Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Weighty Issues #41: June 06

to the June edition of our Weighty Issues thread.

We're well on our way toward summer. That means sun , surf, sand, shorts, swimsuits and hey, who doesn't wanna look good and more importantly, FEEL good instead of ----> Need some new inspiration? We're a group of wonderful women from different walks of life, spread out from the US east coast to the west , the Pacific and
the Far East and even Down Under (sorry Maggzs, that's the closest I could get to a Roo )

We support each other through the highs and lows of every day life--it's not just about weight loss , it's about LIFE . If you have something to say or need a shoulder to cry on , come on in,
grab a chair and stay awhile. You'll be glad you did.

melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Good morning ladies, since I'm the first one here to post today, I figured I'd start the new thread. I'm just back from my walk , then I went to the store to pick up some lt. soy milk and sandwich meats, alfalfa sprouts and healthy stuff so I won't be tempted to eat cr@p at lunch time. Yay me! Last night when we came home from karate lessons the road in front of my neighbors house was wet--water was coming up through the asphalt. So Rick spray painted the area and called the 24-hr board of water line to have them come out and take a look. They still insist that it's a natural spring and that there's nothing they can do about it. Our yard is now 2" deep in water (think mud bog). The city just did a repaving project in February so they're probably reluctant to go digging up the brand new road... but still, I wish they'd do something before our entire row of houses turns into a swamp.

I'm glad you guys could view the pics of my new baby niece...(I emailed them to those I had email addresses for, if you want to see them, PM me w/your email address). She is precious and I totally can't wait til she gets here.

Dips, the guy is trying, I guess you could give him a second chance while it's still early in the game. If he doesn't meet your standards, then I would say see ya!

Angie, ouch on those blisters! If you can get it, use Aloe like Cal said, natural from the plant, or a gel from the store. That should alleviate some of the pain and help heal up your skin. Yes, asparagus can make your pee smell... but I like it anyway

Claire, measuring inches is fine, you may not see results as quick as you would on a scale, but you will see results. Maybe you could measure once a month? Or same thing with a scale--take your first weigh in, then put it away until the next month and re-weigh. I weigh daily when I am on track, but weekly at WW. I dunno, it helps and motivates me to see changes daily, otherwise, I go off the deep end....but that's just me.

Hi Cal Julie Red Maggzs cw Kempy :LadyT and anyone I may have missed. I'll be back later, off to get some breakfast.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/164/140

Hi Everyone!

I started my fitness challenge today and did what I said I would do...yeeha! I did 25 minutes on my EFX machine and about 15 minutes of strength training and situps. I have been doing that about 3-4 times a week. I am hoping to keep it up in the month of June.

Now...the decision to buy a scale or not. Noelle, I think your idea is good. Buy one, weigh myself and measure myself, then put it away for a week or month. I am also debating on whether to go back to the South Beach diet. Honestly, I am afraid of failing. However, I know that nothing ventured...nothing gained. So...sometime within this week, I will go on either South Beach or some kind of diet plan. Any suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated.
Like I said yesterday...this is my weekend. It's been raining off and on...but it's given me good reason to clean. That's good exercise too. )
Hope you all are having a great day!
Oh...do I need to do anything special now that we have gone to a new thread? I am not really up on "threads"...so if anyone of you is techno savvy...fill me in.
Claire
Clairelinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #4  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Hey guys!! I have been busy today planting my garden and then we put flowers in the tree box and my light box out back and a few planters for the deck. Plus I got in 2 walks today so so far so good.

Noelle, I hope you can get somebody to fix your yard. You would think they would want to fix it too. You know what is wierd about the blisters? They are only where my t shirt sleeve is. I have been wearing tank tops since I burned to not irritate it but the last couple of days I wore T's. It is so gross.

Claire, WAY TO GO GIRL!!! You are rocking now!!

Well, I gotsta go find something to do. Talk to ya later
angieME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #5  

Only 4 more school days. Tomorrow is our last full day; the three days next week are all 1/2 days. I got all my grades put in and I'm done. Of course I tell my kiddos that everything they're doing now I'm still grading. I love to hear them moan and groan.

One week from today we leave for our trip. I can't believe it's so soon.

This week at school we've had field day in the morning. The kids are playing tournaments and tomorrow they have their championship games. They have been really having fun. Afterward, they have different classes they rotate through (one being sex ed); glad I'm not teaching that one.
After lunch they have regular classes. It sure is making the days go by faster. Tomorrow they get to have their yearbook signing party.
Yesterday my shoes died. They only had to last these last days, but one practically fell off my foot because the sole separated from the shoe. I refuse to buy another pair now, so I'm just wearing sandals.

I wish I had time to respond to everyone individually. Please know that I'm with all of you and cheering you on. I'm doing ok with the weight loss, only down 10 pounds, but no gain. I've been at this plateau for awhile, but I'm content.

Hello to everyone.

Have a great night.

Cal
calnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #6  
No Limit Souljah!!

Default Hello My Girlz!!

Well I finally did it. I got Niko Neutered. Last night was the first night I spent without him since I got him. I was weird. I need to call them up so I can get him before work. Hope he's not mad at me

In other news I knew it was going to thunderstorm last night but I left my umbrella at home because my boyfriend promised he would

pick me up from work. Then he got into a car accident in Jersey and had to have his car towed, I'm so insensitive that all I could think about was how I was going to get home through the rain {he's okay by the way, the car not so much} But when you work in retail you can bet on the lost and found producing umbrellas so I got home nice and dry

Noelle- The accident is the only thing I'm willing to excuse so he's lucky and unlucky at the same time.

Cal- I'm excited for you. Not much longer now til your trip!

Okay, YOGA time! TTYL
Dips'n'twists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #7  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Good Morning!!! Boy the backs of my legs are sore with all the bending over trying to plant yesterday. That is a good thing though. Plus, the yard looks so much nicer. Now I have to break apart my lillies after they all bloom and transplant them. I am getting the dogs chainlink fence shortened so I have more yard for us and so the garden isnt in there. We put stakes at the end of each row yesterday and when Jay came back with some more tomatoe plants we noticed that Mickey had pulled them out and ran off with them. Now I will have the whole length of the new fence to plant as well.

Cal, My kids still have 2 weeks of school left. How long will you guys be gone for your vacation? Have fun. WOOHOO for you!!!! 10 POUNDS IS AWESOME!!!

Dips, I am sorry that your boyfriend got in an accident. I am glad he is okay though. Good job on finding a way to get home dry. When we went to the greenhouse yesterday to buy some plants it started to downpour as soon as we got into town. Poor jay is bald so he hates to get wet. You should have seen us making a run for the greenhouse.

Well, I gotta go start some cooking.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Ladies...

Dips...I must have a very jaded view of men right now...cuz the first thing I thought about your boyfriend having an accident is that he staged it somehow. I guess I was burned way too many times by guys that I dated. I believed them all. They all seemed to have such believable stories. When I came out of my oooey gooey stage with them I started to see what all of my friends were seeing all along. I AM glad he is okay. I hope he gets back his car soon and you are able to see if he will be true to his word. Hang in there!

Angie...sounds like your yard is going to be beautiful. Our tomatoes have been planted now for about a month. It's our first attempt. I don't think we are doing it right cuz there are very few blooms. We do have some tomatoes growing though. We have already eaten some squash from our garden. That was pretty good. I have some herbs going...but realized the other day that they will just be ornamental in that I rarely have time to cook any more. My husband does most of the cooking.

Looks like we are going to have a clear day today. I guess that means we will be working outside some.

I am trying to get motivation to go work out. I know I need to...I will let you know if I make it or not.

Have a great day!
Claire
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  
Burning Bright!

S/C/G: 235/232/130

Good morning ladies!!! I thought I would poke my nose in, since I haven't been here for a few days. So I got the job! It is only part time, but still, it' something. I am an assistant to the Capital Campaign Director, back at the animal shelter here. 3 days a week, so hopefully I can cope with the stress, and not get burned out like before. I went riding last night. Midnight was such a good boy. I think he knew I was nervous, so instead of being a like he usually is, he was just a doll.

Claire - Hope you find your motivation for the day, get movin' and shakin'! I know what you mean about being burned by guys. I think I fell in love with my hubby because he was who he is from the start. He never hid a thing LOL it might be a bad testament to my taste though.

Angie - One of the things I hate most about being in an apartment is not having my yard to plant, and watch things grow. Plant a few for me OK? My grandma was so mad because she had planted a bunch of seeds earlier, and left stakes in, so she would know which flowers were which, and my little cousins (who should really know better) pulled all of the stakes out! I don't think my Grammie was ever so disgusted!

Dips - Good for you for getting your pup neutered!! I could go on and on about the necessity for spay/neuter, but ya'll wouldn't want me to get on my now would ya? (I have been dying to use that smilie!!) I hope he recovers well from the surgery. How old is Niko? On the boyfriend front - hmmm, seems a little convenient to have a crash on your way somewhere when you *promised"* not to be late. Oh well, maybe that's just my cynical nature coming out. MAybe the guy deserves a break...

cal - YAAAAAAAY!!!! Your sanity will shortly be restored! Plus you get to go on an awesome vacation!! Don't you just hate when something breaks just before you are through with it? One of my biggest pet peeves!

Noelle - Ugh! Sometimes city workers can be so obstinate. Like you care what the source of the water is, when your backyard is a bog! Although I suppose you would care if it was sewer water! I hope they get it all cleaned up for you soon! When is your neice due to arrive?

Well girls, I better get going doing something! Have a great day!!!
LadyTyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #10  

Hi everyone!

Sorry i've been MIA lately. I wanted to post this on the 31st in the evening, but then I remembered there would be a new sight. Then yesterday, I couldn't find you. Anyway, I've also been riding the pity party train and fighting depression. I've also started back eating way to much sugar just when I was doing good too. It started this last weekend with my daughter's 8th grade grad party. Too many carbs and sugar, and I've finally stepped on the scale this afternoon. Up five pds. Anyway, enough about my woes. You are all still so motivating and wonderful. It took me forever to finish reading your posts.

Dips, your a saint to let the guy have another chance. I also say bravo for you. When I was your age, I was still thinking "he'll change for me". Well, we all know that's a big load of crap. Just remember the two most important things (and I say this from much experience) make sure you have trust. No trust, no lasting relationship. & Make sure he's your best friend. I married my best friend almost 17 years ago. Oh yeah, and threre's another one: In church one morning the pastor talked to the men (luckily it was in front of us women) and said, "Men, in your marriage you can be happy or you can be right" Fortunately for me, my dh chooses to be happy instead of right. Anyway, I'll be praying for you. follow your gut instinct.

Angie, girl, you are my inspiration. I can't be around all those sweets, never mind making them. If it were me, itwould be: a taste for me to make sure it's okay. Another taste for me to make sure it's still okay. Anyway, you get the picture. Congrats on the weight loss. Oh yeah, aloe, girl. Get that aloe on that burn.

Claire, WELCOME!!! You'll love these ladies on this board. I've laughed, and I've cried. I’ve also been motivated. You’ll love them. I’m anxious to hear about the bioidentical HRT. I’ve been using a natural progesterone cream (AKA “happy cream”) What a wonderful difference it’s made in my life. I went from two weeks of total raging PMS to one or two days, if that. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found my happy cream.

Kemp, congrats on all the new and newly painted stuff. I’m dying to paint my kitchen. I can’t stand it anymore, but I can’t just paint. My dh has to retape and texture before I can paint.

Lady T, congrats on the new job. I'm very happy for you. Oh yeah, I haven’t done my body fat lately, but I found a website called: realage.com. It will tell you what age your body really is. It says I’m four years older than what I really am. UGH!!!

Cal, I’m so envious of your trip. I’d love to go to Europe to see all that history. Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Noelle, my dh is a utilities supervisor for our city. He's not rude, but always very helpful. However, if it's coming out of your neighbors yard, and it's not the pipes, it's your neighbors problem. Your neighbor is responsible to fix the problem. Also, your city may be willing to come in and pump all the water down. It's worth a try. Congrats on the new niece. I know several people adopting children overseas. It’s so awesome. A friend of mine just recently adopted. They had been waiting a while, when they finally received a call about a premie in Northern Cali. They spend weeks traveling 3 hours to bond with this child. When it came time to take him home, mom decided she wanted to keep him. Anyway, three months later, she got a phone call there was a little girl for adoption. They were able to adopt her. She’s so beautiful. Anyway, a month after adopting their little girl, they got a call from the adoption agency stating the little premie boy was back up for adoption. Now, she has two babies. They are both so sweet. Sorry for the long story, but it’s such an awesome story.

Anyway, hello to everyone else. I hope not to be MIA for so long.
cwneeds2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #11  

I decided to post a little this evening. We had our last full day today; only 3 half days next week.

Angie: I would love to have a nice garden. Unfortunately, about the only thing that will grow here is cactus. We will be gone just about 5 weeks. We return on July 11. I'm just about all packed. Once I do laundry tonight or tomorrow, I'll pack the last of everything.

Noelle: I hope that water mess is fixed for you. I can't wait to see more pictures of your niece, she is so adorable.

Dips: I'm glad to hear that your bf is ok. I really hope things work out the way you want them.

Kempy: My sister drove through NO on her way to Mobile and said she's had nothing but rain. I guess it's really missing you. Here we'll hear about chances of rain and can even smell it, but usually get nothing but dust.

LT: Congrats on the job. I'm sure you'll do great with it.

CW: Welcome back. We're always here for you.

Claire: Enjoy working outside. Here it is too hot (108 today). I do enjoy the mornings though; it's really nice then.

Julie: Hope everything is going well with you. Is the weather being nice to you?

Red: Thinking about you and hoping you are well. Have you been riding lately? Take care of yourself.

Cal
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 PM   #12  

Good Evening Everyone...

I finally got motivated this morning and did 21 minutes of cardio and about 15 minutes of strength training and sit ups. I am doing pretty good in the fitness category...but I gotta tell you...I am truly falling off the wagon when it comes to my eating. I had french fries last night and today (my biggest weakness!) and ice cream tonite...not to mention chips and salsa for dinner. You woulda thought I hadn't eaten in weeks. sheesh!
Okay...so I have taken out my South Beach Diet book and I will look at it tonite and come up with some kind of plan. My assistant at work has told me that she is starting her diet and exercise plan as well. She joined Curves. So...I have to get going.
CW it's nice to meet you. I feel your pain on the eating. Tomorrow is a new day! Right???
Back to work tomorrow. woohoo! Have a great evening!
Claire
Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #13  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Good Morning everyone!!! Remember the rain I said we were supposed to get all week? Well, It finally came today. The last few days we were expecting cool and rain and we had HOT and MUGGY!!!! UUUGGHHH!! I hate it when the air is so heavy that it feels like you can't get a breath. Of course that makes sure the fence guy wont come up today and make the dogs fenced in area smaller. I cant wait to start landscaping that area.

I weighed in today and lost 3.5 pounds. So, I am thinking most of that is the scale change. I sure hope weight watchers works for me. On the plus side, I have 3.5 more pounds to go and I will be back to where I was in February when I fell off the wagon until now.

My whole right arm is peeling now. GROSS!!

Claire, This is our first garden too. I have wanted to try one forever but never got around to it. I am hoping everything grows okay because I would like to be able to give a bunch of fresh veggies to Jay's Grandma. She lives alone and her son and grandson have pretty much spent all of her money. I would like to be able to help her out without it seeming like I am helping her out. You know what I mean?

Great Job on working out and as for the eating...like you said...today is a new day. You will get it, I know you will.

LT, YEAH!!!! I am so happy that you got your job. Hug all the animals for me. I am glad to hear that Midnight took it easy on you. What a good boy.

CW, Don't you hate it when one event can throw off your whole diet? I do that at some of the stupidest things. My last mess up was because the kids had a week off from school. I have no idea why that triggered me but it did in a big way. Climb aboard and we can all get to where we want to be.

Luckily for me the bakery isnt really a big problem for me....unless I try new recipes then I feel like I need to sample. But usually I have dollar signs on all the food and dont want to eat the profit. Take out is my big problem.

Cal, 108!!! Holy cow, how do you guys handle that kind of heat? Vaca is getting closer. Your hubby's family must be getting so excited that you all are coming to visit too.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #14  

Yawn...good morning, women... My alarm went off this morning and for some reason I thought I could just keep on sleeping. Then something in my brain told me that it was Saturday...time to get ready for work. So, I thought I would check here before I started the process.
Thanks for the encouragement, Angie...and WTG on the 3.5 pounds! Keep going! I relooked at the South Beach thingy...and will at least do a modified version of it before I fully jump into it. I am one of those people that rarely jump into the pool full bodied...I am always inching in. Pain avoidance...what can I say.
I hope your garden produces all that you want it to. It's sweet that you want the veggies for Jay's Grandma. I know that when you give...it always comes back to you. You will probably end up having a bumper crop due to your motivation. )
LT...I forgot to say a big WTG on the job! I am sure you are excited. Doesn't matter if it's PT...it's a job! Woohoo!
Cal...I am with Angie on the heat. Didn't you say you were from AZ? I have actually built homes for some clients coming from AZ recently for the very reason that their kids could never play outside because of the heat. wow. It gets hot here in TX...but it's usually in August and early September. I like to think of it as our "winter" in that most stay inside until it has passed.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #15  

We have a saying here..."But it's a dry heat!" It is dry, the humidity usually hovers around 10%; anything higher is miserable. In fact, after we got back to AZ last year (from our trip back east), it was 117, but it felt great because it was dry. We can still get things done outside early in the morning, and for later, there's always the malls!!! (Come to think of it, maybe that's why we have so many malls here.)

I've gotta start laundry, I have a lot to do if I want to get everything packed.
Have a great day everyone.