South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/227/134

Height: 5' 6"

Question What do I expect on Phase 1?

Mod Note: I changed the font, colour and size as it was very difficult to read. It is now set to the system default. Ruth xxx

I tried the SBD a LONG time ago when the first book first came out. I made it 3 days, but I was in college, and ate out every meal. It was very difficult to follow choosing from fast food menus (lived in the dorms), and back then NO dairy was allowed either.

I have read the recipes on this site and the updated food lists on Phase 1 and a lot of tips and tricks for phase 1. This diet seems like one I need to follow. I gave up sodas on Jan. 1, and I accidently grabbed my dh's cup the other day, and yuck! The coke burned and was WAY too sweet! YEA!! I am addicted to sugar and carbs and crave them constantly. I am hoping to be the same way with them after phase 1. I am planning to workout on my elliptical and do pilates and handweights for at least 30 minutes per day.

Here are my questions:

What is the maximum time to do Phase 1? It took me about 5 weeks to stop craving sodas. I am nervous that the 14 day period of Phase 1 will not be enough to control my cravings.

How will I feel? Will I be tired and have headaches, or will I feel refreshed and energized?

How much weight did you lose on phase 1? I have set my goal at 10 lbs during phase 1, but is this too much or not enough?

TIA for your help! I start tomorrow!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/155/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Heres my 2 cents worth...........

Hey Tori. DH and I just finised phase 1 and he lost 7 pounds and I lost 10. Iwas very tired until one of the beachers here suggested that I wasn't drinking enough water. It helped quite a bit. For my own experience I have always been a "sweets" craver. After about day 4 I realized I wasn't craving sweets anymore. Where I used to wake up and want something sweet to eat, it may sound silly, but I craved peanut butter. I use the Smucker's natural peanut butter and I am quit happy. Close to the end of phase one I was really craving fruits. I don't think its was because of wanting sweets, just they smelled so good in the store and I have always been a big fruit eater. I wish you all the success you are looking for! Blessings~Linder
Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Hi Tori! Did you get to B&N today? Find anything interesting?
Set up your profile to receive messages, then we'll be able to find each other at any time.
Let me know how tomorrow goes, I'm in your corner! You can do this!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #4  
Here for the Party

Hi...I have been on SB for 5 months now and I want to tell you the first 3 days was the toughest for me. I followed it to the letter and lost 15 pounds those 1st 2 weeks. Does it work...yes it does...is it tough(at first), but I gave up caffeine as well. You can do this! Speaking from a woman who has tried every diet her whole life and this one works! Because it is not a diet, but a change in your way of eating, thinking and living. The people on this site and the site totally will help you when you think maybe you can't eat another egg! Don't give up....you can do this!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
What is the maximum time to do Phase 1? It took me about 5 weeks to stop craving sodas. I am nervous that the 14 day period of Phase 1 will not be enough to control my cravings.
Check out the FAQ for info on extending Phase I. Soda cravings should leave faster as you will be eating clean during detox. Phase I is also missing some essential nutrients that are added back in Phase II.
Quote:
How will I feel? Will I be tired and have headaches, or will I feel refreshed and energized?
Some chicks do get headaches and feel draggy at first but it goes away. Cut back on exercise during Phase I.
Quote:
How much weight did you lose on phase 1? I have set my goal at 10 lbs during phase 1, but is this too much or not enough?
Weightloss varies depending on current weight and whether or not you've been yo-yo dieting. You could lose 10 pounds on Phase I but 5 to eight would be more likely. Why not just make sticking out the two weeks your goat rather than weightloss? This is a lifestyle change - weightloss is secondary.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #6  

It really is best if you only stay on phase 1 for two weeks. Look in the FAQ section and there is a stickied post talking about the length of time.

As to how much you lose in phase 1, it really varies. I only lost 4 pounds but I was on a diuretic at the time so I had already lost all the water weight ahead of time. That 4 pounds was real loss.

I had a few minor headaches but not bad ones. I did not cut out caffeine. I just cut it back a little. It is important to get your slow carbs like legumes and drink your dairy. That will really help you feel better. And check out the recipe section. There are wonderful phase 1 recipes like Taco Bake.

This is such a healthy way to live. If you have not been exercising, you many find that you don't have the energy to start in phase 1. Don't let that bother you. Just wait until phase 2 and start then. That is normal.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #7  
Brand new to the Beach!

S/C/G: 195/187/150

Default Another question about what to expect

I started Phase 1 on Monday and have already seen results! I'm not craving sweets or anything but my big problem has been not sleeping through the night. I've been waking up anywhere between 2-4am, wide awake, and having difficulties going back to sleep. Since its the middle of the night, I force myself to go back to sleep and wake up feeling groggy. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you have any suggestions to help or does it fix itself as my body continues to adjust?

Thanks for any help and insight,
Linda
Closed Thread