Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Shake What Your Mama Gave You 5/22-5/29

Some of us struggle more with food, others with exercise. I fall into the latter group, so in the past I have found it helpful to log my exercise here for the accountability thang, for the motivational thang, and for the mutual support thang!

If any of you want to join in with your , , , , , , , , , , , , or even your ----- then sing it proud here!!

Whatever you're doing, to whatever degree, and no matter how often -- everyone's welcome.

My plan for this week is to work out for 250 minutes. I just started a new job, and I found it hard to make last week's goal of 300 minutes -- and I haven't yet exercised this week....so I think 250 this week will still represent a challenge. An achievable challenge, but a challenge nonetheless. I'll check back in tomorrow!

I must say I'm so impressed with you regular posters -- you guys ROCK!! I can't wait to hear from you guys, as well as any newbies to this thread!! *nudge and a broad wink*
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #2  

My plan for this week is to do 20 minutes of weight training daily. I had to cut the aerobic exercise until my knee stops trying to murder me. As of Monday and Tuesday, the weight training is going well. I'm anxious to get back to the aerobic, but I really hurt myself on Monday when I tried to jump back in. So, icing my knee and staying off of it as much as possible is how I'm currently dealing with it.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Sorry to hear about your knee MsHelena. I hope that all is better soon.

My SO is leaving town this weekend (party at my house!), so things are getting a bit switched around.

I went to the gym Monday and yesterday, just like a good little girl! Gym again today and Thursday, then racquetball Friday. The weekend will be busy with getting SO packed and on the plane, but I'm making a specific goal right now to spend at least 1 hour at the gym and take at least 1 walk.

Have Fun!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #4  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

After being totally sedentary for the past year, my goal this week is to just move intentionally every day for the rest of this week, for at least 10 minutes each day.
Did 15 mins on exercise bike Tuesday. It's a start.
Another 15 mins on Wed. (not bad for an obese old lady with bad hip bones and knees.)

Last edited by soiley; 05-25-2006 at 11:37 AM.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Jerie, that's great

I tend to minimize the exercise I do too...saying it's not much, etc...

But we shouldn't...we should be proud and leave it at that...we're doing it!!!!

15 mins. is a fabulous start!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

My goal this week is 3 -30min sessions of (walking) with the dog by sunday.

I have to get back into it and now....
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did weights and swimming on Monday, ran 3.1 miles yesterday morning, 5.1 this morning and 3.7 this evening. That's me done until Saturday (unless I manage a swim on Friday), when I'm going to run 5 miles, then 6+ (how much more depends how I feel) on Sunday.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 AM   #8  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Today I had TKD class. During our warm up workout we did lots of ab work *again*! Fun! I'll take it over walking push ups any day!!!
I sure as heck wish I could magically melt the flab off my tummy just so I could see the lovely muscles that HAVE got to be buried underneath it all!!!!!! :sigh: -->need more patience!

My next test is June 8!!!! I'm getting soooooooooooo nervous about my break as it will be a leg over turning side (requires I perform the side kick while jumping up into the air turning around!!!!!!) ACK! Very pretty kick to watch, alarming/nerve racking to perform. Especially if you miss and kick the black belts holding the board for the break!

:::visualizing myself executing a perfect kick and breaking the board the FIRST time!:::
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #9  

My knee seemed to--how do I describe this--snap back into place yesterday, so I played DDR for 1.5 hours on standard. Sure, I failed most of the levels, but I felt wonderful doing it. God, I've missed my cardio.

Laura - Wow. I'd be terrified to do that kick. I'm sure you'll do incredibly.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Good job everyone!

I missed Monday's walk (really busy). Tuesday I did strength training and yesterday I spent 60 min on my treadmill. I have strength training scheduled for today. Seeing as my daughter is refusing to take a nap and it's absolutely gorgeous outside, I think I'll put her in the stroller and take an extra walk today.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

I played soccer with my dog last night for about an hour (OK, it's more like I'm playing soccer and he's trying to steal the ball) instead of a walk but I went for a brisk 15 min walk during my lunch today...alone (I usualy would drop my walk instead of walking alone) I would have done more but I didn't bring my running shoes in with me or my cd player, so I was walking with high heeled sandals...not so comfortable.

I do plan on doing at least 30mins of walk/play with the dog tonight.

Tomorow , I have a good plan as to wear I will go for my walk and it's all right next to a canal and I have to take stairs to go from one side to the next. So I know I will love it. I can't wait...**looking around me** Who said that??? I hate exercising ...right????

After 2 weeks of constant rain, it's very refreshing to have 2 straight days of sunshine.

I plan to enjoy it completly.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

You guys are doing SO GREAT!!

Between being exhausted from work still being hectic (I'm still training to be a Designer for a furniture store, doing interior design consulting,) and Lorraine coming down with a big case of strep throat and needing some extra TLC and nursing -- well let's just say it's been a real challenge making progress towards meeting my goal of 250 minutes this week!

Tonight I DID manage to get in 63 minutes on the bike!! I feel GREAT about it! I'm off this weekend, so I am confident I'll be able to make up the rest.....as long as I break the remaining minutes up into multiple sessions.

I am so motivated by you guys! Thank you!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #13  

Jerie- what a great start. The first steps may seem the hardest, but they most certainly are the ones most deserving of celebration!

Helen- what can I say, I'm green all over. You Rock!

Laura- :::visualizing myself sitting in shocked horror as you break the board on the first try...now standing for an ovation!::: BTW- I'm not 100% sure what walking push-ups are (please don't tell me, I don't want to know!) but I think they have made their way onto my list of deepest fears.

MsHelena- I'm glad you feel better. Take care of yourself. I think you and I are in the same Knee Camp. It's so hard to feel 60mph, but be stuck at 10, if you catch my drift. We'll get there!

hautbois- You're doing great. It's been wonderful outside here as well.

Foreverhopefull- Isn't that amazing? We ordered some beginner's Squash balls online, and when they arrived we were both and practically tore open the package to see what they were like. What the heck is happening to me!

Sarah- That's great! I say 63 min. on a full day is worth twice that on a easy one. I hope you're enjoying your new job. I watch the design shows obsessivly on the weekends- can I have your autograph?(I hope Lorraine gets better soon!)

Me- Well, I'm grounded (hence all the time I have for this nice, long post). My knee started popping again yesterday, and isn't better today so I'm giving it an extra rest. SO made me promise so many times to not sneak off to the gym I was afraid she was going to lock me in the house. Maybe I'm just being silly, but I swear that my knees suddenly look a lot thinner and everything feels "loose" in there, like a lot of fat has gone and what's left hasn't tightened up yet? We'll see what happens... one day at a time, right?

Keep it up guys! You're doing great.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #14  

Andoreth - I completely feel your pain. I'm pretty sure my knee is popping as well. Yesterday, a wonderful pop resulted in my exercising full on. Today, I felt it pop again, and I am stubbornly hobbling through my exercise. (Yes, I should cool it before I really injure myself.) Trying to take it easy is driving me crazy. My cardio has quickly become my favorite part of the day. I feel incredible afterwards. Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with the knee problem? I've been stretching and icing it, but I haven't found a good fix, yet.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #15  

I wish I knew. I have this suspicion that it's going to be one of those horrible "patience moments". I HATE being patient. I want to stop being patient RIGHT NOW.

I actually feel more then half of the problem is that I fear my knee popping, so I'm walking just a bit funny, trying to prevent it. But, of course, walking funny is one of the worst things that you can do for your knees. Vicious circle, anyone? All day at work today I tried so hard to concentrate on "normal walking", and of course realized that this is not possible. The moment you concentrate on walking, it ain't normal no mo'!

I finally came up with the bright idea of concentrating on something completely different every time I needed to walk, and that helped a lot. Lol, you should have heard me walking around the office, quitely saying "Ichi, Nie, San, Shi...", counting to 20 in Japanese over and over under my breath. People stopped asking me for help, but at least it did seem to help a bit.

Hmm, and people stopped asking me for help- maybe I've come across something here...

So, if anyone is at the gym tomorrow, and some 300 lb woman is over on the treadmill, quietly saying "Ichi, Nie, San..", come over and say "Hi!".