Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #1  

Default Stalling & Fluctuations of Weight

Hi everyone.

So I've tried to be good and just weigh myself once a week -- that was my goal any way.

I've noticed that my last weigh in last week was 190 -- and because I simply can't help myself -- I weigh myself almost every day to check in. This past week I've noticed it fluctuate between 190 and 195! So basically no change or it's going up. I've taken the urine strip tests and I'm in deep ketosis...I've been super good and have not cheated. Here is my typical meal plan in a day:
1) 1 cup reg. coffee w/ coffeemate (right when I get up)
2) B: 5-6 strips of bacon, 1-2 eggs
3) L: Chicken salad or just a reg. salad w/ veggies
4) D: Chicken, fish or red meat with a small portion of veggies.

Snacks: I've actually not been eating any snacks and have felt a bit hungry during the day -- when I do feel hungry, I've gotten a decaf coffee or drank tea until I went home (because I keep forgetting to bring snacks to work so I'm kind of stuck). During the first 2 weeks of induction, I stayed away from all snacks at night. Once I lost those first 10 lbs, I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter at night -- seems satisfying but I know I don't "have" to have it.

I would love any suggestions on what you think I might be doing wrong?
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi BuffyO,
Just a few suggestions. You mentioned you are using CoffeMate in your coffee...can I ask why you aren't using heavy cream? CoffeeMate contains sugar as well as transfat. Are you still on Induction or have you progressed to OWL? I'd also eliminate the peanut butter. Just my 2 cents worth.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #3  

Hi JerseyGyrl -

I don't know why -- I've been using it for a while and saw the carb count and just thought it was fine. But I didn't know what you mentioned below. I like half-n-half just as much and I think the carb count is actually lower? So I'll switch starting today.

Do you think my body isn't getting enough calories? I've been keeping track in fitday.com and I'm thinking I'm simply not eating enough. I'm working out too so I should probably keep my calorie in-take up.

I will cut out the peanut butter -- I won't miss it any way. I'm not even sure why I started to eat it.

Today is day 15 on the diet. I've decided to stay on the induction for 6 weeks at least and see where I am then.

Thanks for your info --- if you have any more, I'd love to hear it!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Buffy-I posted on the other thread about this, but just found this one.....
If you are in ketosis there is no reason why you would be gaining FAT, but I know you've been working out a lot, so it may be muscle mass and water retention. Or maybe it's almost the TOM? I've noticed my weight goes up a few lbs right before.
I'd switch from the coffeemate like jerseygirl said-even if you aren't going over your carbs, simple sugar is "the enemy" on this diet. It may cause rises and dips in glucose/insulin levels, which will make you "hungry" even when you're full. Other than that, your diet looks okay. Eat when you are hungry. Because the foods we are allowed are filling, most people on Atkins after a while naturally eat fewer calories-I think the book said that the average Atkin's dieter's daily intake (and the sample menus listed) is about 1200-1400 calories anyway. The protein you are getting on this is great for working out, too. Going below that amount of calories for an extended period wouldn't be good-what does fitday say your daily average is?
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #5  

Hey there Rebel. Just read you other post too -- thanks so much for that vote of confidence! I appreciate it!

You know, I was just starting to think of my workouts. Which consist of 2-3 days of weights and resistence training so you know what? I think I may be gaining some muscle mass. I have a personal trainer and just called her about it to find out. She said what will happen is I may plateau on my diet while I gain a bit of muscle...so she now recommended cardio workouts only for the next 3 weeks to get my scale moving again. She doesn't want me to go up on the scale! What a horrible feeling that would be. BUT, my clothes do feel bigger.

Also, you are right! It is TOM for me any day now and I am notorious for gaining a few LBS and retaining water during that time. My trainer recommended I hide my scale at home and skip this week's weigh in. She said that there is no reason to feel guilty about something like that and just weigh in again next Friday instead. I think it's a good plan.

Fitday is telling me that I am taking in anywhere from 1200-1400 calories just like you mentioned.

Thanks for the tidbits and helpful info. I feel better now. Gosh I love this site!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the info. on Coffeemate, as I have been using it too. I will try the heavy cream instead. Your diet plan looks great and when I track my calories it comes up 1200-1400 too. My only suggestion would be to watch the amount of caffeine with the tea and coffee. This can also cause water retention.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

HELP! I am now 3 weeks with no weight loss. I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do about it. ANy suggestions? I think my carbs are well in tact
break. 3 scrambled eggs
lunch turkey burger with cheese on lettuce
dinner 15 shrimp sauteed with asparagus (7spears, tops only)
and 1 very small zuchinni ( about 4 inches long )
snacks between breakfast and lunch hardboiled egg
after dinner 4 small strawberries
I have done all my water also. I feel like I am peeing a lot. I even have found the restrooms in my supermarket!
I don't know if I should go off for a few days, fast, cut back more, add more, exercise more, exercise less,or just trudge through. It has now beocme a battle between me and the scale. on other diets when the scale didn't move for 10 days I would through in the towel. Now I a m determined to beat it. I just need the right ammo!
thanks
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #8  

Hi maggie-I'm relatively new to Atkins myself-only been doing it for 2 months. I know how you feel-if I stalled for 3 weeks, I would be ready to give it up myself. Your diet sounds like you are doing everything perfect, so be proud of yourself for sticking to it! I've never done the fat fast, but if I were in your shoes, which I'm sure I will be soon, that's what I would do. It doesn't sound very appealing, and the posts I've read here about people who HAVE done it-they say it's pretty hard, but it works. The book says to try it if you stall for a month or more, and it should get you moving again. Are you taking any supplements, or a multivitamin? I take the One-A-Day Carbsmart. It has all the stuff in it that Dr. Atkins says is necessary to help mobilize fat loss, and I've found that this time around, since I'm taking them, I don't have as much of the downside to this, like the constipation and the leg cramps. I'm sure you have the book-reread the chapters about metabolic resistance and stalls. Are you taking measurements? Maybe you are losing inches, just not lbs right now. Give it another week or so, maybe start taking a supplement, do your measurements-From what I've read this happens to everyone at one point or another, so........Hang in there Maggie Don't get discouraged, girl-you are halfway there!!! We're all cheering for ya!!!
Please keep me updated- I'll need your advice when this happens to me!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #9  

Rebel. thanks. I take one-a-day weight smart, coq10, l carnitine, chromium picolinate, as directed in the Atkins book. In fact this stall started the same week I started the vitamins!!!
I thinkI'll do what you said. I'm going to re-measure, and give it another week. (I just hate to waste another week though!) If nothing happens, I'll have to suck it up and do the fast. I've heard about one with macadamia nuts as opposed to eggs, maybe I'll look into that. I don't think I can do eggs straight for 2 days. Do youknow if you can have them scrambled in butter and stuff or is it just strictly eggs like hardoiled? (cringe!!)
Thanks again rebel
Old 05-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #10  

I just looked it up in the book-I don't think it matters how you cook them, in the fast you have to count the calories. You are supposed to eat 1000 calories a day broken up into 4 or 5 meals. It doesn't have to be all eggs or all nuts for the day, it's about the ration of fat to carbs and protein-aiming for between 80-95% of your calories coming from fat in those meals. Dr Atkins lists some examples (doesn't HAVE to be these, just follow the guidelines) of meals that are good for that ratio and have about 200 calories each......

1 ounce of macadamia nuts
2 ounces cream cheese
1 ounce tuna or chicken salad w/ 2 tsp mayo on 1/4 avocado
2 deviled eggs made with 2 tsp mayo
2 ounces sour cream w/ 2 Tbs caviar
2.5 ounces whipped heavy cream w/ sucralose 0 calorie syrup
2 ounces pate
2 hard boiled egg yolks with 1 Tbs mayo

The book also gives a list for a "modified fat fast", same concept, but allows for 1200 calories a day, suggesting 4- 300 calorie meals. It's basically the same as above, just a little bigger portion for people who don't want to do that severe of a diet. It does however list that 2 scrambled eggs and 2 slices of bacon are a good 300 calorie meal following that ratio. Seems to me like this one would be easier to follow, and I could probably stomach the bacon and eggs alot better as a meal-I HATE boiled eggs, too.
It says you can combine these meals any way you want-that sounds a lot better-I thought you had to eat the same thing meal after meal for days! He suggests you try it for 4-5 days, and you WILL lose weight. If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Fat Fast

Maggie,

You might want to check out the following article.

http://www.low-carb.com/atarfatfa.html

Personally, I would stick to plan rather than resort to this...its a bit drastic in my opinion.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #12  

Thanks for the article. Like rebel said, it seems that you CAN mix things. I too thought it was just eggs or just nuts. so that's a little better.
I got a little freaked where it mentioned that it isn't safe if your not metabolically resistant. I don't think thats how i would categorize myself. I've been doing ok up til now (23 lbs in about 6 weeks.) I will give it one more week. and maybe just try this for 4 or 5 days, if nothing happens . I'll let you know what happens!
Thanks again girls!