Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

The gals in the 'Almost There' thread have been discussing this ebook and I'm quite taken with it. In fact, I'd like to start a discussion thread about it.

There are quite a few of us posters here who have gotten to be close to goal. Or close enough that this'll be ... um ... OK. You can tell by the number of lurkers in the Maintainers Forum that many many folks wonder what to do .... next??? There are threads about complacency.

I'm finding that this book is bringing together lots of odds and ends and nebulous notions (many of which I probably already knew) and coagulates them into a plan. The next step, so to speak. The answer to my question "What now?"

Since Ilene has already made some excellent references (derived from the book) to goal setting in another thread in Featherweights, all I'll say is that ... I did what I was told! If I remember I'll get a link here.

One line that particularly spoke to me went something like this .... the difference between knowing what to do and doing what you know.

Keep talking. I've gotta run and probably shouldn't have started this in a hurry. Anything special strike you?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #2  

Thanks susan,
I've been thinking about buying the book...thisd has put me one step closer!
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #3  

Here's Ilene's thread about goal setting.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85213
Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #4  

Setting short and long term goals is a good idea. I have set a few bodyweight dependent strength goals for 2006: 1) Strict military press with bodyweight. 2) Do an unassisted pull-up.

If I manage to hit my weightloss goal without sacrificing much strength, these should be realistic goals for this year.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #5  

What about focus and visualization?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

The difference between knowing what to do and doing what you know - struck a chord with me I could read about doing it till I'm blue in the face, and read and read and know everything there is to know, however by doing that, I think that perhaps I am burying my head in the sand when it comes to actually doing it. Like I can talk the talk, I know what I should be doing, my 4 day split, some HIIT and some kickboxing and running in there for good measure. However in reality, I get to the gym on average twice a week and I run... er well just don't ask!

I'm only 20 pages in, I haven't quite read to the end of the goal setting chapter, however I will sneakily print off some more pages today to read later on tonight
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I can do focus but I really do have problems with visualisation. I think you need to have a good imagination for that and its one thing I'm definitely lacking in.

Just about to start reading the book!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #8  

I check myself out when I walk past reflecting store windows and I sometimes surprised by that thin person. Not as often as I used to be so I guess that's coming.
I have always had one situation during which I see (in my minds eye) a slender sexy me. Perhaps if I have one good visualization, more will develope.

I just collapsed last night (even before the hockey game was over)so I didn't really think more on the focus thing but I woke up with a hymn running thru my brain. "Faith is the victory ...." Everybody sing ... just kidding. But that is certainly hmmmm-worthy.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #9  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

The first chapter is very like the original BfL so I'm skimming through that - I haven't really found anything different yet. It has made me re-read the goals I set myself when I started this Challenge and think about them again, which has been helpful.

Maybe I need to diarise myself some weekly 'think about what you're doing' time because those goals are something I had lost sight of.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I have misplaced my printed copy!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #11  

I ran out of ink and paper! Payday is coming soon.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm sneaking it through the printer at work 20 pages at a time!

I have written some more goals down - I like the present-tense stuff, I didn't realise that you had to put down your goals in present tense, I thought it was just being thankful for what you are now! I now have new ones! I like the idea of writing them out twice a day! I might buy a spanking new notebook just for that... Or use one of the empty ones that I already have!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #13  

I'm in the chapter about carbs, on the computer screen, yuck! I'll print the whole thing off eventually and read it properly. I'm really enjoying his indepth study. I love nutrition!! He actually covers that little ditty about where do you think the stuff comes from that makes new cells!
I'm lingering in carbs on purpose and will read it again. To be honest ... I might be carb-phobic.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

When I printed it Susan I used the smallest font and I would copy and paste it to Word and print it in Econo mode...

I really enjoyed writting mine in the present tense like I was already there, it kind of felt weird thought, but only at first...

I found my copy ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #15  

I have trouble with "humility" I guess you'd call it.
One of my "I will's" is that by New Years I will be firm enough that I can just go shopping and buy without watching what hangs out over what. It just feels so fat-headed to say that out loud.
And a bit silly. I'm a 45 year old mother of three for Heavens' sake!

I guess I have some head work to do