Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 66

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #2  

I KNOW 2Cute hates being the last post on a thread! So I'm bringing this over to be the first one here. Too good too lose!

Quote:
Good evening. I didn't get an entire hour in tonight... but a good 30 minute workout. I ate an entire 12" low point sub from Subway for dinner and really needed to get that whole hour in. LOL But I am still within points.

Terri ... If you get an above ground pool... be sure to get the STRETCH liner and make part of it deeper. I think you can go to 6 foot in the center of a round... or at one end of an oblong pool. You will want to be able to do deep water workouts too. I think they make above ground pools semi submersable too. Dig them down two feet or so.... and they make deeper above ground pools now too. I love my water workouts. I wish I had bought a pool sooner. Also invest in a good filter system. We have the Baracuda vacumn system too. I hook it up and then I work out while it continually sweeps the pool for an hour. My kind of vacumning. LOL
P.S. ... congratulations on your successful garage sale. Love that $$$$

Thin... did you get to see any movies while being a "showgirl" ???
I really wanted to see "Breakup" the day it opened ... but just too busy.
I thought when your mom went to court... it was thrown out because the other person did not show up. Is this a new court event ???

BJ .. I am looking for a dog crate for my daughter too. I hope I am as lucky as you.

Lilion.. can I bring my sewing over to you ?? I have a LOT of patching to do.
Your kind of sewing sounds like more fun.

Ruth .... I canned once .... and NEVER again. LOL I admire you.

Sue... congrats on eating on plan AND doing your exercises.

Okay... hope I did not miss anyone. I know there are a few of you still missing. Hope you all come back this weekend.
Barbg... how's the job ?? How's the family ?? How is everything ???

I am out of here. I was up until 3am last night.. and I am definitely getting to bed by midnight tonight. I want to get up early and get a workout in before the company gets here. That way I will only miss Sunday.

I sure wish someone had started a new thread before I wrote this long post. LOL But if I do post this ... then someone will start a new thread and that is good too. LOL
Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

LOL .... Thanks Terri ... LOL
That is really nice of you to take such good care of me.

Since no one has posted since me last night... there are no replies. LOL
I guess I will go swim instead. Have a great day.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #4  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, are you enjoying your weekend? Hope so!

Hello Terri and 2cute, ah ha! This is the time to post, you don't have any replies to do huh?

Lilion, what do you stuff your zucchini with? I have tons of recipes but I haven't tried any of them. I just finished putting 4 qts. in the freezer to make bread with at a later date. Actually muffins are better, you get more crust. I need to find a way to take some of the calories out of them.

DH just went to run an errand so I thought I would do a quick post while he is out from under foot. Love that man but he can be like a kid, wants attention.

I am trying to have a really op weekend for a change. Weekends are a problem. DH always wants something like pizza or whatever else he can think of that is not good for us. Plus I think he is tired of veggies after eating them all week. I will have to steer him to something a little more healthy this time. Wish me luck!

Well that didn't take long he is back and looking for me. I don't guess I can hide out in here. Take care, Ruth
Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

We're plugging away trying to clean out storage garages. I can't believe that I still have stuff in storage garages after moving two years ago. We had to put all our possessions in storage because we had an interval of 6 weeks before we got possession of our other house. Then it seemed like one event after another kept us from ever getting everything out, like my husband's father passing away and having to deal with all the stuff in his house. Now, finally we're able to deal with our own junk and, believe, me quite a lot is going to goodwill or the dump.

Ruth, the closest I've ever gotten to canning is making wine jelly in wine glasses for Christmas gifts one year. Oh, and I did a bunch of those "Jar" gift mixes with my daughter. I do admire those who "can," however.

BJ
Old 06-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #6  

Exclamation New and could use support!

Hi, all--

Please, I could use some serious sisterly diet support.

I am in shock. I finally weighed myself today, in preparation for starting the South Beach diet (first diet I have done in many years.) I have been fluctuating between 280-310 for the last few years, and I knew I'd gained weight this winter, but I was not prepared for...

342 pounds.

342 pounds

342 pounds

Holy crap. I started to cry; I was so sick to my stomach.

Some history: I am 43, married with a 21 year old son and an 11 year old daughter (yes, I needed a 10 year break between kids.) I have had excellent luck three different times in my life losing major amounts of weight.

1. Age 21--I lost 55 pounds on the old Overeaters Anonymous program (very strict; protein, veggies and one fruit a day. No breads, pasta, potatoes, or any starches.)
2. Age 22--(post birth of son) I lost 45 pounds on same program (not breastfeeding)
3. Age 28 -- lost 55 pounds--same diet.

The problem is it is almost impossible to never eat bread, pasta, etc and I couldn't figure out how to incorporate those things and still lose weight.

In addition, I have lost 10-15 pounds many times in the spring to combat post-winter weight gain (I live in the chilly NE.) I have found the Zone to be an excellent way to lose weight and feel good.

But not this spring; quite the opposite in fact. My health is suffering. I am having a really hard time just WALKING AROUND this spring, and I know it's time. It's time--it's time.

Please, any help/support/encouragement you all can give would be really really helpful.

I've checked out some of the diet sites and the "i really need to lose 10 lbs I'm such a fat pig" crowd is making me crazy. I need to lose I DON"T EVEN KNOW how much weight--I'd love to get under 200 but frankly, I like having meat on my bones and I think plump is sexy. But this fat is not sexy and it's in fact very dangerous. I don't want to die from fat! I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory, you know what I mean? Like saving orphans from a burning building or something.

Anyhow--thank you for reading this far and I welcome any thoughts/encouragement/advice especially from any other SBer's out there or similar programs. I have had great luck on the Zone diet was well (very similar to SB, actually)

Please, let me hear from you and I will support you as well. We're in this together, right sisters?

Hang in there and let's talk soon--

~Maribelle, ready to finally get to work!
Old 06-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #7  

Lightbulb New on South Beach diet and looking for support!

Hi, all--

Please, I could use some serious sisterly diet support.

I am in shock. I finally weighed myself today, in preparation for starting the South Beach diet (first diet I have done in many years.) I have been fluctuating between 280-310 for the last few years, and I knew I'd gained weight this winter, but I was not prepared for...

342 pounds.

342 pounds

342 pounds

Holy crap. I started to cry; I was so sick to my stomach.

Some history: I am 43, married with a 21 year old son and an 11 year old daughter (yes, I needed a 10 year break between kids.) I have had excellent luck three different times in my life losing major amounts of weight.

1. Age 21--I lost 55 pounds on the old Overeaters Anonymous program (very strict; protein, veggies and one fruit a day. No breads, pasta, potatoes, or any starches.)
2. Age 22--(post birth of son) I lost 45 pounds on same program (not breastfeeding)
3. Age 28 -- lost 55 pounds--same diet.

The problem is it is almost impossible to never eat bread, pasta, etc and I couldn't figure out how to incorporate those things and still lose/maintain weight.

In addition, I have lost 10-15 pounds many times in the spring to combat post-winter weight gain (I live in the chilly NE.) I have found the Zone to be an excellent way to lose weight and feel good.

But not this spring; quite the opposite in fact. My health is suffering. I am having a really hard time just WALKING AROUND this spring, and I know it's time. It's time--it's time.

Please, any help/support/encouragement you all can give would be really really helpful.

I've checked out some of the diet sites and the "i really need to lose 10 lbs I'm such a fat pig" crowd is making me crazy. I need to lose I DON"T EVEN KNOW how much weight--I'd love to get under 200 but frankly, I like having meat on my bones and I think plump is sexy. But this fat is not sexy and it's in fact very dangerous. I don't want to die from fat! I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory, you know what I mean? Like saving orphans from a burning building or something.

Anyhow--thank you for reading this far and I welcome any thoughts/encouragement/advice especially from any other SBer's out there or similar programs. I have had great luck on the Zone diet was well (very similar to SB, actually)

Please, let me hear from you and I will support you as well. We're in this together, right sisters?

Hang in there and let's talk soon--

~Maribelle, ready to finally get to work!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #8  

Hi Mariabelle!

Welcome to the group. No more crying! You are on the right path because you're facing realty and ready to make some changes. I happen to love South Beach. My biggest problem right now is as soon as I say I'm doing SB, DH fixes stuff that is bread, potatoes, rice or pasta and then pleads ignorance. I've given in the last few days and just done with what he's suggested. But it is such a healthy eating plan.

Look forward to getting to now more about you and give you support as well. Jump in often and when you can - you'll love this bunch of ladies. We also do a little tough love when necessary.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #9  

Hi, Terri!

Thank you SO MUCH for responding. Yes, I need tough love every now and then.

Okay, I'm off to get an SB approved snack. I just hope the refrigerator doesn't open up and gobble me up!

If I'm not back in 10 minutes, send in the jaws of life!

Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there. and ! Come and join us on the South Beach Diet Forum. There's lots of support, helpful hints and friendly Beachers there. I believe MsCrockett posts in here and on the Beach Forum. Beachgal is another successful Beacher who has lost a lot of weight.
Come in - the water's fine!
Old 06-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Maribelle

Wow! I could have written your post back in August when I went to the doctor and found out what I weighed after being in denial for a long time. I did the crying and was in shock! How could I have gotten to 346 lbs? Like you, something in me clicked and I knew it was time to get serious and lose weight.

You're at the right place. There are lots of great people who can offer support on South Beach. I'm doing somersize, which sounds similar to SB in a lot of ways. Feel free to pm me if you need a buddy.

You might also want to check out the 100 lb. club forum. Lots of good info there for people who want to lose 100 lbs or more.

Hope to see you around.
Tammy

Last edited by jtammy; 06-03-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #12  

Default Hi, Ruthxx and Tammie

Thank you ladies for your kind responses.

It is so nice to know I am not alone out here.

Hi, Ruthxx--Thanks for your support! Which site do you recommend for South Beach supporters? I logged on to one of them today and that's how I found this site. I particularly like the idea of sharing recipes and menu plans--phase 1 looks pretty intense, not unlike the OA diet I did for so long (and had great luck with). It's been so long! I was in my 20's then and I am in my 40's now.

Hi, Tammie--Wow! You lost 89 lbs since August??? Good for you!! Thanks for the PM offer. By the way, I checked on my listing and I didn't sign up for PM ing. Must have missed that--anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks again for the great welcomes!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi Mari:
Welcome to our little corner of the world. I'm sure by now that you're wondering what happened to the thread you started. Well..............I merged it with this one and then noticed that you had posted here too. Oh well. I wanted everyone to see your "story" so I put it in here. Hope you don't mind.

I tried to Private Message you my standard "welcome" note, but you have that option turned off in your preferences so I'll just write here.

I'm the moderator for the "300+" area. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to our area and share some navigational tips.

At the top of the 300+ Area's list of threads you will notice several "sticky" threads. All this means, simply, is that those threads are permanently stuck to the top of the list so that they are easy to find and don't drop off when they are not used as often as the rest of the forums.

You will find some very good stuff in some of those. There is one with pictures, one is our recipes, bios, weigh-in, etc. When you enter each of them, the first post will tell you basically what the thread is about. You're welcome to join in and post in any of these.

The folks on the threads are from all walks of life, all different ages, following many different plans and are of all shapes and sizes. What we have in common is a genuine love of people and the willingness to share ups and downs, failures and successes.

I hope this helps some. We are always happy to see new-comers join us. Please grab a bottle of water, skootch in your chair and join us for some great conversation.

If you should ever have any questions or need anything, please feel free to PM me.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi again, Mari: I think Ruthxxx is probably talking about our own 3 Fat Chicks, South Beach area. There's a whole section. You can find it here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110
Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 7"

Maribelle -
We are so glad you're here. Yup, we know what it's like to be out of breath after walking across a parking lot - slowly.

I basically eat South Beach Phase II, and it is a good plan.

But I have learned that it's not just what I put in my mouth - it's how I live my life. I was over 300 lbs (don't know how much - we didn't own a scale, and when we bought one I was already down to 290), and just knew that it was time to stop.

What I learned from the South Beach diet book was 1) what the food I was eating was doing to my body, 2) how I could change this, and 3) that I needed to plan my food - I couldn't be busy, and just grab whatever food whereever.

And I exercise between 30 and 60 mins per day, at least 5 days a week.

Because I'm 57, I don't lose weight fast, but I do lose. I've lost about 30 lbs in 6 months, dropped 2 sizes, dropped 4 inches from my waist and, oh, yeah, my blood pressure when I donated blood yesterday was 118 over 80.

So start studying about what a healthy life would be, and try different things to see how it fits into your life. Don't expect instant results, but expect results.

I'm so glad you're here - hope to see you post a lot!
Closed Thread