Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #1  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Default Metabolism Boosters??

Since we are dealing with such a well read, diet and nutrition versed group of gals I have a question. Does anyone have some great ideas to boost metabolism. I feel mine is in the toilet and need some tips to get it back up. Hopefully I am not the only one in this predicament.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Honestly-I think that the only real way to boost your basal metabolism is to increase your muscle mass . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

And eat frequently.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #4  
on LAWL

you guys are gonna force me to start back exercising--huh? I know--I just got so dang lazy lately! I can honestly say I eat frequently--I feel like I literally eat ALL day long!!

thanks girls
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

sorry boo, exercise and food combo is the best!
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #6  
Rachelle

S/C/G: 239/217/160 5ft7, 29

Default Green & Oolong Teas

They help-Oolong is best. It's a little higher in caffeine and it aids in digestion.
In other words, not only will it heat up your insides and get your little metabo fire burning, it may also make ya poop! So, you're bound to get skinny one way or the other

I haven't had my tea in a while and I notice a BIG CHANGE. It's hard for me to find here but, I used to get it in Asian Grocery back home. The Chinese serve Oolong Tea during meals if you've ever noticed in restaurants because it helps with digestion and some even believe that it channels the fat in foods right to your pooper rather than your bum. I haven't seen too many fat Asians and there's a **** of a lot of them so, they must be doing something right... It's us North Americans who have the wrong ideas for keeping the fat off in the first place! They avoid it before they even get to this point!!!

PS
If you get it-get the ones you actually BREW not that pre-bagged crap. That's a WASTE of time so are any "green tea drinks" that come in bottles like Lipton-it's just fad food not real. To get the real benefit, get the real deal.

~Rachelle

Last edited by Rachy; 05-21-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Rachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  
on LAWL

Thanks Rachelle--at this point I'll try anything--and if they help with digestion then that's just another bonus.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Once upon a time not long ago I kept reading about thermogenic pills. I thought "COOL!"
So I did some reading ... thermogenic means heat producing. Exercise is thermogenic, so is digestion. One fellow mentioned that food is thermogenic especially things that are harder to digest like protein and fiber.
I felt a little foolish then, having considered taking a pill when all we have to do to create thermogenesis is eat and move

please disregard my spelling here ... I was just making a light hearted remark and didn't bother to look up the multitudinous permutations of the word thermogenic
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #9  
Rachelle

Default More stimuli stimulus...

Eat move AND drink.

The body is incredible and it reacts to many differnt stimuli. Some less harmful than others. Thermogenisis can be dangerous when we use pills to get it going because some may contain harmful stimulants LIKE this one time I took a friends advice ( he was a heavy body builder) and used a caffeine, asprin and ephedrine stack. I lost 6lbs in ONE DAY and suffered jitters, clamminess, disorientation and mood swings. Wasn't worth it. BUT when we injest some more natural thermogenics, in moderation, it's not as chaotic to our systems. Caffeine is a thermogenic and a diuretic. Yet, people drink GALLONS of that stuff daily-I say if we're ok with cofee, why not substitute it with something that is also a digestive aid? Get the metabolism going, the pee flowing and the bowels moving! Wow a 3-in-1!!! Along with eating properly and moving our jiggly bums, we can't go wrong with that.

~Rachelle
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't believe, personally, that green tea helps with weight loss. I am an avid herbal tea drinker-and whether I am drinking green tea, black tea, traditional iced/hot tea (pekoe), or other specialty blends-I have never noticed a difference with "green" tea as far as weight loss. Teas do have nutrients and antioxidants and things in them that are wonderful for the body though, in other ways. (I do avoid all "diet" teas which contain ginseng/Ma Huang or other herbal "speeds" in them, or ingredients like senna-which is an herbal laxative)
I don't really believe that the Asian population is thin mainly because of tea drinking, either. They also walk or bike more/drive less, eat more soy, veggies, and whole grains than we do and less processed foods-and have other healthful habits. Genetically, they are also smaller boned/framed than a lot of us from other descents. In recent years, though, there has been a rise in weight problems in Japan, etc. due to more fast food chains and things popping up over there.

As far as metabolism-I recommend EXERCISE!!!!!! For best results, what you want to do is have a regime that combines:

~Strength Building Exercise~ Use weights or do Pilates or some other resistance exercise to build lean muscle mass. Lean muscle mass will give you better abs/legs/arms/butt/etc. and that muscle will burn more calories throughout the day while you are doing your regular every day activities just EXISTING.

~Cardio Exercise~ Cardio (such as walking, aerobics, dancing, or what have you) burns a lot of calories WHILE you are doing it, and helps to burn fat.

The result of doing both forms of exercise, is that you will burn a lot of extra calories-a lot DURING your cardio workouts, and a lot around the clock from doing resistance/strength exercise. The resistance exercise will firm and shape your muscles (You can get smaller with diet alone, but only strength exercise will give you flat, tight abs or a more compact butt!) and the cardio will help to get rid of the fat layer that is "covering them up".
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #11  
Rachelle

Default More on the Tea topic...

I think my info. may have been taken a little out of context...I'll clarify. I don't believe that teas are the end all be all. I also recognize that for some people, they have little reaction.

I too believe that exercise, especially strength training and muscle building are THE best ways to help boost the metabolism NATURALLY. I have been an athlete my entire life so, of course I know that the more you move, the less fat troubles you have. (I play rugby) When I play the less fat I am-I've been dormant some time!!!
I wasn't reffering to the entire Asian populace and I was being a little sarcastic - I am an avid tea drinker and SOME people who I have spoken to of Asian descent do speak highly of the benefits of certain teas. I am no scientist nor am I a herbalist BUT I do recognize that certain substances can stimulate us in various ways. My best friend is a sports nutritionist, another friend is a naturopathic healer/herbalist. (she's a little weird but I love her) I often discuss with them my diet woes so, I get some info. about certain new "fads" from time to time - both of them agree to the benefits of tea metabolic, cleanse worthy and otherwise. I tend to trust their input as they are the professionals and are not into any sort of "quick fix" drugging up weightloss approach, but that's just me. I have 10 years of university behind me, none of it had anything to do with health or nutrition so I trust the experts... If it deals with International Development or Anthropology call me!

We all know that different things work for different people.
The teas just happen to work for me so, I am confident in sharing my experience and my information. Take from it what ya will! Good luck!

~Rachelle