South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #1  

Post Preteens on the beach??????????????

Hi guys haven't been on for awhile. It is amazing how busy kids can keep you . Speaking of kids I was wondering if the Beach is a safe plan for kids? Mine are 11 1/2 and 9 1/2. My oldest is almost 5 foot 4 and looks more like a 14 15 year old but at the same time is a little too heavy. My younger one is also a little too heavy. I have been having success with this plan and lifestyle change but I want to know if it is safe to put children on the first phase or would phase 2 be best or just try something different? I do know a fair bit of nutrition and the daily needs for the food groups. So any suggestions?

I know they need to get some weight off. They ARE GREAT WITH VEGGIES but I know in time(and patients and a few arguements which I will win) they will learn to like them. If you have any great ideas to get them to eat these yummy things please pass them on . also for more whole grains in theer and my husbands diet. Thanks for listening. and of course your help.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Barbie, dieting is NOT a good thing for pre-teens and can lead to eating disorders in this day and age.
However, you could follow the South Beach principles to ensure your children are eating healthy (i.e. unprocesssed) foods as much as possible. Check out our recipe section for ideas to get more veggies and whole grains into your diet.
Congratulations on your success with this lifestyle change.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #3  

Dr Agatson does not recommend phase 1 for children. When I do a phase 1 meal, I often serve rice or pasta with it for my son. However my son does eat whole wheat bread and pasta and he eats Uncle Ben's converted rice. He eats more fruit and vegetables than he did before I started South Beach. I certainly think phase 2 is healthy for school age kids but I do not restrict the carbs in any way for my son. And he drinks lots of milk. Most kids can lose weight just by giving up sodas and drinking milk instead and avoiding fast food.

I often serve 2-3 vegetables per meal so my son has at least one that he likes. I ask him to eat one bite of everything. He eats regular school lunches too but then he is not overweight.

We also go out together and ride our bikes or take walks. Sometimes exercise is really lacking in kids.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

I split this off from the Newbie thread as it's important and might get lost.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #5  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Barb and Ruthann, just get back to the basics, no processed junk or refined sugars, serve healthy fats, lots of good veggie and fruit options and lean protein, whole grain products and they should be way ahead of the game.

***WARNING-serving children only healhty foods may cause an increase in energy
Old 06-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #6  

We have been doing the basics and exerciseing more and I NEVER would put them on a diet. I just reread my post and it should of read theey ARE NOT great with veggies.I guess I really meant is to follow the princilples of the SB plan.
I know all the eating disorder horrors and that is why I tread very softly with my girls(my sister in law was bulimc and anerexic so I do know those evils). It has always been a fear of mine with my children. I grew up overweught and battled it all my life and I really want to equip them with the proper tools to be a head of the game.
My husband fights white bread and rice but is comming around.I think he is going to cause me more resistance than the kids on all the changes I am planning on doing. I just find that getting rid of all the refined sugars and bad fats and white flour and sugar I feel better and want the rest of my famuly to feel great too.

How long do you think my family will resist the changes (even if they are small one at a time)?LOL I think on some issues there will be conflict but I keep telling myself I can live with them mad at me over foodd but not if they die or develope diseases I could of helpt prevent. So I am in it for the long haul. Thank goodness for this site I tell ya!!!!

I guess my question should of been,"is it ok for kids to follow the basic princibles of the diet and should carbs be watched or only changed to the whole grain healthy variety?" Like I know h2o melon is a big no no but for kids it should be ok in moderation right ? If my goal is fruit and veggies for them, instead of junk is that an ok compromise? They do eat oranges greapes apples cantaloupe berries so I just want them to eat more variety, it is veggies that are the sticler.

Ruthxxx thanks for the info. Just wanted to say you guys do a great job here abnd I don't think I would be as successful if I didnt Have this site. THANKS>
Also being newer here when you say you split this off, where did you put it and how can I find It?

Barb0522 I will definitly try to find different recipes for them Thanks

Batmomm2000 Thanks for the excess energy warning,!!!!! But when It comes to my girls they are worth the risk!!!!

I have lost 12 pounds and am working at 10 more. I must make one of those things to track it on here!!!!!

Thanks again

Last edited by barbie40; 06-01-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

You found it just fine! I made it a seperate thread.

I wouldn't be concerned about the number of carbs, just be sure they are whole grain ones. As to watermelon, who would think of a kid not being able to eat watermelon?

As to how long it will take them to get used to it, just as long as you stick to your guns. Mothers are usually the ones who decide on food, right?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #8  

There are something that my husband still refuses to eat but I have no problem getting Brian to eat. For instance DH doesnt' care for chicken but Brian and I love it. And DH eats Tostitos but I don't mind him keeping them since they are not a trigger for me. Yes, DH desperately needs to lose weight but he is an adult and I can't force him to change. I do buy him Mission Whole Wheat tortillas which he and Brian like better than the La Tortilla Whole wheat ones that I eat. The La Tortilla are healthier than the Mission but the Mission are much heathier than the ones we used to buy. And there are many breads, sandwich buns, bagels and English muffins that taste just as good (or better) than the ones we used to eat.

I do control what Brian eats though and I try to make sure that he will eat the same stuff as us at least 5 or 6 days a week. For one meal a week, I let him eat something he likes while I fix something he won't touch (like shrimp stir fry).

I don't worry about how many carbs my son eats but I do add lots of vegetables to them. For instance, if I make pasta there will be at least two veggies mixed in. And experiment with veggies. Brian will eat some with a little soy sauce and garlic or ginger. He'll eat some I never thought of fixing like spinach. I mix spinach in with just about every casserole and mix spinach or kale in with soups. Three bean salad is healthy and many kids like that. We're eating more salads now too. And oven fried chicken is really good. Spray it with a little nonstick spray before cooking and it gets crispy like fried.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #9  

I do decide the food but when the husband complains or puts up a fuss the kids react too. I dig my heals in on the kids but they say what about dad? I tell he is abig boy I can't make him but I can make you!!!! HEE HEE and that is ok I think about 1 month and they should adjust dad will before trying to adjust HAHA but I think you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!!! He will learn eventually.

Thanks for all the help. I will be starting all this with my family tommorrow and I will Keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #10  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

You're right, your kids will def adjust and then you can also be sneaky too, lol. We use Boca chik'n's instead of regular chicken nuggets, we started with WW pasta by mixing it half and half with regular. For non-diet-y tasting sodas, you can mix a smidge of juice iwth seltzer water.

As for watermelon, ya gotta do it, it's summer!
Closed Thread