Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Comparing your progress with others

Hi y'all....I don't normally post stuff like this, but I need your help and/or encouragement.

I have a weight loss buddy who is losing much faster than I am. I know I shouldn't compare my journey to hers, but dang, I wish I was posting the losses like she is!!

I know logically her progress will be different than mine because she has more to lose than me. Another difference is I am going to the gym five days a week, while she is only walking a mile a day. I think I could be building muscle.

I'm averaging about 1-2 lbs per week, which I know is average and a good loss, but it discourages me to see her dropping twice that much in a month! (Not every month but you know what I mean.)

Please, I really need some encouragement!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Okay.
You've lost over 40 lbs and you're building muscle
You are going to look incredible.
She is going to look like a deflated, flabby sack.

How's that?

I know, she's your friend, and you don't WANT to be jealous of her, you just are.

Remember that you are building really good weight habits. If you're losing 1-2 lbs per week, you are creating a life eating and exercise plan that you can work with for the rest of your life.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Last edited by KristasMom; 06-05-2006 at 02:30 PM.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/191/150

You don't need to be worried, we all lose weight or tone at our own rates, with you going to the gym you may not be losing as much weight as you like but I am sure you are seeing a difference in the way your body looks and feels. I have been hiking an average of 2-3 km a day for a couple of weeks and have only lost 1 lb, but I noticed I can slid my pants or skirts off with out having to unbutton them so I know the inches are definitely coming off if not necessarily the weight.

Keep at it, your doing fabulous!!
Nicklewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #4  
No description available.

You are right that we are all different and we lose at different rates. What is important is that YOU are integrating lifestyle changes that you can live with the rest of your life (as is she, I am sure).

It reminds me of birth (doesn't everything?): sometimes a woman will come in and give birth within an hour and do really great and the nurses tell her she is a birth goddess. I think, well, yeah, she is, but in my mind the women who labor and work for hours and hours and push with everything they have and then find some more energy to push with...they are birth goddesses in my mind.

It is a lot easier to work a plan with rapid and immediate rewards and gratification. She is very lucky (even though I know she, too, is working hard). The real challenge of character and commitment is to work and work for small yet steady rewards.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

First, for getting to 299!!!

Make sure you remind yourself to feel good about what you've already accomplished.

AND you're going to the gym, AND you're losing 1 to 2 lbs / week. Man, lady, you are workin' it!

I know I can get jealous when I slow down and other people post all the lbs they're dropping. Sometimes it's my fault (oversnacking, pooping out with the exercise), sometimes it's not (bulking, TOM). Plus, the truth is, metabolism makes a difference, how many times someone else has lost and gained the weight, age, being in the right mental state (some people are more ready to dig their heels in than others at certain points). No matter what, it's my journey, and I have to learn the lessons I have to learn from it.

Hope that helps!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

We are all different and so our progress will depend on a number of factors including age, hereditary, amount of muscle and our own weight loss history. I try to compare my current weight loss and the weight loss of my past and it frustrates me. If you are losing 1-2 lbs a week, I'm envious My weight loss has been so slow lately. Anyway, you are making good progress so keep up the good work.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I think comparison is something that can really hurt someone's feeling of success. I see all these great losses here myself and I know I keep struggling along. It can be a real downer but I am looking at the fact I am losing overall and doing well with exercise.

Jen, I think it is natural to make comparisons but you are doing a fabulous job and look great! I think (after reading a lot about weight loss) you will probably see more success than your friend because you are losing it correctly. 1-2 lbs losers tend to keep it off for good. Keep that in mind as you plug along. Best of Luck!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #8  

Do you know, this is why I didn't do weight watchers etc. I get caught up in comparisons, and feel complete failure when I lose slower than everyone else. It doesn't seem to bother me on line, because for every superstar fast loser, there are lots of superstar pluggers like me, who fight for every pound.

It's ok to let yourself feel jealous, feel it, then let it go. Don't let it undermine you.

You are a complete superstar, you're success and tenacity are amazing, and I am sure there are many people who are jealous of you
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Jen - You are doing fantastic. I know how you feel though. It feels like the weight can't come off quickly enough and why should it some off faster for someone else when I work just as hard? You are doing you personal best and are making great strides. Don't diminish your own accomplishments by getting too caught up in comparing yourself to someone else. We all have different bodies, different histories and it won't be the same.

I bet someone out there looks at your stats and is jealous of you!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #10  

Jen...

I don't really have anything else to add....everyone has had some great thoughts here already I did want to congratulate you on the absolutely awesome job you've done thus far...amazing!!!!! My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit....since starting The Firm and as I get closer to goal....it's frustrating....but just keep plugging away at it. 1 to 2 pounds is awesome and actually a good and healthy amount to lose every week. Like someone said....you are exercising lots which is awesome.....in the long run...you will develop a much faster metabolism which will make it easier for you to maintain,etc. OK..I guess I did have a little to add...LOL.....just remember YOU are doing awesome..k?

Luv
Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #11  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Awesome Job!

You are doing great. I know it can be hard to not compare yourself but as everyone has already stated...we are each on our own journey. Don't negate your own success because someone else may have outshined you temporarily...It is the long haul that counts.

Keep going!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #12  
n00b

S/C/G: 273/269/150

ditto to what everyone else said, PLUS: (and this was pointed out to me on another board) did you know that by losing 1-2 pounds a week, you are slated for a 75-100 pound loss in one year? also, you are more likely to keep that weight off later on. you are changing your habits, your lifestyle, and you are doing FANTASTICALLY. keep it up!!
Rahkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Thank you all....this has given me the perspective I needed!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

It's hard not to fall into that trap but it does lead to nowhere. I'm glad you have found the perspective you need. Your doing awesome and I know you will finish what you have started.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #15  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

You are awesome.. look at YOUR numbers.. they are great!

It is so so hard not to get caught up in the comparison.. but.. we all do it.. its important to have perspective.. So way to go on coming in here and finding it..

SMILE..
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote