Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #1  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercise Forbidden

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051801025.html

It never occured to me that there were obese women under those robes. I can't believe that I imagined only smaller sized women. How absolutely short sighted of me.

Even though it is not against the law for Saudi women to exercise, you might as well say it is forbidden since society makes it so difficult. I for one am keeping this article in mind the next time I try to weasle my way out of my workout.

We take so much for granted. We don't even have to go to Saudi Arabia to find examples of people who want to exercise and can't. We should take advantage of the opportunities and freedoms we have to move our behinds. And thank God and everything that is good that we have a behind to move.

Getting off my soapbox and onto the treadmill. Today is going to be another lovely day.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Wow..that article was a real eye-opener for me. Thank you so much for sharing. Yesterday I had "the I don't want to exercise blues". So I got up this morning before hubby and little guy were up and worked my booty off. I am now trying to imagine how I would feel if I couldn't enjoy fitness or were going to be punished for doing it.

I am so grateful for the country in which we live.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Okay Jayde, Sunday is usually my day off from exercising, but after reading this, I'm going to go ahead and enjoy my exercise today. Thanks for linking to the article.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  
No description available.

This quote: "There is no faster way to corrupt nations than the emancipation of women _ that is getting her out on the street to entice men and ruin their morals," he added.

Good howdy! There are so many problems with this statement, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Amazing that so many women are opressed even today...This is a real tragedy.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am sickened and speechless. It really makes me grateful for the choices we have and the opportunities available to us.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

That kind of thinking is everywhere. My mother grew up with a very strict religious upbringing (protestant Christian) where girls/women were not permitted to wear pants or shorts. As a result, my mother was not able to participate in gym classes and couldn't exercise her body the way boys could (somehow, she still managed to stay 110 pounds). I can go on and on about the double standards regarding men and women found in the world's religions, but I'll refrain. Fortunately, my familiy's chosen dogma had loosened up a bit by the time I came around (pants and shorts on women were no longer sinful). However, I do recall back in high school, being told that I would have been allowed to do certain things (like staying out later) if I were a boy, but since I was born a girl, I just had to deal with the restrictions.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150 / 150 / 130

Height: 5 feet

great article. I forwarded it on to some people.
jprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #8  
Coop class of '82

So WOMEN are the cause of men losing their lofty morals!

This kind of thing makes me so mad, but there's nothing I can do about it but be grateful I'm not a Saudi (or a Muslim for that matter).
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKat63

This kind of thing makes me so mad, but there's nothing I can do about it but be grateful I'm not a Saudi (or a Muslim for that matter).
Well, I didn't really post the article for us to compare ourselves to a culture, but to show how people the world over might be restricted in their desire to exercise. Even without going overseas I can find so many examples of people who might want to exercise but can't.. or can't work it out.

bedridden due to illness, fraility, obesity
single mothers/ fathers who are run ragged just trying to raise children and make ends meet
married women who take on too many responsibilities
married women who have a spouse that does not encourage them to take "me" time
people who live in unsafe neighborhoods unable to go for a walk when they want
people unable to exercise due to religious or cultural restrictions

I'm sure there are many more.
My point is... I sit inside my suburban home with its big backyard. I have my health, two feet to move me, and plenty of exercise equipment to keep me happy, yet in the past I haven't consitantly exercised.

This is my point. The only thing restricting me.. is me.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #10  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Jayde - thanks so much for posting and reminding us to be more aware of and grateful for what we do have.

KimmyKat -
Quote:
. That bothers me unbelievably, I truly have no words.... Why can't people take responsibility for their actions is a thought that comes to mind, but oh my goodness I want to scream right about now and every time I hear/read something like this.

What I'm about to say, I intend to be said with kindness and not in the sense that I'm arguing or criticizing you

Quote:
Not all Saudi women experience this nor do all Muslim women. I know only a little about Islam, so I feel limited in what I can say - but I don't think it's the religion itself that is oppressive, I think it's an interpretation of the religion by persons in authority who have influence over laws. Each culture and religion is so incredibly complex, and it can be so hard to understand something we're unaccustomed to. Plus, with all the terrorism being the media spotlight nowadays, some people relate Islam with terrorism, which is so sadly inaccurate... every religion, every culture has its negatives and positives, that we will find oppression wherever we look depending on our values... I have a friend who is both Saudi and Muslim, she lives in North America, so yeah she fortunately has freedoms that she may not have elsewhere, but her family is encouraging, loving, and supportive. When she speaks of her family, the sense of respect her parents and siblings have for each other is obvious. The relationship between her parents and the relationship between herself and her parents (as a daughter) is much more loving, caring, and supportive than tons of relationships I have seen between friends of other cultures. I think that's just the nature of relationships, cultures, and religions though.. they're complex. But all over the world, people are just people.. we will find similar types of people wherever we go, even if we're influenced by culture and religion. And it's frustrating that some cultures seek to oppress these individualities in people in attempt to mould them into something those in power believe is best. But it's important to remember, especially nowadays, the high rate of multiculturalism that we find in many many countries. As well as the diversity of religion we find... There are tons of Saudi and Muslim women living all over the world, surely some of them more privilleged than you and I. I think it's fair to feel grateful for not having to endure certain experiences... but I think it's important we be careful to not generalize people, religions, and cultures.

I hope that didn't come out like a lecture of some sort... I just wanted to explain myself so I hope that all made sense!

Last edited by beautifulone; 08-12-2006 at 09:23 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #11  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone
I think it's fair to feel grateful for not having to endure certain experiences... but I think it's important we be careful to not generalize people, religions, and cultures.
Well said!