Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #80

Thought I'd start a new thread. Almost forgot how!

Today I did a whole lot of nothing. Now yesterday was the day I decided to finally clean up the mess around the palm tree in our yard. There was lots of weeds and I needed to pull up the white rocks and plastic that was around the tree. What a mess. DH also was helping me . He was the one digging out the bricks that were stuck down in the ground and I'm sure had been there for 20 years. Any way Now the tree looks better. I'll be planting grass around the thing tomorrow. It took me a while to get around to doing that job. Was going to plant flowers out there but talked myself out of it. I love to look at them but hate the work that goes into it. I have flowers in pots in the carport. You have to water alot but at least the weeds don't take over like they do on the ground. Have one more spot to clean up in the yard. It is around back in a the corner behind the laundry room. But if the weather doesn't cool off for a few days then it will wait until fall.We'll just keep weedwacking it down until then.

Well I was down a whole -.4 this week but that is how it has been going big , tiny ,big, then tiny again. So as long as there in minus in front of the number then i'll just go along happy to have a loss.

We did go out for a while today. Just out bumming around. An excuse to eat lunch out I think. We went to Crispen's very good food. Ann Have you been there? I had the broccolli cheese soup and salad. The soup was to die for and the salad was crisp and delish! Went to Dotti's to check out the point's after I got home and Didn't do too bad I spent 10 points ,7 was just on the soup but well worth it. DH is always much better than me ,he spent a whole 7 points.

Gloria I'm glad it finally stopped raining. Boy the north east really caught it this time.

Ann Did you get a nasty surprise on your home owers insurance? We did and we'll have to go with citizens now. That means an increase from $350.00 to a $1000.00 a year. ouch!!!! Have thought about flying by the seat of our pants but smarter just to pay it and be glad of it.

About the gators. I got a phone call from DD the other morning. When I answered she said "Oh good you didn't get eaten by an alligator"! We have had several removed from the park lately. But I figure if I stay away from them they will stay away from me. I am very watchful when I'm around the water. However I don't think the lady who had one knocking at her door asked for it.

Well guess it's time for bed so see you all later.

Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 05-19-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #2  
Net browser

Hi Everybody...I just got caught up on all the news on the board. I know Trudy posted that my David died and also a little bit about his "Celebration of Life" service.
David and I had talked about what we would like when we passed away. We didn't discuss it in great detail but both of us decided we would want to be cremated. Years ago I did not think I would like to do that but then as I got older I changed my mind.
David got sick on Sunday evening, May 7th, and on Monday, May 8th, my son and I decided it was time to call an ambulance and have him taken to the hospital. We got to the hospital at 7:30 in the morning and they told us that David was very very sick. Somehow I thought they would give him another blood transfusion or something, keep him overnight and then I would be taking him back home. I even packed p.j.'s and his tooth brush etc. I had tried to take his temperture Sunday night but he was breathing through his mouth and would not keep the thermometer in his mouth but I knew he had a fever...... but he would not agree to me calling an ambulance on Sunday night. When we did get to the hospital his temperature was 104 and that was AFTER I had given him a couple of Tylenol at home. He just begged me to take him back home. He asked, over and over again, "please take me home, please take me home". I promised him that as soon as he was feeling a little bit better I would. They gave him oxygen but he kept pulling off the mask, saying he couldn't breathe and I guess he felt that the mask was somehow making it harder for him, rather then easier. They couldn't find a vein to start an IV. All of his veins had collasped and they said they would have put in a port in his neck and that it would take about an hour. He had been sick to his stomach and when I held the bowl for him I guess I didn't do a good job because it was all over me, and I knew he was bringing up blood and things were not good. They asked my son, dil and I to leave while they got the port inserted into the vein at his neck and that we could come back later. They said it would take about an hour.
I kissed him and told him how much I loved him as did our son and dil and that we would be back in shortly to see him. I don't live far from the hospital so my son brought me home and I changed my clothes and we went back. A short while later they told us that David had been moved from emergency to ICU and we could go in and see him. They said ,they had to put a tube done his throat and he was hooked up to a respirator and sedated and we shouldn't talk to him because he would likely recognize our voices and he had been fighting all the time they were trying to get the tube in place. We went in, and sat quietly by him and I noticed they had tied his wrists to the sides of bed and asked if they could untie him now, they did. I asked the attending doctor if David was just heavily sedated or was he in a coma. The doctor said, that he was likely not in coma. I asked if I could talk to him now and would he hear me. The doctor just said that we should assume that he could hear us. I held his hand so tight and begged him to squeeze my hand back, but he never did, all the time I held it. My son went and got our grandson and the little Princess, my brother and SIL arrived and our dear friends from the lake and one of their son's who is David's Godchild. Our son allowed our grandson to come into the room to say goodbye to his Papa and then took him out of the room. We decided our granddaughter was too young and seeing her Papa like that would not be good. for her as she has lots of bad dreams, so she stayed in the waiting room with a family friend looking after her. Her last memory of him was the Friday before when he picked her up from school and took her to lunch. That evening, my David passed away. I know exactly when his spirit left his body. His eyes were open a little bit, and as I was looking into them, and talking to him, it was like a veil had dropped over them. Our son looked at the clock, and noted it was 8:15pm. Our grandson had said that his Papa would not die because he had prayed to God and was very upset that God had not "listened to him". We tried to console him, but it will take time. He comes here to see me almost every day after school. Our granddaughter is handling his death a little better but her school called a couple of days after he had died that she was crying so hard for her Papa that dil had to pick her up and then she wanted to come here and be with me. I cozied her up in a blanket and laid down beside her and told her to tell me all the wonderful things that she remembers about her Papa and to know that he is in heaven and watching over her and will forever.
The service we had for David was truly a "Celebration of his life". Prior to the service we had a private ceremony with just the immediate family and went to the Columbarium where I had bought a place indoors for the urn that contained David's ashes on one half and will one day contain mine in the other half. We each placed a little remembrance into the space by the urn. Our grandson had played golf and never lost the ball, came home and washed it and wrote on it, "I Love you Papa". He had played that game of golf in his Papa's new golf shoes that David never got to wear. David only wore a size 8 shoe and so does our 12 year grandson. He also put in the stub to the last hockey game that David took him to. Our granddaughter put in a card that she had written ,I love you Papa and then she put lipsitck on and kissed the card because she said she always kissed her Papa when she saw him, and he would miss that. Our son had the card sealed in that heavy plastic. My DIL put in a shell lei that she got this year in Maui, and our son put in the key to the new boat that David had bought them (which he had only seen briefly before our son hauled it to the lake) and I put in a small picture of David and I on our 25th anniversary with a short love letter that I tucked into the back of the frame. Who know's, maybe someday, some ancestor of mine will think to look there. I also put in a medal that I had given him when he first got sick that said "you will never be alone", and he carried it with his change in his pocket always.
The limo then took us to the furneral home where the service was held in the large chapel. My son and I had arranged for Hawaiian flowers to be placed by a large picture of David and a candle lit that had sea shells in it. If we all go back to Maui this winter we will buy flower leis and throw them into the ocean as the Hawaiians do in rememberance of David. As Trudy said, there were about 550 people (the chapel seated 500, and others had to stand). Our son gave the eulogy and it was wonderful. I am so proud of him. It was very difficult for him to do, but he managed. Our grandson played his clarinet. He said, he calls the song "MAUI" and he dedicated it to his Papa and then spoke a few words about his grandfather. Our granddaughter spoke next, and then our DIL. Our son had put together a video tribute which was very moving. My friends brother, played the guitar and sang three songs, one was, "Hey God", Amazing Grace" and I forget the third one. David always loved to hear Ross play the guitar and sing and his favorite while sitting around a fire at the lake was when Ross sang, "She was a great big mother of a bear". I told Ross if it would have been appropriate I would have had him do that song. At the end of Amazing Grace, he looked right at me, and very very quietly whistled the first few bars to the bear song. I wonder how many of the people noticed? Did you Trudy???
After the service we had a lovely lunch which was served in the dinning room and I got to talk to several of the people, certainly not all of them. Later family and few friends came back here and when they left I really knew then I was alone and my David was not going to come home.
I thank God for my family, and good friends like all you gals and Trudy, and several other's, who with their help I will manage but I sure do miss my David and I know my life has now changed forever.

Last edited by slavika; 05-20-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #3  

Slavika it is so good to see you on the board. Thank you for telling us about David last hours and the celebration of his life. It sounded beautiful and it's good that you and David talked about what he wanted . Your Gandchrildren are very brave to go back to school so soon. My brothers girls didn't go for maybe 10 days. Their mother brought home their school work.

I'm sorry you were left alone. That was the thing my mother feared the most. She remembered my grandmother saying that people were with her until after the funeral and then every one left and she felt so alone. So there were enough of us so Mom was not alone.

Life will be different for you now but know we are here even in the dark of night. You can come here and tell us your feelings or just vent and be mad.

Karen
Old 05-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #4  
Web Nana

Slavika it is nice to have you back on the board. You have weathered a very difficult time and you will always have your memories of David. Your son, dil & grandchildren will be great treasures for you. As Karen said, always remember we are here on the board day or night to chat, bolster or just listen to a gripe.

David's Celebration of Life sounded just beautiful and your granson will always remember his Papa and speaking at the service.

Gloria
Old 05-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #5  

Slavika it is good to have you back here. Thank you so much for sharing David's last day and the Celebration of his Life. He was a very special man, husband, father, grandfather and friend. I wish I could have known him. I hope the kids are doing better. It is nice that they can come to you and you can share memories. I love the idea of throwing a lei in Maui next year. Hugs to you.

Ann I hope your ankle is doing better. I can't imagine you, the little energizer bunny, sitting around too much.

Trudy glad that that you dh was diagnosed with something that you can work with. That is big relief.

Gloria don't you just love the sunny days? We had about the same amount of rainy days that you had. I didn't think it would ever end. It finally did and I enjoy the sun even if it is a little chilly.

The last big storm came through last Weds night. I awoke to a thundering wind. It sounded a little like a train. I looked out back and the trees were blowing like crazy. For some reason I went to the front and looked out and the top of the huge oak was laying in the front yard. It just missed the house, wires and the lightpost. If my car had been out it would have been toast. We heard a firetruck come and check it out but since it wasn't on the roof they left. Dh rented a chainsaw the next day and started working on it. He rented a chipper shredder which quit on him. We lucked out the next day when the county came by. They are allowed to clear anything on the sidewalk but not come in your yard. So we hauled what was left to the sidewalk and they cleared it. It was originally there anyway. The weatherman said it was a wind shear but I think it was a little tornado. So many trees around here were knocked over or blown apart. This is one time the siren didn't come on. It blows any other time. Go figure.

Only a week left of school.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #6  
Fun Blonde

OHMIGOSH! I lost a brilliant, well-thought out, best message I have ever written. I am too tired to try to recreate. But just know that I am thinking about you all.
Glenda
Old 05-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #7  
Web Nana

Just a short note....it is 7PM and I am ready to hit the hay. I have some sort of chest cold. I have been coughing my head off for 4 days and today I went to the DR. She gave me some AM cough meds and a prescription for a night time cough suppressent. I do hope this works. I am so tired of coughing and my head aches and my chest and back. She said if it kept up for another 4 days I was to fill the antibotic prescription that she also gave me.
I have no idea where I picked this up but I really shouldn't complain as it has been a long time since I was sick.
Hi to everyone and I will be back when I can keep my eyes open for a longer period of time.

Gloria
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #8  

this is just to test if the board has accepted my password etc.

Maria
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #9  

G'day everyone,
We are back in Derby after spending sometime at Cape Leveque and Middle Lagoon.
Before I tell you what is happening with us, I have to say it was good to see Slavika on the boards, you are an amazing woman and I am pleased that you have had so much support from your family and friends.
As someone else said, we are always here for support as well.
Good to read everyone elses posts as well and I noted that Karen is setting a great example with her weight loss!
I have had more than enough of this tropical climate, it is just so hot...30 degrees by 10 am and climbing...'cools' to about 25 degrees overnight.
The most amazing thing happened and I must tell you.....
Middle Lagoon is a camping place on the most magnificent lagoon and it is run by an aboriginal couple. The whole place is pretty run down other than the actual nature of course. We thought the toilet blocks etc may be cleaned every leap year!!!!
When we got there, an old bloke (white) was in the 'office', we asked for a campsite and he suggested a couple and the ones we suggested he would not recommend because the aboriginal lady gets on the booze and might start wailing in the middle of the night and disturb us.
The old fellow said he was a bit of a wanderer and comes here a few months of the year to do odd jobs in return for free camping. I thought he was well into his seventies and would not have been surprised if he had said he was 83 when I asked how old he was...he was 63!!
I could not believe it, he had no teeth and just looked very old. We went to our campsite and set up whilst this old bloke said on the verandah in a rocking chair.
After dinner we went to bed, there were all sorts of noises and I did not sleep well. Around 3am I woke up with a start because of a shed door banging in the breeze. I then had this thought that this old bloke could be someone like Norman Bates (PSHYCO) and that he could easily creep up and stab us both throught the canvas where our heads were!
Of course all quite ridiculous but it took me a long time to get back to sleep.
In the morning I was telling dh and he just looked stunned because he had dreamt the exact same thing!!!!! How creepy was that!
Last night we got back to Derby and this afternoon we will do a flight to the horizontal waterfalls, supposed to be very spectacular.
http://www.horizontalfalls.com.au/
Tomorrow we leave here and we will go on the Gibb River road (http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/Ki...River_Road.asp) it is supposed to be quite spectacular. Here is hoping because the heat and the mozzies are really getting to me.
We have now been on the road for 24 days, it will definitly not be 3 months unless there are some big changes in the weather (highly unlikely) or the mozzies, sandflies, midgees and normal flies also take a holiday.
I do quite a bit of the driving and I often think of you all, of course Slavika in particular has been on my mind a lot.
I am looking forward to planning our America trip but if it will be for 3 months I am not so sure now, it is a very long time.
Cannot wait to share some of the spectacular photos we have taken. We have learnt a lot about our camera but viewing the results is a little difficult on my laptop and in the bright sunlight.
Take care all....till next time...
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #10  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I am glad you got on the board and shared your experiences. You two are so very brave. I am not always familiar with your words. What are mozzies and midgees? I have a feeling they are mosquitos and other pests. When you go to the Gibb River road, is it supposed to be cooler? The horizontal falls kind of look like rapids to me. Maria, I am so impressed with you two. Are you missing Matilda drastically?

Slavika, I wrote this all out yesterday and lost it. I am so glad you shared your DH's last two days and the Celebration of Life. I was surprised to find that the Princess was having a bit of an easier time than the Prince, but they have you to guide them through this quagmire of grief. Broke my heart when he said "God didn't listen." I know how that feels. Memories will eventually ease the grief, but his memory will keep bobbing to the surface their whole lives. You have been blessed with such a wonderful close family. And you are a blessing to them. I couldn't believe you had 550 people. I probably don't know 550 people. I hope you are eating. Please let us know if you need to talk. This is such a strange vehicle for communication because in some ways we know each other very well and in others, not that well. I just know that my heart is engaged with each of you.

Ann, glad the ankle is doing better. It is awful when you can't move. Retire from the church musical director? Am I "hearing" right?

Peggy, thank goodness for "near misses". That had to be weird to think about what could easily have been. I hate tornadoes and the damage they can do--even wind sheer.

Florida girls, I hadn't heard about the gators. Please be careful. Karen, when you are digging around, make sure you don't pull up anything that moves.

Glenda
Old 05-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #11  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi..

Maria I feel like I am seeing the world vicariously through your travels. The two of you are very adventerous. We travelled more when we were younger, now I can travel for about 2 hours, then I need to get out of the vehicle for a while. Needless to say, it does take us a long time to get anywhere. It is 6 hours to Minneapolis Minn from my house and it takes us 2 days, we have to stop 1/2 way and rest. I think we all are looking forward to your pictures. Australia is so beautiful, I hope your North America trip won't be a disappointment to you. I know my city doesn't stack up to what you have seen.
Those temperatures would be way to hot for me.
That creepy old bloke (we would call him a geezer) made me think of a Stephen King novel. Strange that the both of you dreamt the same thing.... hummmm, was it a dream?
I too am curious as to how much you are missing Matilda.
Glenda I am sure the Mozzies are mosquitoes and the midges would be those tiny flies that bite and leave little marks on your body. We have midges up north, or in the dense bush.
Gloria Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Could you have allergies that would make that cough really bad and hard to shake? Cough suppressant doesn't work for me. My remedy is a glass of warm milk with a bit of butter added to coat the throat... and my extreme cough cure is a Tbsp. of straight Crown Royal, that seems to quiet the cough at night. I can imagine what you gals are thinking of me right now... swigging a mouthfull of whiskey in the am.
Peggy I think you asked me about nut allergies... my little is allergic to peanuts so she is supposed to stay away from all tree nuts until she is 5 years old and then she will be tested again. About 20% of children outgrow this and hopefully she will be in that small group. Try to find a bakery that doesn't have nuts in the facility.
Ann and Karen rarely a day goes by without an article in the newspaper about some alligator doing something to someone in Florida. The reason is because of the high influx of people moving to Florida and the housing boom in the everglades, the alligators have no where to go. Did you hear the same thing?
I saw Slavika yesterday and she is really doing well. Her family is just great. Right now her grandson is over and they are doing a puzzle. She has a great tip for all of you gals with toe rings and who have trouble getting that little ring on and off. She told me to put some WINDEX on the toe first and that little ring just slides right off. I was skeptical, but I am a believer now. I can only wear my ring with sandals, any kind of a shoe bugs me so I am always taking it off and on.

bye for now.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #12  

Trudy I don't think they have rally figured out what is going on It is mating season and they do become aggressive. also I think it has a lot to do with the no rain factor for around here. There is rain going on elsewhere in Florida but not where i live. we get maybe a drop or two.

I'm glad Slavika is doing well. it's good she has a close family.

Ann I thought the Earthquake sulution was great!

Later
Karen
Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

good Morning Everyone;

Slavika: So glad to hear from you here, and thank you so much for sharing with us. I felt so sad when you told us that your GS was disappointed because God didn't hear his prayer. I' m sure you had a good explanation for him that would be satisfactory and not harm the wonderful faith that kids have. And what nice memories for your GD to be wrapped up with you and sharing memories. I am so glad for all of us that we have this special circle of friends where we can share so much. and care so much.

Karen: Way to go with the continuous minus signs. I wish I could say the same. If there was ever proof that exercise keeps the weight off - I'm it. Since I haven't been able to do my daily walking and going to Curves, I've been going up - just plus signs. But now I am happy to say that I am getting back to it little by little. They took a big alligator out of our lake. But this year we haven't had any wanderers. Sounds like your yard is going to be 'slick'. I had to replace some plants out front, as the ones I had were very tasty to the rabbits, and they just left sticks. Hope they don't like the new plants. So far we haven't received any notice about our insurance. We wwent with Tower Hill, soon after the 3 storms were over. I hope we can continue with them. There are a lot of people in our park that have had to go with Citizens. There was a big piece in our paper about that, saying it was never meant to be a program so large, and probably there will have to be some changes made to it.

Gloria: So sorry that you are not feeling well. Hard coughing is really tough. It makes one hurt all over. I can surely sympathize. Glad you are now having some sunshine. HOpe the cough goes away soon.

Peggy: Scary 'train' in the night and trees blown over. Glad your house was not touched. When we lived up north we had something like that, but our house was spared. It was a wind that bounced from place to place. They called it a Microburst. I say, whatever they call it, it is not good. You will be glad when school is out. Here in Fl. the schools are closed now. I think this past Tues. was the last day. But then they start really early in the fall.

Trudy: We too travel and stop every two hours, and that is reason number ?? why we are not driving North this summer. Just too long a trip. It is so good that you are there for Slavika. Hope your DH is feeling better now.

Maria: I agree with all the gals that you two are very brave. The scenery you are seeing must be magnificent. My trouble is that I don't like high places. I'm not a good mountain traveler. I don't like to drive on roads where there is nothing between us and a big drop-over. The horizontal falls look very blue and beautiful. It does make me think or rapids and river pools. Is there much of a drop from the start to the end of the area? I too am wondering if you are having Matilda withdrawal. I bet she sure will be glad to see you when you get home. I too am thinking about all the bugs that are biting you. Up north we also had black flies and deer flies, and they would take a chunk right out when they bit.

Glenda: I can sympathize with you in losing a nice post. I have done that on occaison and it is very frustrating, to say the least. Are you getting enough rain now? I remember that you were very dry. We still need rain. As Karen said, we get a few sprinkles, but that is not enough. I am still considering leaving the music ministry at church. I decided that it wasn't right to just cut out because I wasn't too thrilled with the new Worship Leader. I have to give him a bit more of a chance, before I retire. This ankle business has made me slow down a lot. It has been hard to just sit, and read and keep my foot up, but it has paid off. I guess, when one doesn't know enough to slow down, God gives us something that forces us to to it.

Well time to get DH some lunch. 'See' you all later. Ann
Old 05-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Just a quick report. Yesterday was weigh-in. I had not been to WW in several weeks, due to so many conflicts, some of which were in my mind I guess, since knew I had gained. But yesterday was a good report, down .6. I am going to take any minus number I get. It is such a pain to take it off, but so easy to put it on.

Hope you are all having a pleasant long weekend. We will have a Memorial and flag ceremony at our clubhouse tomorrow and then a continental breakfast afterwards, with some bits of entertainment.

Our Norwegian daughter and her oldest son will be coming tomorrow p.m. and will probably be here for 5-6 days. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

It doesn't sound right to say happy Memorial Day so I'll just say have a thoughtful Memorial Day as we remember all those who gave their lives for our freedom. Ann
Old 05-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #15  
Web Nana

The Memorial Day weekend has come to an end and I hope all of could take advantage of the long weekend and with good weather in your corners of the world.

Weatherwise it was beautiful and I did take advantage of some deck time. I think I have finally turned the corner on that cough that has been with me for the last 10 days. Sunday I stopped the meds and I was able to sleep without a coughing session, however, day time I still have bouts of coughing.

DD#1 and Cam, 12, went to NYC Sunday to be there for Katie Couric's last two days. However, she and Matt had today off. She was able to get on TV for the tanning segment. She & Cam were in the background and she called to tell us to look for them. He had a red Red Sox hat so he was very visible. They will be there again tomorrow and she said she would be there very early to get a closer position.

Ann: Any number with a minus is a good number. They all add up.

Slavika: It is so good that your grandchildren are close so that you may be a comfort to each other. I am sure that sometimes they comfort you and others you comfort them.

Peggy: That must have been a scary time with the wind sheer. Glad no damage was done to your property.

Trudy: When we went to Disney last fall we did no more than 6 hours in a day. Even at that some days seemed so long.

Maria: You and Alan are such an adventerous couple. That is quite a long trip. I have checking out maps on line and it looks like most is in the non populated areas....that alone would scare me.

Glenda: That lost post happens to me all the time....I think it's because I am not really paying attention to what I am doing and click back instead of submint reply. Don't want you to think I have Attention Span Deficit.

Gloria
Closed Thread