UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/

Height: 5feet 2 inches

Default New Here

Hello
I am new here and need to lose weight. I have a problem with weight and diets in general. I lose weight then without changing things and I honestlt do not change things I start to gain again.
I am 52 years old and need to lose weight for my health.
Any tips or ideas would be gratefully accepted. I need all the help I can get.
Wulfcwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I'm soon to be 51 and, yes, gaining weight is definitely easier and losing weight is definitely harder as you get older.

Have you thought about a low GI diet - there's loads of them about, the Rosemary Conley one is supposed to be quite good and Anthony Worrall Thompson gives loads of information about it in his most recent recipe books.

About your losing then gaining when you haven't changed your diet, was that with the Slimming World diet? If so then your not alone because that happened to me as well.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #3  
serial dieter

Hiya,

I'm new here too, just joined last week, I'm 53, and I've found it increasingly difficult to lose weight. I think as we get older our bodies change, and I also think our bodies get used to a particular diet, so we actually need less food as we continue.

The other problem is that as you lose weight, you actually need fewer calories to sustain you, so you get to a point where you have to eat less again, to keep losing. This is all to do with calories in vs calories out, and our basal rate. Even if we stayed in bed all day, we burn a certain amount of calories, and the more we weigh, the more we use, so if you are losing weight on a certain calorie intake, if your weight drops, you won't be using as many calories, so that means you could stop losing weight or even begin to gain.

Hope this helps to explain it a bit.

Dieting is a constant fight with calories in vs calories out, so if you're not losing weight for whatever reason, its because you're not using more calories than you're taking in.

The theory is easy enough, it's putting that theory into practice that is so difficult!
whiteroseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #4  

Default Thanks

Thank you that makes sense. I have been on a low fat diet for ages and I mean ages, years in fact as I have a cholesterol problem. So maybe my body has got used to it and is now able to store rather than shift the pounds.

I need to find something that will allow me to lose weight and still be low fat. Tall order probably.
I have heard about Gi diets but have no idea what they are. Funds being very short I cannot afford to join things that mean paying out more money that can be used to get the fruit and veg I need.
I will have to do some serious research.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Hellooooo Wulfcwen
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #6  

Thanks Moo I am going to some resaech and find out about the GI diet and what entails.
I have chosen a lovely slide thingy for my weigh loss but it does not show up I wonder why? Duh there it is the last post I did it was not there. I hope it will soon show a loss.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #7  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

i can see it! Beautiful! hehe
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #8  
Consistency + Balance

There's loads of information on the internet about low GI. I think the whole GI thing helped me think through the kinds of food I eat. I used to eat low fat, low cal but nowadays I'm more likely to think about eating 'clean' - i.e. not eating processed foods. I'm also exercising a lot more which means I can eat more calories that I used to.

Have a look at the iVillage dot co dot uk website, its where I found a lot of the information that I started with. It all sounds a bit strange at first but once you get in to eating low GI it gets easy to make the right choices. If you need any help then please just let me know.

The other new thing in my life is exercise.... It didn't take long to realise that the more I exercise, the more I can eat - and I love my food.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #9  
Consistency + Balance

I can see it, too.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello and welcome, and I can see the tracker too
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #11  

I will look up the site you mentioned and see what I can glean from it I am going to take a look at Amazon as well and see if I get a book on GI that is not too expensive. Money is a real pain at times there never seems to be enough, now if I could turn the unwanted pounds in weight into pounds in cash all would be fine LOL