and canned soup for them. lettuce, carrots, radishes, eggs and a diet coke

If some money springs from a tree before Friday I'll run back for canned tuna 89 cents, canned salmon $1. on sale tomatoes and more radishes and carrots.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I took my DH grocery shopping once. Only once in 18 years. He insisted on changing the brands of things that I normally buy. For instance, Kleenex. He wanted the store brand. I said fine, he can have that box and I'll take my Kleenex. So, while I blew my nose into soft, 3-ply Kleenex, he blew into doubled up store brand and his box ran out first!!! A big "Told You So"!!!

I have to admit, he does help when we go to Costco--he pushes the cart!

A bit of advice--stick to the outside aisles for 80% or more of your food. All that processed *&(^ is in the middle of the store and it will stick to your middle if you buy it and eat it!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #14  
LLV

I love grocery shopping, too. The only thing I hate is lugging it all in the house and putting it all away, lol.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My hubby hates shopping, and I wouldn't let him shop for me anyway. I don't plan out exacts. Like when my list says "light yogurt". I don't write out (2 blueberry, 2 coconut, and 2 black cherry). I know what *I* want...that's why I shop for it. Now him...he's easier to shop for. He gets the same things over and over, he doesn't care about labels, and when he says yogurt, I know which ones. He only eats two flavors. LOL And none of that sissy "light" stuff for him.

As for the baby, he's 8 months and he goes everywhere with me. I do the shopping while hubby's at work. I just take plenty to keep him entertained. I have a harness and will walk with him in that some, then will sit him in the buggy, and will take a seat and breastfeed in the store. I usually spend an hour or more, because I read lables, take my time, look at things. And I generally do ALL my shopping. I will go to Wal*Mart and get toilet paper, shampoo, and makeup along with groceries. I spend time picking through fruit. I don't like bagged apples as they're usually crap. So I get individuals, and check them for soft spots, size and color. I'm a slowwwwww shopper.

I used to hate shopping. Something about losing the weight and getting all that excess weight off my knees made me feel more like standing. Now I don't mind shopping at all. I enjoy it. And that's probably why I take a lot of time at it.

When I get home, I put the baby in his crib while I bring the groceries in. Then I put him in his high chair with some of the Gerber fruit puffs, some juice and a toy while I put the groceries away.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote