Old 05-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #1  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Default Eaten anything interesting lately?

Ok. So my DF and I are sooooo tired of my variations on chicken. I don't eat pork and rarely eat beef but I do like ground turkey. Has anyone tried any new good recipes with chicken or ground turkey as the meat portion? Or if you just have an awesome recipe you think I should try? I LOVE cooking and we're very open about the other things (veggie and side dish-wise). I've reached the end of my repertoire and am looking to expand it. Also, if anyone knows of any really great websites or cookbooks available that have a lot of good healthy recipes, please point me in that direction. I don't want to bore my poor husband's tastebuds for the rest of our lives! Thanks!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Chicken Nepiev (2 portions, about 313 cals/portion)

1 chicken breast
salt
pepper
2 portions of laughing cow low fat garlic/herb cheese spread
1 egg, beaten (you'll use only 1/2 to 1/3 of it)
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Smash chicken to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 2 roughly equal pieces. Salt and pepper each side to taste. Spread one side with the cheese spread. Roll w/ that side towards the center (like a Cordon Bleu), fasten with toothpicks. Dip into egg, then lightly roll through the breading.

In a skillet over medium heat, bring olive oil to temp, then spread thinly with a spatula and add chicken. Saute, turning as needed, to lightly brown all sides. Remove and place in a small oven pan. Place in oven for about 20 min, or until juices run clear.

This can be made without the breading, egg, and oil. It still tastes very nice, and is then only 210 cals/serving.

---------

Parmesan Chicken with Wine (2 servings, about 270 cals/portion)

1 chicken breast
salt
pepper
1 egg, beaten (again, only part will be used)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup white wine

Cut chicken into "strip" sized pieces. Salt and pepper to taste, dip in egg, then roll through parmesan cheese. Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and saute each side until lightly browned. Add wine, bring heat down to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 min, or until meat is not pink. I don't use the wine for a sauce or anything, but I guess you could if wanted.

I know these aren't the lowest calorie recipies in the world, I usually pair them with a low-cal veggie dish.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I make mini turkey meatloaves - mix ground turkey with some finely minced onion, bell pepper, and any other veggies you have around that would shred well into the meat mixture, along with a couple tablespoons of ketchup, and if it seems try, a quarter cup or so of egg beaters or one whole egg. Make sure you don't skip the onion - it helps to keep the meatloaves moist. I usually use one big onion, minced, for 8 servings.

divide the mixture evenly into twice the number of portions you want to make (one of the standard 1.25 lb. turkey packages makes 4 servings for us, so I divide the meat mixture into eighths). Shape each into a ball and place in a standard size muffin tin. Spread the tops with a mix of 2 parts ketchup to 1 part of your favorite barbeque sauce. Bake these at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until they register as done on a meat thermometer. A serving is 2 of the mini-loaves. I usually serve these with 3/4 c. of roasted potato wedges (just cut potatoes into little wedges and put them on a PAM-sprayed baking pan with a little bit of salt - put these in the oven 10 minutes before your meatloaves go in and it should all be done at the same time), and a veggie - if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just throw some good roasting veggies in the pan with the potatoes (turnips, beets, carrots, etc), or I'll serve with a grilled veggie of some kind (my favorites - grilled zucchini strips marinated in balsalmic, or grilled veggie skewers)

Lately I've been buying turkey cutlets and making fajitas on days when I don't have a ton of time to cook. Just marinate the meat in a fajita marinade and chop up a heaping pile of onions and bell peppers into long, thin strips. In a pan on med-high heat, cook the onions and bell peppers until they are somewhat caramelized and soft (stir them every once in a while so they cook evenly). In another pan (I use a grill pan) grill the marinated turkey until done. Cut into strips. I serve my fajitas on low-carb, low-fat tortillas (50 cals each, and 8 grams of fiber!) - just layer on the veggies and a small portion of the meat, plus salsa, lowfat or fat free sour cream, and other low-cal fajita toppings. I sometimes make "refried" beans to go with this - I take a can of black beans and mash them pretty well with a fork, then add 1-2 laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedges and let them cook down. The beans get that "refried" texture with minimal fat, while providing additional protein and fiber. I'll also sometimes make a salad with a lime dressing - pairs really well with the Mexican flavors going on in the fajitas, and you can pile it on top of your fajitas to cool off the burn from the salsa.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #4  
Aleecia

I'm on a spicy kick right now, but here's a couple of things I've tried.

Spicy version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. Similar to andoreth's, except I take a jalepeno, fill it with low fat cream cheese and then roll it inside the chicken. In the bread crumbs I add a pinch of hot pepper flakes and a pinch of cumin.

Another dish I like is they sell hot italian turkey sausage. I take that cut it into bit size pieces and cook with peppers(red, yellow or green) whichever you prefer, and onions. I then eat it over a little bit of brown rice or I wrap it in a low fat wheat tortilla.

Well that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope to find some new ideas as well.
Good Luck and happy cooking
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

YUM, good recipe ideas! I make the Chicken Nepiev a lot around here without the breadcrumbs... it's still WAY yummy, I saute some spinach and put it in the middle too, even my 2 year old will eat it! Ground turkey meatloaf is really good, there are a million different things you can stuff chicken with, stir fry, fajitas... all yummy!! We don't eat red meat here so I'm always on the lookout for good poultry recipes!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Curry Turkey burgers!

1 package of ground turkey
1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, diced
1 tbsp of hot curry (I use the paste but you can use powder too, may want to experiment if you use powder with how much to add)
1 tsp of ground ginger (fresh or powdered)

You can also add some cayenne pepper if you want them a bit spicier. Last time I made these, I also added oatmeal (why not?) but you can add various spices to get what you like. Anyway, mix all ingredients together, form into patties and throw on the grill (I use a foreman grill). I served with a green pepper chutney, tomatoes and lettuce on 100% whole wheat bread. You can make these with some yam oven baked fries (slice up yams so they look like fries, spray a oven pan with pam, season with salt and pepper, spread them out, cook for 45 minutes at 400? - not sure about temperature, might have to look it up).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:07 PM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

These sound like great recipes. I am going to check the commissary for some ground turkey in the frozen section. I would love to try the mini meatloaves. I think my BF would like them as well.

Thanks chicks!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #8  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'll try to come back and give you some recipes, but I hear my 2 year old calling me! I just have to give a shout out here! I love allrecipes.com!!! LOVE it! You can search by ingredients you have on hand or just look around. You can read reviews on each recipe and see modifications that others have tried. It's very helpful. Tonight I am making Lime Chicken Soft Tacos (Link here for recipe.). I cube the chicken breasts, then marinade it all day in a double portion of the marinade and then simmer it all together until the liquid is gone. I serve it on warmed, extra thin corn tortillas (2 for 80 calories) with a little cabbage, avocado, cilantro, salsa and cojita cheese...whatever you like! Just an idea of where to look - aside from here of course! He-he, my 2 year old just came and found me!!

Last edited by Nori71; 05-31-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #9  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Default Balsalmic Chicken

This is one of our favorite chicken recipes:
Ingredients

2 tsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove(s), crushed
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces
2 cup mushroom(s), small, halved
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled

Instructions

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil.
In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.
Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.
Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in skillet. Sauté mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.
Serve chicken topped with mushrooms

I have made it without the chicken broth and thyme. We like it both ways

A family member has been raving about "diet coke" chicken. Here is the link to the recipe that she gave me but I haven't made it yet.

http://d21c.com/Seabird44/recipes/ma...etcokchic.html

HTH
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

I like to do cabbage rolls with ground chicken/turkey. I don't have a recipe handy, but I just use the the regular cabbage roll recipe with ground beef and substitute the meat. The last recipe I found was at allrecipes.com too (nods to Nori). Let me see if I can track it down and I'll post.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I use ground turkey for turkey burgers, in pasta sauce (as well as turkey sausage), and in fajitas/tacos/taco salads.

Last week, I took a package of lean boneless skinless chicken breast (maybe just over a pound), cut it up into small strips, and cooked in the crockpot with 1 can of black beans, 1 cup of salsa, some added frozen veggies (onion and corn are my preference), and about 6 oz of cream cheese. YUM! I've also done it without the cream cheese and just mixed in some fat-free shredded cheddar cheese until it melted. I either eat it alone in a bowl or scoop with a slotted spoon (to drain out some of the liquid) and eat on a whole-wheat tortilla.

I'm lazy, so I LOVE crock pot recipes--less preparation and fewer dishes to clean!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #12  
for me, for them

Ok, so I'm drooling right now. Really, though, these all sound like great recipes and ideas. I can't wait to start trying them. I'm shamelessly copying them down now . You guys are the best! I took a peek at the website, looks great! Especially the ingredient search since I rarely have a lot of variety in my kitchen.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #13  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

One thing I really like All Recipies is the ability to scale down a recipe. Even the recipies that look too high in calories often still fit into my diet plan. I just scale the recipe down to 1 portion, and then my SO and I split that portion. Just make sure you realize that it will not go below 1/8tsp, so you might have to tweak the spices sometimes. (I've been very happy with the results.)

Also, I like to take things out of context. For example: a lot of the dishes listed in the appetizer section actually make great main dishes! Again, you just have to decide how big you want to make the batch so that the calories work out okay. (I never cook so that I have leftovers or seconds if I can help it, it's one of my tools for portion control.)

And, of course, many of the recipies can be made even more "health friendly" (and lower calorie than listed) by making sure that you use the leanest cuts of meat possible, switch butter w/ olive oil (or 1/2 butter, 1/2 olive oil), and all of the other light cooking tips.

I cannot more strongly encourage anyone here to really consider taking up cooking. I've been having so much fun, the food tastes great, and I get to burn some calories while I'm preparing my meal.

In fact, I made homemade mayonnaise a few weeks ago and came up with the book title "People who make their own mayonnaise never get fat". A half cup of mayo may have 720 cals, but making it with a bowl and whisk has to burn at least 500.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #14  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

I adore chicken! I have ungodly amounts of recipes for the plucky cluck Here are 3 of my fav's, if you would you like any more feel free to PM me.

Feta-Stuffed Chicken Burgers

POINTS® value | 5
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 15 min
Cooking Time | 16 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

main meals | Salty feta cheese adds a kick to these poultry-based burgers – nobody will miss the beef.

Ingredients

1 pound uncooked ground chicken breast
1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
7 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
4 small wheat pita(s) <~ 1 pt per small pita
4 piece lettuce, romaine
2/3 cup roasted red peppers, sliced (without oil)
5 small olive(s), black, sliced (about 4 tsp) ***

Instructions

Preheat grill or broiler.

Mix chicken, oregano, garlic powder and feta together in a medium-sized bowl; divide mixture into four balls and then press them gently into patties.

Grill or broil patties until internal temperature of burgers reaches 165°F, about 7 to 8 minutes per side.

Serve each burger in a pita with a lettuce leaf, 1/4 of peppers and 1 teaspoon of olives.

*** I omit the olives opting for tomato slices instead.

Whenever I make these I do it in mass quantities and freeze. I stumbled across a "Hamburger Press" at Wal-Marts for 2.97. It's an interlocking tupperware container set of 6 ( I beleive, all I know is I bought three ) and comes with a mold and a press, to perfectly form your patties. After there frozen they just pop out like ice out of an ice cube tray. Fabulous little gizmo!!

----------------------------------------------------------

Yogurt Lemon Chicken (4 Points)

Recipe By :Fast & Healthy Magazine pg 61 (Mar/Apr 1995)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13x9inch (3-quart) baking dish with nonstick
cooking spray. In small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon pepper seasoning, lemon
peel and dill; mix well.

Cut each chicken breast half horizontally to but not through opposite side.
Open breast halves to he flat, butterfly style; (when short on time i keep them whole)
place in spray-coated dish.
Spoon half of yogurt mixture over chicken. Turn chicken over, spoon
remaining yogurt mixture over chicken to coat other side.

Bake at 425°F for 14 to 16 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer
pink. Sprinkle with parsley.

4 servings.

I serve this with rice that I have dropped a chicken boullion cube, lemon pepper, and some of the lemon zest in while boiling. Coupled with a side dish akin to a spinach artichoke dip. but its not a dip its sooooo much better! I could eat it all by itself!!
----------------------------------------------------------
artichoke and chicken over pasta
Serving Size : 8

450 grams chicken breast half, boneless/skinless, cubed
1/4 c light margarine
3 Tblsp flour
1 1/2 c water, hot ***
2 chicken broth cubes
3 Tblsp lemon juice
2 Tblsp worcestershire sauce
240 grams artichoke hearts, undrained
230 grams mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1/8 tsp salt & pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp basil
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti/linguini, cooked

in a large skillet melt the margarine. season chicken to taste and
brown on all sides. remove chicken to a platter and set in oven to keep warm.
disolve boullion cubes in water. reduce heat under skillet to medium low. add flour to pan drippings,
stirring constantly for 2 minutes to form a Roux that is golden brown.
stir in broth gradually; continue stirring until thickened. add lemon
juice, mushrooms, artichokes not drained, and worchestershire sauce.
simmer for several minutes. return chicken to skillet, cover simmer for
another 10 minutes. serve over spaghetti.

*** Most often I switch 1/2 c water with white wine. It adds an absolutely fabulous flavor!

with wine:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 220 Calories; 7g Fat (28.1% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 477mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

without:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 210 Calories; 7g Fat (28.1% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 477mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #15  
for me, for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnsassyfied
Feta-Stuffed Chicken Burgers
I've actually never eaten feta cheese. I always wanted to try it but never had a recipe using it. I look forward to trying this recipe. Thx!