UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Default Advice on Jogging

Hi there, I'm relatively new to the forum and new to an active lifestyle. I started walking 4-5 miles a day before work just over a week ago now, and on Sunday I decided to start jogging for two short sections of my walk. I walk for about 1/2 hour, then jog for about 400 metres. I walk again for a couple of minutes, then jog for about 200 metres. Then I finish my walk (again about 1/2 hour). I mainly started doing this to decrease the amount of time I'm spending doing my walk as I would also like to start cycling to work in the not-to-distant future.

Anyway, I'm new to the whole idea of jogging so I would really appreciate any advice. I'm shattered after my short runs, but I expect that to improve with time. I have noticed some slight niggling pains in my stomach and shoulder blades, is this normal for beginners? When I have tried running in the past I felt very sick afterwards, but I don't seem to now - very strange!
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #2  

Everybody has their own plan for becoming a runner and I'll share mine with you. I started by walking and I could walk a mile in 15 minutes. I would then add short bouts of running and my goal was to decrease the time it took to complete the mile. My time would got a little shorter and soon I was running the whole mile in 10 minutes. The second mile was easier to add. Now a few times a week, I will run/walk about 5 miles with about 1.5 miles of walking and 3.5 miles of running. I typically can run a 5k in 30 minutes. Hope this helps.
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

If you google couch to 5k, there's a great program to get you running a 5k in a few weeks! I did that and loved it. As for feeling sick, I always feel sick after I've worked out really hard. Not had the pains in my shoulders though - could you be tensing your shoulders as you run, try to keep your upper body relaxed.

I'm sure our resident runner YP will be along to offer the greatest advice!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #4  

that looks quite similar to the training I did when I did my 5k run it llooks pretty sensible.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #5  

Has anyone got a decent pedometer thats cheap? I had a lloyds one that did the time and distance and steps and alarm but the normal setting wasn't accurate and the sensitive was super sensitive.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #6  

I think that my upper body is definately tense, I think that my whole body is tense. You would not believe just how nervous I have been feeling about the idea of running. The first two days I actually felt physically sick as soon as I thought about running, and what's stupid is that one of the reasons I felt nervous was that I didn't want to feel sick afterwards like I have before! However, by today (day 3) I didn't feel sick before, but I still tensed up just as I was about to start running my first section, because I knew that I was going to get breathless and feel useless. I think that this is just something that I am going to have to ignore until it goes away (which I think it will as I am having no serious ill-effects from doing this). Does that sound silly?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #7  

Do you get asthma at all is it your throat that feels constricted when you feel sick or do you just feel sick?

If you get asthma it helps me to take both inhalers about half an hour before I run then my ventolin straight after. I used to think I was just really unfit but I'm not its my asthma. I find as well if you get hayfever make sure you take your tablet or whatever you use at least an hour before you run.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Resident Runner coming through

Basically you need to increase the amount you run slowly and steadily starting from about a minute or two at a time (at a guess I'd say that you're currently doing more than that if you cover 400 metres) up to half an hour or 5k. Once you can do half an hour/5k you're into a whole new world of training schedules, but let's not run before we can... erm... run For beginners 5k isn't always 30 minutes, although it's a handy number to bear in mind - you'll start off slower than that but with regular running you'll almost certainly be able to run it quicker, and it's a nice target to aim to break through.

There are two basic approaches I've seen. One is that one day you go out for a one minute run. That's it, nothing more than that. You then go home. The next day you go out for a two minute run. Then three. Then four. And so on for the next 30 days (although I'd build in some rest days if I was doing that plan). I like it because it's very simple and the first few days involve relatively little exercise (I'd also try to build this into the rest of your exercise programme particularly at first so that you're not just exercising for a minute or two each day). This is simpler to describe, and probably works, but you might feel like you want to build it into a longer workout so you're not getting changed into running kit for a minute or two. I also tend to think that an interval plan is slightly better than this.

The second approach (the best known version is couch to 5k, although a lot of the beginners 5k plans are based on the same principle, there's probably one on the Race for Life website and one on Runners World), is to have roughly a 30 minute run/walk every time you go out, but to increase the amount of time you spend running during that by using run/walk intervals. So the first time you go out you might run 1 minute, walk 9 and repeat 3 times to get to half an hour, then you build up the running intervals and decrease the walking intervals.

I personally didn't follow any plan to the letter, but I did build up slowly and steadily adding a minute or two of running each time I ran. I was aiming for a 5k (Race for Life) so I was building up to the distance rather than a specific amount of time, once I could run for about 20 minutes solid I'd then walk it up to 5k, possibly with another shorter running spell at the end (I was on the treadmill so could measure distance and time easily). As I started running more of it (maybe running for 22 minutes with less walking before running again) I got quicker and quicker over the 5k which was a good way to measure my progress.

This time last year I was just about building up to being able to run 5k in about 36 minutes - now I can run it in 24, and I can also run half marathons (21k/13.1 miles) in under 2 hours. Anyone who can run now had to start somewhere. The lucky ones will have started running round while playing as kids and never lost the technique, the majority of people will have struggled with getting started themselves and give you nothing but encouragement. Stopping to walk is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a recognised training technique! You're working on building your endurance, and you can go for longer if you take walk breaks to recover between running intervals. If you can run 10 minutes twice with a break between you've done better than running 15 minutes then collapsing. This is why the second approach above is probably better than the first.

Two things you need. PROPER RUNNING SHOES AND A SPORTS BRA. No excuses. Your feet and your boobs will thank you. It doesn't matter how stupid you think you will look, go to a proper running shop (ie not JJB etc) where they let you try the shoes on and actually *gasp* try running in them before buying them. If you explain you're just starting out they'll be gentle with you

One question I sometimes ask is why you want to run? Pinning down the reason can help your motivation. If you're aiming for a race, maybe a 5k, then think of how every run you go on will make that race easier and make you feel elated when you finish it. Think about the medal hanging round your neck at the end. If you're running because you've always wanted to run then you have it relatively easy. Think about how much you enjoy being out there and doing something you've always wanted to do, and how much better it will be once you can do it comfortably.

If you're running just because you've heard it's good exercise you've got the toughest job. Yes, you can think about the rewards of being thinner, but those aren't outcomes that you can control as easily. For a race or simply being able to run at all, putting in the training will get you there. If you're running to lose weight you have to accept that you'll have to keep running even if the scales don't move for a week or two to really get the benefits. If you start to enjoy running you'll keep doing it, but if you see it as a chore you might start to lose motivation sometimes. I'm not one to knock running, but for some people it is a step too far, they don't enjoy it and don't really want to do it. If that's you, by all means give it a try but don't be afraid to switch to doing exercise you prefer more, and maybe when you're fitter you'll feel more inclined to give running a good do. It's not impossible to move from this to running for the fun of it, but I think it's harder.

You'll get plenty of support on here, Kykaree and Frus are both doing their first 10k on Sunday so we all know how hard it can be to start running and keep working your way through those programmes.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #9  

I did the interval training programme you can find on this site ('Let's Run' tab):

www.girlsruntoo.co.uk

Worked for me! I don't run to race, I just run because I like it! It clears my head and I enjoy the high I get, but I only run 2.5 miles, and even that in intervals as I have no competitive streak whatsoever - school PE knocked that out of me for good! Don't compete against myself either - not got a clue how long it takes. I've been doing it a year now, and still not bored of it. So you can run aimlessly and enjoy it - I know I do!

I had a couple of friends hadn't seen me for a while and when they asked me how I'd lost all the weight I made the mistake of saying 'running' Of course, the running's only the tip of the iceberg - changing the diet has been far harder and more challenging than a bit of running. But I noticed my friends instantly jumped on this idea with enthusiasm *Wow - you can lose all that weight - just running???* I could almost see them buying the running shoes... I had to then spend half an hour explaining the running was just the icing on the cake (I've gone back to cycling too and loads of other stuff). If you're doing it for weight loss it won't happen unless you totally overhaul the diet at the same time. I had to disappoint my friends that it's not so easy to lose almost 40lb just by running. I'm sure I'd have lost the same amount, over the same period of time (possibly more as I'd have been less hungry!) if I'd never run at all. I'm also a bit cynical when folk go on about the joys of walking away the pounds - I walked for miles a day for years - even when I was nearly 14 stone. Didn't lose an ounce! If you're thinking about weight loss I'd say diet is 90% of it - exercise 10% and of that 10%, running maybe a fraction of 1%!

I'd also say do loads of different forms of exercise so you don't get bored.

As for the pains, the only advice I would give you is - if you still get any pain in your legs or anywhere else after having properly fitted running shoes... I'd stop immediately. Or you could do yourself harm and end up with an injury that will go on for months and be able to do even less exercise than you did before you started. Any pains are wrong - they shouldn't be happening! It's your body telling you to STOP!

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 06-06-2006 at 03:38 PM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1

Two things you need. PROPER RUNNING SHOES AND A SPORTS BRA. No excuses. Your feet and your boobs will thank you.

I absolutely agree, especially with the shoes part. You wouldn't believe the difference a good pair of shoes will make on your knees!
I might also recommend spandex under your shorts. I don't know about any body else, but when I run, my shorts ride up, my thighs rub together, and it's all together unpleasant!! Spandex eliminates that problem. I've also recently started using "Body Glide," which is basically just a stick of lube. I prefer my spandex, but the body glide's nice too.

I had the shoulder thing too at first. After a run my shoulders would hurt far worse than my legs. I've learned to relax my shoulders as I run and keep my arms a looser. Keeping my hands hip/waist level while running, instead of boob level or higher, has helped my shoulders immensely.

I may be different from other runners in that I. Dislike. Running. I don't enjoy the act of it very much at all. But I feel so great after running, and it feels so good to say... yea, I ran 7 miles this morning, that it's totally worth doing to me.

Build gradually. If it hurts, stop. I guess that's my best advice.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #11  

My neighbours daughter runs marathons and she told me that another way to get round the shorts riding thing is vaseline. Just a tiny smear of vaseline does the trick apparantly.

I need some new good running shoes mine are ancient they are so comfy though I don't want to swap them.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #12  

Wow, thanks for all you're replies. After looking at couch to 5k websites, and seeing that they recommend doing it for only 3 days in the first week, I decided that after doing it for 3 days in a row, I would take today off and walk 2 miles instead. I was so tired when I woke up this morning, and my legs felt more tired than usual, so I'm going to have an early night tonight as well.

I am determined to get fitter. I don't have an aim in mind, like doing a 5k race, but I am going travelling round South America for 7 months from October, and during this time I will be doing a lot of hiking and other athletic things such as rafting, diving, horse-riding, cycling etc. My aim is to be fit enough by then that I can hopefully do these things without even thinking about it, and without feeling any stiffness the next day. In the long run, I want to just be a fit and healthy person. I love the way I feel when I start to get fitter, I start to feel like superwoman!

I won't be joining a gym. Been there, done that, and paid a fortune for a service I never used. I have much more motivation to get out in the fresh air to do something than to do it inside. I don't even use the rowing machine I have sitting in my house! But then comes the problem of how you time yourself for doing 1/2/3/5/15 minutes exercise. Most stopwatches will count up, but I haven't come across any (cheep) ones which count down and then beep at you. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Thank you again for all your advice and support
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachyderm
Wow, thanks for all you're replies. After looking at couch to 5k websites, and seeing that they recommend doing it for only 3 days in the first week, I decided that after doing it for 3 days in a row, I would take today off and walk 2 miles instead. I was so tired when I woke up this morning, and my legs felt more tired than usual, so I'm going to have an early night tonight as well.

I am determined to get fitter. I don't have an aim in mind, like doing a 5k race, but I am going travelling round South America for 7 months from October, and during this time I will be doing a lot of hiking and other athletic things such as rafting, diving, horse-riding, cycling etc. My aim is to be fit enough by then that I can hopefully do these things without even thinking about it, and without feeling any stiffness the next day. In the long run, I want to just be a fit and healthy person. I love the way I feel when I start to get fitter, I start to feel like superwoman!

I won't be joining a gym. Been there, done that, and paid a fortune for a service I never used. I have much more motivation to get out in the fresh air to do something than to do it inside. I don't even use the rowing machine I have sitting in my house! But then comes the problem of how you time yourself for doing 1/2/3/5/15 minutes exercise. Most stopwatches will count up, but I haven't come across any (cheep) ones which count down and then beep at you. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Thank you again for all your advice and support

When I do intervals I work out how many times running I'll actually do. Then I just do it off my MP3 player whack a song on and watch the time tick up.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #14  

I had a day off yesterday and got back to jogging today . I timed my first section and realised that I was running for about 3.5 minutes, definately too much by the couch to 5k programme. So after trying it out a few more times, I have worked out six shorter sections that have me running just over 1/2 mile in total, with a similar amount walking (although I am walking 1.25 miles before I run, and 3/4 mile afterwards (over a ridge and into the countryside) so that the dogs get their walk as well. It was definately easier with shorter sections, and I actually ran slightly further with all my timing dilemas

Not a good day to run today though, very humid with no wind at all . I was still sweating buckets when I got home! Thanks for all your advice guys, and good luck to YP1, Kykaree and 2frustrated on their 10K this weekend
Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #15  

Well done that'll keep you going and its good exercise.

They've got me inspired I decided I was running a 10k next year so I'm going to start by building myself back up to comfortably running 5 and go from there.

I didn't run today but I'm going to run tomorrow I need to get a knee support in a bit damned knee I should have known it wouldn't stand a run. My ankle seems to be bearing up ok though.