Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

Unhappy why am i SO fatigued???

i feel SO drained lately-- it's this weird weak feeling like i am zapped of all energy. and i am a bit irritable. i kept thinking i was having spouts of low blood sugar or had exercised too much, but the feeling is continuing after a few days of proper eating and decreased exercise.

i'm starting to think it might be the heat, so i've cut the AC on...

it's hard for me to work out. i'm gonna try to go to the gym today anyways and do an intro-to-step class (shouldn't be too vigorous).

any suggestions? should i exercise or not? i am drinking TONS of water and peeing all the time, so i don't think i am dehydrated.

thanks,
kate
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

is TOM due soon? I know the week before mine is due I feel like CRAP (like right now) and I just go with it and do some exercises like Pilates and leave the running for another day. I know if I get my heartrate up too much I'll crash before dinner time... If you're lightheaded maybe try upping your iron intake? I know when mine is low it makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

If I drop my calories to around 1200 and try to do any sort of meaningful exercise .... I feel like that. What feels better is to increase a bit say 15 or 1600 cals in five or six small meals, making sure there is protein in each.

I'm alarmed by this sentence ... feeling is continuing after a few days of proper eating and decreased exercise ....

Did you change from what you were eating to lose weight to "proper eating"?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
If I drop my calories to around 1200 and try to do any sort of meaningful exercise .... I feel like that. What feels better is to increase a bit say 15 or 1600 cals in five or six small meals, making sure there is protein in each.

I'm alarmed by this sentence ... feeling is continuing after a few days of proper eating and decreased exercise ....

Did you change from what you were eating to lose weight to "proper eating"?
to clarify what i meant-- improper eating was the amount of ice cream i was consuming. i am hypoglycemic, so i already strive to do the mini-meals, and i think the ice cream was making my blood sugar whacky. but i have stopped that because tuesday night i found a big bug in my ice cream, so i shudder to even THINK about ice cream now!!! and it is RARE that i eat below 1500 cal/day-- i even ate loads of protein the past few days to see if that would help (100+grams compared to my 70 grams i normally eat).

it might be a TOM issue, even though i am not due for another 2 weeks. it could just be ovulation affecting me

i think i'll continue to take it easy and see if that helps. i started on these prenatal vitamins that have 27mg of iron, so i'm sure i am not having an anemic episode. going to the gym won't hurt, and i'll stop early if i feel weak.

thanks for the input... and if there's more-- keep it coming!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I love ice cream! It is one of my downfalls Can I use the mental picture of the bug in yours?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #6  

i wish i had had a digital camera so i could send the pic to the manufacturer (a well-known national brand). i usually inhale my ice cream, but i was lucky this time because i actually spotted it before putting it in my mouth!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

AHH!! You should sue their pants off! BLECK!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Kate I get lazy sometimes for no apparent reason, I just want to sleep, not exercise or eat right. But I just plug away eat properly and continue to exercise to the best of my ability of the moment. It often lasts up to two weeks... Then after the rest I get a spurt of energy and I am back to normal.

As I am typing this I realise that maybe it's because I overtrained and my body just needed some down time. Have you been overtraining? Doing more than usual at work at home? If it doesn't go away in a few weeks see your doctor for a good check up.

Also are you taking some vitamins, it's possible that because you watching what you eat you are not getting all your vitamins...

Just some thoughts, hope this helps... Keep us posted on your progress or lack of...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Another thing that pops to mind is if you're getting enough sleep, or maybe something is disturbing your sleep. You also might just be coming down with a cold.

I hope you're back to normal soon.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #10  

I've had a quick look at your fitday and your diet looks really good (bette than mine I have to say!).

You mention prenatal vitamins, could you be

Are you taking regular rest days. I felt like that consistently for two weeks, and was really teary and strung out, then depressed, which is not like me.

So I started having enforced rest days twice a week. I swim, do yoga, or some walking on those days, but no hard cardio or weight training.

Never did I think I would see the day when staying out of the gym is harder than going to it
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have energy fluctuations, some weeks I'm high as a kite, some weeks it takes a cattle prod to get me out of my chair...

I would just take it easy for a little while and listen to your body. If it feels really pants, then take a complete rest day and you might want to spike your calories up to maintenance level for one day a week.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #12  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

Kate,

I've been hypothryoid for 15 years now. If this exhaustion continues please consider going in for a checkup. Thyroid disease isn't as uncommon as some think, especially in woman.

Your fatigue may be temporary or it may be a symptom of an underlying health issue. Keep an eye on it and be aware of your body.

Susan
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good point, Susan. I had a thyroid tumor and had absolutely NO energy for months; but now that I have gotten the meds regulated properly my energy levels are zooming back up again. BUT Kate, the cause of your exhaustion could just be because you are getting so much exercise! I certainly do feel more tired and ready for sleep when I am getting in so much exercise!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #14  

thanks for all the replies-- i am feeling a little better today. my stomach has been cramping funny, so i figure i am either PMS-ing or expecting. either way, i am taking it easy on myself. i went for a relaxing run today, and that helped with the cramps and my mood.