Old 05-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #1  
I'm a tough old broad!

S/C/G: 286.6/281.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy New, frustrated, and scared

Hello, all! I'm new to 3fatchicks. I'd heard of the site before and even visited here a few years ago. I can't remember if I checked the message boards then or not. Mainly, I think I read some of the 3fatchicks blogs - the three sisters who started this site, I mean. I was recently at a bookstore and saw their book and it aroused my curiosity.

Here's what's going on with me now. I was diagnosed last August with cancer in both breasts (at what was supposed to be a routine mammogram at my oncologist's insistence - I had lymphoma in '02-'03). I have since had four surgeries - lumpectomies with sentinel node biopsies, bilateral mastectomies with immediate placement of temporary implants, chemo-port installation, and final reconstruction surgery with a hysterectomy at the same time. I also had four rounds of Adriamycin and Cytoxen as chemo. I took tamoxifen for a month before stopping it in preparation for my last surgery. I now have a prescription for Arimidex, and I'm waiting on the results of my DEXA (bone density) scan before filling it. At my last visit with the oncologist, my liver enzymes are elevated. This was last Wednesday. They were able to schedule me in for the DEXA scan and a CT-scan of my liver on Friday afternoon. However, with the weekend and yesterday being a holiday, I haven't heard anything yet about the results. I don't expect my doctor to get the report before tomorrow morning.

So, here I am, weighing about twice what I'd like to weigh. I have cute, perky little reconstructed boobies, but you can't see them for my gut sticking out further than they do. MUCH further. I haven't seen my feet without bending over in I can't remember how long. And now I have health issues that make losing weight a big priority.

I had started phase 1 of South Beach last Monday and was going great guns on it until I got the news of a new issue at the doctor's office last Wednesday and then it all went to you-know-where. I honestly don't know where to start.

My last surgery was April 24. I came home April 28. The next morning I weight myself. I didn't have a big appetite after the surgery, so I just ate when I was really hungry and only ate enough to feel satisfied without stuffing myself (it hurt too much to stuff myself). I weighed again a week later, and I was down 11.2 pounds. I've hovered right around that number since then. But, then again, I've stopped watching what I eat and I've slipped into the "emotional eating mode."

Yesterday, I picked up a copy of "The Sonoma Diet," and I plan to do some reading in that today. I also hope to learn from you guys and see what's working for you.

By the way, I love this little guy: ! I've seen a similar smilie on other boards, but it would be a dancing banana. I think this little carrot guy is cuter!

I'm going to get out for awhile a little later with DH and maybe go for a walk. I know walking will be something good I can do for myself.

Estelle

P.S. Except for the hairdo (my hair is WAY to short to put into a bun), that gal in my avatar pretty much looks like me, bulges and all!
ColoradoDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I almost feel inadequate to be first welcomming post. You are a survivor supreme, and have thrived through so much! I just know that anything you put your hand to, including weight loss, will succeed.

I have found the atmosphere here to be so helpful. I'm sure you'll find everyone as suportive, friendly, knowledgeable, and fun as I have.

It sounds as though you are well on your way to some sound changes! Please feel free to post often, about anything (I'm selfish, I love reading new posts!), and if you have any questions, big or small, serious or silly, please feel free to ask me (or anyone I am sure) either via post or pm!

Thank you so much for finding us!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #3  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome Estelle

You will find this is an amazing place to find all the support you need.

I'm just blown away at what you have prevailed through so far, and I too know you can do this.

I'm positive that our very, very dear Sarah...will come to welcome you. She has had similar experiences to yours and is the UBER WOMAN...I'm sure you'll adore her just like I do!

Once again

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #4  
No description available.

Welcome! Seeking support is vital to this process. You are very much a survivor.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #5  
Aleecia

Welcome Estelle,

You are one heck of a survivor. Glad you have joined us. You will find a tremendous amount of encouragement and support here.
Good Luck to you on your weight loss and I hope that all of your tests come back okay.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #6  

Here have some bananas!

Glad you've found us, I gave you a more comprehensive welcome in the other forum, so I won't guff on again!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #7  
Downsizing Dee!

Welcome to the group Estelle - great to have you here. It certainly sounds like you're a fighter and a champion and I don't doubt one bit that you will be successful and conquer your weightloss battle as well.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #8  
One pound at a time...

to the group! You are a survivor and a fighter! You will find that this is a wonderful group for support!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #9  
Losin' it forever!

Welcome! Just to echo the sentiments of what others have said, you have already overcome so much! You will find amazing support here and yes, I'm sure that Sarah, who is also a cancer survivor, will give you some food for thought (no pun intended!)

We're very happy to have you!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #10  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!!

Nice to have you here. I am sure you will do well with this weight loss journey. We all seem to have our own little ways of making it work for you and I believe you will find yours as well! I am in awe of your survivor skills!! Women like you and Sarah fighting cancer as you both did go beyond words for me. Great to have you here!!!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #11  
I'm a tough old broad!

S/C/G: 286.6/281.4/150

Height: 5'5"

Sarah will probably back me up on this, but I don't feel that I'm a superwoman for what I've been through; I just did what needed to be done.

I just wanted to let you guys know the results of the CT-scan: I have fatty infiltrations on my liver. The doctor said that I need to make some lifestyle changes. Her nice way of saying, "Honey, you need to get some blubber off that butt of yours!" She did say that I need to have my liver functions monitored for awhile and possibly have my cholesterol tested. She's going to contact my PCP, send him a copy of my scan, and see if he thinks I need to see a gastrointerologist.

Yeah, I know. It's not exactly the best of news, but at least I do know that it is NOT metastases to the liver! That's what I was most worried about.

So. Tomorrow I am starting with some kind of food plan. Probably Sonoma for now. I'm going to take a walk outdoors yet this evening after it cools off a bit . . . might see if I can get DH to go with me.
ColoradoDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome. So glad to hear the news was positive. Use this kick start to begin your journey. This is a great site. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote