Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default Cool Runners #2 May 2006

Hey we haven't started a May Cool Runners yet?? Unbelievable!! Well then here it is!!

I haven't run yet this week... Tomorrow I can't wait ... I hate when life gets in the way of my workouts!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #2  

Height: 5'10

hmm ill join
Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #3  

Hi! I'm Stephanie. I lurked a bit during April, but I'd like to join you! I'm currently doing the Couch to 5k plan from Cool Runnings. I believe I'm on week 7, and I'm running 25 minutes three times this week. I've ran it twice already, and it went fine both times. Running has come relatively easy for me at times and pretty bad other times!! I plan to run a 5k race on June 3rd. I'm excited, and it has been nice to have a goal.

Question for you all-- I'm considering buying a new pair of running shoes. I don't know of a speciality running shop in my area. I just went to a sports store, and as you know, running shoes can really vary in cost. At this point in time, I really don't think I'll be running many more than about 25 total miles per week. Is there much sense in spending over $100? A pair that I was happy with was $65. Do you think there's much difference considering how "few" miles I'll be doing? I can completely understand the costlier ones for people who put in more distance than me, but I don't know whether it's worth it for my situation.

All advice is quite helpful!! You women are so inspiring!!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

TWO newbies in a row!! WOOHOO girls!!

Steph -- I personally think that your feet are VERY important and that, according to my food doctor, there is a very big difference in the prices and quality of running shoes... If you can possibly get to a running specialty shoe store it will be worth your time and effort. They will look at your walk and asses if you have a neutral foot or if you over or under pronate and fit your shoes accordingly... I travel an hour to a larger city to get my shoes ... I hope this helps... Another thng that comes to mind is that if you buy the wrong type of shoe you may get some aches and pains which will discourage you from running and you may stop it all together... But I guess, also if you really want to find out if you even "like" running you could go for a cheaper pair to start, but I would be worried of the injury factor...
Old 05-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #5  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Here's another newbie.

I've been running on and off since December, and have about reached the time when I'm getting serious about it - as in, running because I want to, not because I make myself. At the moment I'm running every other day, as part of a 21-day challenge. It's actually a re-start after a long camping trip. My main goal is to increase the time, and with it distance, but not so much time per mile right now. I run outside, since I don't have access to a treadmill righ now (and I'd probably die of boredom on it anyway).

This morning I ran a measured 5 km in approximately 32 minutes, and then kept going... 45 minutes total, so I figure I covered some 7 km. This is the longest I've ever ran (these days I'm averaging 20-35), and though I probably have hit 5 km before, I had no way of measuring it.
I usually measure in lenghts along the dirt road where I usually run (one lenght is 1.5 km or a bit less). There is an incline there, so one way is always harder, and recently I couldn't even make 3 lenghts, so I'm really happy with the 7 kms.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #6  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I haven't posted for a while, but I am still running. My weight has been stable and I am going on a 3 week vacation to Asia this weekend!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I'm off on holiday for just over a week tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get a couple of runs in. Possibly.

If not I'll just swim and get back down to it when I get back
Old 05-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Bon Voyage Helen AND Miaka
Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I finally ran today 10k with my group of gals... They are so awesome I don't know what I would do without them at the moment... The girl who is our "motivator" gave me heck tonight (not in front of everyone of course) because she says I'm too hard on myself and this is what is keeping me back. She says, and she's right, that last September I was one of the best runners, and now I seem to have lost my mojo...She kept telling me that I am the most rounded person there I weight train, I do yoga, I do core work, I'm happy in my life... So why the heck am I letting some older women pass me? Who aren't half as fit as I am... She kept saying to get down into my centre and find my strength again, where ever it is, I'll find it..... She really really got me thinking... Hence my reason for venting to you gals... I hope you don't mind and thanks for listening...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #10  

I got out and ran on Tuesday... now i just have to make myself go tommorow. I bought some new running gear tonight, hopefully it will motivate me. I got a brand new sportsbra and i LOVE It.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Ilene, only you can decide if you are holding yourself back. But a couple of things to consider--we all have some genetic potential for how fast we can run, and while we can all improve, for most of us there will always be faster people. Some of them are a lot older. So older women will pass you. Older women pass my DH and he's a 3 hour marathoner! Congrats to those older women. Also, sometimes a "well-rounded" person isn't the fastest runner. The more you concentrate on one sport the better you'll be at it. So is it worth giving up your core work to get in another run? Probably not for us recreational folks, but only you can make that call.

So having said that, are you too hard on yourself? Only you can make that call. But remember, it is supposed to be fun! Have fun! What good is it if it isn't fun?

I had a nice run this morning. Short one, two miles, but I ran the whole way, at a decent pace too. WOO HOO!

Anne
Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #12  

Hello!! Thank you, Ilene, for your advice on purchasing new shoes. I do know that I have a normal gait. I was an exercise sport major as an undergrad, and we tested our walking and running in a biomechanics class. Too bad I don't remember much about the course though!! Who would have known that the information would come in handy again!

I'm looking forward to running tonight. Like I said previously, I'm doing the Couch 2 5k. I'd like to run more than what it has planned for me, but I'm scared to take it too fast and risk injury. Tonight is a 25 minute run.

Have a nice trip, you two!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne
Ilene, only you can decide if you are holding yourself back. But a couple of things to consider--we all have some genetic potential for how fast we can run, and while we can all improve, for most of us there will always be faster people. Some of them are a lot older. So older women will pass you. Older women pass my DH and he's a 3 hour marathoner! Congrats to those older women. Also, sometimes a "well-rounded" person isn't the fastest runner. The more you concentrate on one sport the better you'll be at it. So is it worth giving up your core work to get in another run? Probably not for us recreational folks, but only you can make that call.

So having said that, are you too hard on yourself? Only you can make that call. But remember, it is supposed to be fun! Have fun! What good is it if it isn't fun?
Thank you Anne I appreciate your insight and I do realize there will always be someone better than me, DANG it all ... Today I ran hills on the new dreadmills at the gym and I really enjoyed it ... Maybe I am a bit hard on myself and I do want to improve , so I WILL keep plugging at it and ENJOY it every second of the way. Something I must say, is that the girl we run with always stresses that this is for FUN and maybe on Thursday she could sense that I wasn't having fun on this particular run and she was trying to find out what was bothering me, ans since I am not much of a talker or talk of my emotions I am a difficult person to read and she was trying to get me tho think of what is going on with myself... It may be that I haven't been eating as well as I should, not working out as often because I am working more hours, I am not drinking my water as much....She made me think anyways and thinking of improving oneself is always good in my book...
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Sushi ... I almost missed your post ... Here is a great site for measuring distance... just input where you are... This is what I use ...
Old 05-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
It may be that I haven't been eating as well as I should, not working out as often because I am working more hours, I am not drinking my water as much....
Gosh Ilene, you are being hard on yourself. Also, don't stress if it isn't fun every day. Nothing is fun every day, even fun stuff. It just sounds like you are making so much progress from here. I remember when you just met your running group and were nervous about it. Now, you're always going running with the girls! Don't forget how far you've come. You're doing great--don't let an off day get you too down.

Sounds like you did great with the treadmill! Tomorrow I'm riding the bike for about 2.5 hrs. I got my new roof rack on, and put up some traffic cones in my garage so I don't do something stupid like try to drive in with the bike on top. Sunday I run again, 6.2 miles. If I say 10K here, everyone will think I'm doing a race!

Anne
Closed Thread