Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #1  

Question Calorie Confusion

For the last 2.5 weeks I've logged my calories perfectly (I only eat things with a calorie label, so I know what I'm getting), but I *barely* losing what I should be for the calorie defecit I'm doing...here are my stats: 21, 5' 4.75", 352-355 pounds, not much activity daily though. So I thought to maintain I'd need 3000 cals...so I've been having 2000 (to lose 2pds a week). But just today I went online and put my stats into a couple calorie counters and got - to maintain - 3070, and 3200-3300. So..oddly enough...is there a chance I went a tad too low at first? Or am I just having slow losses? Should I stay at 2000, or go a bit higher, OR, a bit more lower?
TIA Everyone!

Melissa
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #2  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

If your only eating things with a label does that mean no fruit or veggies? Cause if it does you need to add some of those in. Also try drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day. Im not sure how many calories you should be eating but 2000 to start with doesnt seem to far off.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

4 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks is good.
I thought the same thing as Jtjoray about the labels thing.
And ... um ... not much activity you say?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #4  

I honestly think you're eating too many calories. I know the current theories, but I really think you should be eating fewer calories. Why not try 1200 - 1500 calories per day for a week? Combine it with a 15 minute walk (5 mminutes if 15 is too much), and see how you do for the week. You can always change back to your original plan after the one-week experiment.

Oh, and YES, do eat plenty of vegetables! You can get calorie counts for them from any calorie book or on fitday.com
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
I honestly think you're eating too many calories. I know the current theories, but I really think you should be eating fewer calories. Why not try 1200 - 1500 calories per day for a week? Combine it with a 15 minute walk (5 mminutes if 15 is too much), and see how you do for the week. You can always change back to your original plan after the one-week experiment.

Oh, and YES, do eat plenty of vegetables! You can get calorie counts for them from any calorie book or on fitday.com
I agree... and as a personal rule I try to limit the amount of packaged foods I eat. I'm a strong believer that the quality of a calorie makes a big difference too! IE the calories in a spoonful of sugar vs. the calories in an apple.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I completely disagree with trying 1200-1500 calories...that would be a MAJOR shock to your body, and if you plateaued, how could you decrease your calories any further if you are already close to rock bottom? I think 2000 is an excellent starting point for your weight. I weigh less than you (about 290 right now) and am aiming for an average of 2000 or less per day. I don't exercise at all intentionally (aside from the minor parking further away in parking lots and taking stairs instead of the elevator sometimes), and I lost 1 pound last week.

Like the others have said, though, if everything you eat has a label, then everything is likely quite processed. Try adding in more whole, unprocessed foods because the chemicals, sodium, and other junk in processed foods can do evil things to your body

Now for a smack of reality--NO ONE loses exactly as their caloric deficit would intend. By this, I mean there's not likely one person in the world who has ever lost exactly 2 pounds per week by decreasing their calories by 1000 a day. You might lose 1 pound one week, .5 the next, 3 the next...it will very likely be inconsistent. This is because there are sooooo many other variables at work in our bodies. Heck, if I have too much sodium, I can gain up to 4-5 pounds just in water weight in a weekend! It goes away pretty quickly, but you never know what's going on inside on that particular day you weigh in, ya know?

I would be so excited with 4 pounds lost in 3 weeks! You're heading in the right direction and doing it the smart way (without crash dieting), and that's what's important. I would tout exercise, but that would be somewhat hypocritical of me since I don't do it either I know it will help, though, and from doing nothing (like we are now), it won't take much to see an improvement--maybe 15 minutes of walking a day could make a noticable difference.

Online calorie calculators are quite unreliable. For starters, they're created for "normal" people, not overweight people. Since fat and lean body mass burn calories differently, we typically don't burn quite as many as those calculators would have us think. Also, if you've ever lost weight in the past, then you liekly don't burn as many calories as you'd like to think--someone who weighs 200 pounds may burn 2400 a day, but another person who weighs 200 pounds who used to weigh more won't burn as much.

A healthy weight loss is .5-2 pounds per week, and you're right in that range, so you should be proud! It may take time, but progress is progress, regardless of how long it takes. I know we all want the extra weight gone NOW, but how long did it take you to gain it all? I'm guessing it wasn't overnight, and if you did gain it quickly, it wasn't healthy, so why would losing it quickly be healthy?

So, after that novel, my general suggestion is jeep trying the 200 calories a day, but try incorporating more whole foods. They don't have to be all whole foods, but any healthier substitutions you can make gradually may help
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Personally I think 1200 - 1500 calories from someone at 353 is WAY too low. I have been eating around 2000 calories (now I am trying to lower it a little, but am still in that range) and have been losing well. What you don't want to do is eat too little so that you are super hungry and then be liable to eat things off plan because you are hungry.

You have cut out 1000 calories a day, which over 7 days is 7000 calories, which is 2 pounds. You have lost 4 pounds in a little over 2 weeks, so you seem to be doing ok. As much as we might like it to be more (and sometimes it is), 1 - 2 pounds a week is what we should expect. Also, sometimes you might be retaining water and you won't lose one week and the next you will be down by a lot. Then sometimes your body just needs time to adjust. I went a whole month of doing everything right (eating at my calorie level, exercising every day) and only lost 1 pound. I was so frustrated with the scale. One thing I have found really helps is to have other measurements. What got me through was seeing the improvement in my fitness ability during that time and knowing I had made big strides in how long I could exercise for.

Regarding the other calorie counters and different amounts from different sites, the higher your weight the less accurate those counters are. I would stick with 2000 for now – perhaps try going a bit higher one day and a bit lower another. Also, if you can find a way to add in some form of exercise that would be good. Anything just to start moving – like walking in place for 10 minutes while watching TV and then the next time walking for 11 minutes.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #8  

To answer what some people have asked: yes, I do eat a TON of veggies (they're my fave. food group). Fruit, not alot, cause I don't care for sugar - even natural. (When I said only labelled foods, I meant things that even though something is the same product, different brands can have different calorie counts...but veggies are always the same in cals no matter what, so I didn't mean I exclude EVERYTHING else ) And, also, yes, I do drink alot of water. I try to do a little 5min walk a day, cause at my weight I have super bad back, and painful knees, so it's hard to do more than that. I used to do light strength training but I took a break from that for a bit. And, I hardly eat processed foods, I meant along the lines of frozen veggies, rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, skim cheese strings, puddings, lean meats (they have labels on it here), etc...so everything has labels, lol, I was just making the point that everything I eat I know the exact calorie count of. Anyways, so there's been a few different opinions...but it seems most of you say stay around 1900-2000(?)

Melissa

Last edited by Vilandra485; 06-03-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I currently eat around 1800 cals/day but when I started calorie counting at 280-something, it was more like 2000/day.

I think Jill is spot on when she says that nothing is exact. Over time this works out, there are so many variables that you have to think in terms of averages. But 4 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks is even pretty on target for what you're aiming for!!! So I think you're doing great!!

However, I did wonder if you were also carefully weighing what you eat...

And you may want to think about how to add exercise in -- it REALLY helps!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #10  

Until I posted my reply I didn't even realize how healthy I AM eating, lol! I don't eat anything processed, and I don't have more than the reccommended sodium intake. I don't have things like canned veg, or TV Dinners, or pre-packaged frozen meats, etc. Even my snacks are good for me! I don't know if anyone would agree with me, but I'm darn impressed by my groceries! (Oh, and I forgot, I get my small fruit intake by having 100%pure Apple Juice once in a while.)
Old 06-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #11  

Well, now that you've detailed the kinds of foods you eat, I'm impressed! Good for you!

I think the consensus is not to increase your calories. We didn't all agree on the exact calorie amount, but I don't recall any posts saying to up the calories.

I'll agree with the others that if you're losing 2 lbs./week on what you're eating now, then you're doing fine. I still feel you could increase the loss by decreasing intake for a while, but you need to do what you're comfortable with, so you'll stay on the diet. That's the most important thing, long term. And the slower weight loss is the safest way to go, again, long term.

I totally understand about the strain on your knees. I have the same issue with my ankles. I used to walk all the time, and my ankles were always in pain. I assumed I was developing arthritis. Then things in my life changed, and I stopped walking for several years (NOT good -- I gained more weight), and the ankle pain completely disappeared. Now that I'm walking again, it's back, so I know the walking with all the weight is what's causing it. You definitely don't want to risk damaging your joints. OTOH, there are other forms of exercise that don't require as much weight-bearing, and you may do better seeking these out.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/249/150

Height: 5' 7

Hi Melissa~
I too am trying to tweak my calorie intake so it is suitable for me for maimum weightloss..for me... I take the general consensus and that is a basis then if at one calorie intake 2000 I see it is on 1 lb a week I will give it a month.. then I may drop it to 1900-1950 to see if that works better..but i will give it a few weeks to a month so i can avg out my losses cause being women we have the tom to consider.. ovulation time your metabloism gears up higher so loss then may be greater.. so a true reading will be all loss divided by days/weeks..

I have also heard since I have been this weight b4 and lost now gained back it is a little tougher to get the weight off this time around.. so i have to grin and bear it.. Keep up your water intake and good work you are on the right track.. I saw a post that was asking others to join the 52 lbs gone in 52 weeks.. which is what i think I am setting my goal for .. this way if i get more than that as a loss one week it is a bonus.. I would love to see 2-3 lb a week but my goal is 1... i will feel so accomplished .. and think really poitive.. you will get there.. any movement down is still movement!! best to you melissa.. and take care..Kim
slimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
I honestly think you're eating too many calories. I know the current theories, but I really think you should be eating fewer calories. Why not try 1200 - 1500 calories per day for a week?
This is absolutely UNTRUE. 1200-1500 calories a day is fine for someone who is near to their goal, but for someone who is currently starting out at over 300 pounds-it is WAY too little. The more your body weighs, the more calories is needs/uses each day doing every little thing. Take a walk around the block, for instance. It would be equivalent to a 150 pound woman walking around the block, and then trying it again carrying 150 pounds over her shoulders. Much, much more effort for someone who is very overweight to do everything-get the mail, walk across the room, exercise, and so forth.

This is why calorie counters should start at the highest level that they can to lose weight, and then slowly drop their calories as they get smaller. If you start out at 1200 calories a day when you are over 300 pounds, then you have nowhere to drop them to once you hit 250, 200, 175, etc. and find that you are no longer losing.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also wanted to add that I think 2000 calories a day for your current weight is perfect. You do need to add in small spurts of activity though, and when you get smaller and exercise becomes more comfortable, then you should start at a very beginner level (even walking 1/4 a mile) and slowly increase that as you can.

I would not drop below 2000 calories for a little while...when you get closer to 300 pounds, then 1900 would be a pretty good level at that point.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #15  

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Aphil, I think your advice about dropping when I get around 300 is perfect, thanks.