Old 05-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/225/180

Unhappy I cann't find a title to this message.

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here on this site, i like it a lot and thought that i should give it a try and post all my thoughts here, hoping that someone can tell me that if i do atkins i will lose weight and will maintain losing it .

From my experience, Atkins realy worked fine with me 2 years ago, but i realy got sick of just eating protein , veggies. I realy missed bread, rice, fruits, milk a lot, i know that you will tell me that i can have these stuff on second or third phase but the problem is once i have one i feel that i need all.This is my big problem, i just eat everything that my eye can see, i always eat my baby's chocolates, buiscuts, chips, ect...

Anybody, tell me how much weight did you lose and for how much time and how long did you keep it.

Also i would apprecite it if you could tell me what can i do with eating everything, i don't have any strength at all.

My weight had affected my life in so many ways,
1)I cann't play with my daughter(3 years old) anymore.
2)Any simple effort could make me feel realy exhausted.
3)Don't find any cloth to wear.
4)I am always in a bad mood cause i feel that i am a loser who cann't control my eating happits.
5)I hate excersize, i cann't stand it.
6)I hate people's words when they tell me that i have to lose weight.
7)I have very bad knee problem, that i cann't bend it or walk for more than 20 min.
8)I feel that this weight issue have affected my ability to get pregnant again.
9)I don't like to go outside, i just feel its better to just stay at home.

Sorry for being so desperate and made you feel bad but this is realy what i feel and i just needed someone to talk to and inspire me to start doing it again.

Kotty
kotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I would focus on one thing at a time...not try and give it all up at once and just one day at a time. Don't look at it like your giving up something forever...just ask yourself if you can do this today. Worry about tommorrow when it gets here!
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I know how you feel. Many of your responses to things that are bothering you are the same as mine. I started Atkins on June 24, 2005, 10 1/2 months ago. I have lost 84 lbs. I am 5 lbs. to goal and reading as much as possible now on learning how to maintain my weight loss. My loss is slowing now, which is expected and I truly find that I am getting close to learning what my ACE will be. I think a person can maintain the weight loss if they continue to eat appropriately and don't let old habits creep back in. I know that bread was a problem for me too, but low-carb bread tastes good and it's all I ever use now. Plus, I make great mexican foods with low-carb tortillas. The thing about Atkins that has worked so well for me is not having to go hungry. I have always loved food and have a hard time with calorie counting or low-fat options. However some people do fantastic with these WOE and I am proud they are able to do that. I never cared much for exercise either, so I walk a lot per my physicians orders and to help me get the weight off. Good luck in your endeavors and let me know if I can be of any help.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 AM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

Kotty,

You aren't going to like what I have to say. But this is plain talk. Honest and straight forward. You sound a lot like me. And you sound a lot like someone else I've seen on this forum.

I'm not sure who it is, but her message at the end of her post in her signature really struck me. She said "I'll do anything to lose this weight...except for diet and exercise."

I saw that and said "exactly". We want the results without the work. Or as someone said in another place, we have an "inner brat" who wants to be a "princess". She wants to be rescued, to have it all be easy. Some fairy godmother should show up and wave her magic wand and poof, we will be thin without going through the effort to get there. Who are we kidding?

I hear you saying "I hate to exercise". "I hate to give up my favorite foods", "I have no will power" "I eat all the things I know are bad for me" and also "someone tell me I can lose this weight and keep it off".

I'm not going to tell you that. Because you can't. You can't hope to lose the weight with Atkins, go back to your former way of eating and keep the weight off. You can't "hate exercise" and not do it, and hope to keep in shape. We don't have fairy godmothers.

So what can you do? What can I do? We can get serious. We can recognize that there is cause and effect. You eat the wrong foods, you are going to gain weight. You refuse to exercise you are going to compound the problem. BUT, it doesn't have to be as extreme as we tend to try and make it either. Exercise doesn't mean sweating and stressing ourselves out. A nice walk can be exercise. Digging a few weeds in your garden can be exercise. Lugging the groceries up the stairs can be exercise. We don't have to go for broke, and we don't have to kill ourselves. We can make small changes over time that we can live with.

With Atkins you can lose the weight, and you can maintain and keep it off, IF you keep the low carb attitude. I lost 50 pounds in 2000, and kept the weight off for 2 years, lost an additional 10 or so pounds and kept most of that off for another year. But then I gave up on the low carb attitude and started eating whatever I wanted and gained most of it back.

No magic wands. No fairy godmothers. Losing it (or part of it) again took work and effort and losing the rest of it will too.

Do I HAVE to do it with Atkins? Do you? No. If we can't handle the deprivation, we can accept a different method of weight loss, accept perhaps a smaller or slower loss, and also be able to eat some of our favorite foods. What we do know however, is that whatever we choose, we will have to give up SOMETHING. It might be only part of the breads and sweets we enjoy eating. It may be only a small part of our sitting or lying on our butts time (in favor of movement), but it isn't going to happen by accident.

You CAN lose the weight the low carb way if that is what you want to do. But you need to make up your mind in advance that if this is the method you choose to use to lose your weight, you will be doing this (or some slightly modified version of this) for the rest of your life! Can you do this? Is it worth it to you to be thin? If not, WHAT can you do, that would be worth it to you? Nothing? Then forget it, you are going to stay fat. Be satisfied with that. On the other hand, when you look at it honestly and reasonably (without the princess attitude), if there ARE changes you can make and live with them, then make THOSE changes and be happy with your losses, however slow or fast they are. As time goes on, you may find that you enjoy some more movements than you originally thought, and you may want to exercise more. And this may speed things along for you a bit.

Please don't feel that I'm picking on you, I'm talking to myself right now too. I TOO want it to be easier than it is. I want my cake and to get to "eat it too". I want my weight loss, but I don't want to give up my chocolate or other wonderful goodies. I do try and exercise a little, but I'd prefer to sit on my butt at the computer and type to my friends.

I'm not kidding myself though. I have the right to make these choices. BUT the choices I make will affect the results I get. If I want to stay fat, then all I need to do is keep on making the choices I'm making now. If I want to lose? I need to accept that I need to make different choices.

Some of the choices I'm making lately that are different are:
1 drinking more water
2 eating earlier in the day
3 trying to not eat late at night
4 moving more. Getting some exercise
5 watching and at least being aware of how much higher carb food I put in my mouth every day.
6 limiting how much high carb food I consume
7 making sure that I eat slowly and eat healthy and enjoy, by being present in the moment, the foods I do eat.
8 trying to make my choices more about quality food than quantity.

Are these changes enough? Something tells me no. That I'm going to have to buckle down and get even more serious. But until I'm ready to do that, these tactics are helping me to maintain what I've already lost and not gain it back.

My suggestions to you are to make changes in your life, but make changes you can live with. If you want to do Atkins? Then make up your mind that you are going to do it with all you've got, and that you are going to accept the limitations it imposes on you. Recognize that there is a scientific law of cause and effect, and that there is NO cheating that law. It is like what the Bible says about what you "sow" you will also "reap". You don't sow corn and get a crop of tomatoes or wheat.

Same way with our bodies. If we sow a lack of self control, an unwillingness to limit how much or the kinds of foods we eat, we sow an unwillingness to exercise, we aren't going to get back a svelte, lovely thin body. We know this. Our logical conscious minds know this. But that little princess brat in the middle of our hearts, that little child that has never grown up, keeps screaming "It's not fair! Why do I have to be fat? Why CAN'T I eat what I want? Why do I have to exercise?" Because. If we will "do anything" to lose the weight "except diet and exercise" we will do anything BUT lose the weight. Simple, straight forward, facts of life. Nothing we can do about it even if it isn't "fair".

If you choose Atkins, put your whole self into it. Do it happily and not grudgingly. Be grateful for the quick weight loss, not angry or pouty about what you can't have. And if you can't do that, then choose a different method. Choose something you can handle. Right now I've decided that I can't handle Atkins. I'm hoping in time to change my mind, but there is nothing more frustrating than PRETENDING to be all into a particular way of eating when in reality you hate it. You can't lose weight that way. That inner rebellious brat will sabotage you every time. Unless you can get her cooperation you will be spinning your wheels and wasting your time and effort.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

Definitely decide of LC is the way you want to live the rest of your life. And you're right, you won't ALWAYS have to "deprive" yourself of all that stuff. But to get past the cravings you will. And if you're SERIOUS about losing weight, and you're SEROUS about doing Atkins/low carb you then do it a day at a time. Exercise hurts? Believe me, I'm the queen of the hating exercise club. I started Atkins and didn't exercise. And yes, it works w/out exercise. BUT I also know that I'm to the point where I'm going to have to exercise to get the rest of the weight off. I also know that even though I'm slipping a LOT on the junk carbs lately...I prefer the way that Atkins makes me feel. Why do I slip? Because I'm human (and have no willpower). Does that mean I'm going to give up? Nope.
So think on whether you truly want to do this WOE. Then do it the best you can. As for exercise...as the weight comes off and you get more energy, try just walking in place for 5 minutes. ANY exercise will help
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #6  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I agree with the above posters, they all have excellent advice.

The things you wrote I could've written myself a year ago. I HATED myself, hated everyone around me and felt like I had no future. If you decide that LC is for you, then grab the Atkins for life book and read it...you don't have to deprive yourself. I'm sitting here eating a cheeseburger with all the fixins (without bun!) right now.

When I decided to LC I had just had lumbar surgery for two ruptured disks in my back. I started exercising by walking 1/4 block to my mail box every week, then worked up from there and I'm at 4 miles 10 months later.

after you start exercising on a regular basis you will see how awesome you feel and will hate it when you CAN'T exercise. If everyone liked to exercise then most of the US wouldn't be obese right now.

I know that if I can do it, YOU can do it, it has to be a little 'click' in your head though. You have to want to lose the weight. Good luck in your decision, it sounds like you recognize the problems. I too hated to go outside, but I've bought my first swimsuit this year and plan to wear it a lot!! A lot of inside change goes on as well during your weight loss, you will be amazed at how much your life changes!!

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #7  
is about to be slim !!

S/C/G: 170/164.4/147

Height: 5ft 3in

I to have struggled with my weight for a few years thinking just another one will not matter. I agree with Lacey something in your head just clicks and you think right now is the time to do it. I am a week inand feeling better already the thing that keeps you going is knowing that you can chat to people who are to going through what you are!! Everyone understands .
I wish you the best of luck give it a go I am sure you shall make it a success if you really want to!!

Amanda xx
AmandaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #8  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I have lost 24 lbs total in about 7 weeks, but it could have been more. I went off plan for about 10 days right there in the middle to try calorie counting, and gained 3 lbs back. So I'm back now, and I can tell you that I have tried other diets and with the exception of a prescription a long time ago, they have not worked for me. Atkins has. It is well known for the rapidity at which you can lose. As long as you don't go back to old eating habits when you're done, you shouldn't have to worry about gaining it back. Dr. Atkins says in his book that after you've lost all you wanted, if the lbs start creeping back up, to allow yourself only a 5 lb gain before starting the plan again.

It IS depressing to be overweight. To walk around in public next to all the "skinny" people. To shop for clothes. To feel like a whale when you even think about exercise. You are not alone-but instead of us sitting around here continuing to be depressed about it, let's encourage each other to change. I can tell you because I have been the whale AND the skinny girl that the bigger you are, the harder it is to exercise. It's embarassing, and it hurts! But try Atkin's, or whatever works for you, and start out slowly. Any movement helps!
As far as the food, this is THE best diet for not feeling deprived. The foods allowed are FILLING foods, and once you get through induction and past the cravings and on your way through OWL, the variety opens up. Like lilybelle said, there are low-carb options for MOST of the off-limit foods that you can try later. My vice is chocolate-very no-no, but there are even options for that!
I have arthritis in my knees, and I'm only 27. Extra weight only compunds joint problems. I bought a Gazelle because there is no impact on the knees-way less impact than even walking. Getting moving can only help whatever physical ailments that any of us have.

Buy the book. I am intimidated by anything that says "it's a life sentence"...that's just to big for me to think about, and reason enough to give up. But in the first few chapters, he said to try it for just two weeks, then decide. That's what got me here. I'm just taking it one day at a time, and I'm gonna get there. Come to this site often-there are lots of ladies here with advice, success stories, inspiration, and the occasional kick in the butt. I could not be doing this without all of them!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #9  

I am realy ashamed that i cann't stick to a program, but thanks to all of you guys i will take your advice and do this a day at a time, today is my second day and i am doing great.

alextucker,
I like your idea of doing it one day at a time.

lilybelle,
Congratulations on losing all those lbs, i am sure that it made a huge difference to you. Hopefully i can do that too BTW, are we allowed to drink diet soda?

SherryA,
Your words was realy straight forward to my mind, you are totally right cause you showed me the truth that i want to be skinny without going the miles, i like that you are taking it a bit by bit, this realy helps a lot.

Lady_adnerb,
I hate excersize too and i can imagine myself doing anything that is related to fitness excersise, nor even walking.
I think i need to lose around 30 lbs to be able to start walking again.

bnbsmommy1,
WOW, you lost 86lbs that is realy an inspiration to me.I have started my LC way yesterday and hope i can stick to it same like you, can you give me a sample day menu, so i can use any of your meals.

Thank yo ugus
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #10  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I eat super simple. I'm always on the run and don't have time to make exorbrant meals. I LOVE taco salads (minus the shell/chips) so I have at least one of those a day. About the first 9 months I ate a TON of egg things...had an omelette or 2 egges every morning with bacon, etc. When I eat out it's always a steak or hamburger. If there's nothing on the menu that I can eat (like a chinese food place) then I don't eat until I get home. Now that it's coming on to summer time I usually eat a salad every morning. A sample meal when I started (and was losing faster) is:

b: 2 scrambled eggs, 4 pieces of bacon (or more if I felt hungry)
l: cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, onion & mayo & 1 cup of brocolli & cheese
s: steak

right now though my stomach has shrunk a lot and it doesn't take a lot to fill it up so my menu is usually something super simple like:

b: salad w/ lettuce, spinach, sunflower nuts, shredded cheese & ranch
l: chicken or taco salad or bacon, lettuce and tomato

during the day I grab little things here and there...a couple of strawberries, slice of cheese, a couple of grapes, some nuts..

lately I haven't been eating after 3:00 pm, I don't recommend it for anyone but for me it works, because that's when my 'sweet' cravings hit.

hope I didn't blab too much, let me know if you have any further questions, as you can see I love to yack

edited to add:
I re-read your post. I'll bet a huge percentage of people in here felt JUST like you. But there IS a big bright world out there and life is just too short to NOT enjoy it!! There are many wonderful people to meet and if you have kids then the sooner the better, their lives are greatly affected by having a parent who can't do things with them and has a terrible self image. I saw where you said you couldn't walk for more than 20 minutes. Be thankful that you can walk that 20 minutes, just start out small. Walk to the mailbox, walk a block...and of course always seek a doctors opinion when you start losin' all that weight and want to start jogging 2 miles each morning

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sherry, that was a very honest and straightforward post. Thanks , it made so much sense to me. It is true, Atkins works great but a person has to be willing to put forth the commitment and realize that nobody gets it for free. I didn't lose my weight by going off program and sitting on my butt. That's for sure. There is no other way.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 AM   #12  

Sherry,
I really needed to read that post. It was a eye opener.
THANKS
Adeela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #13  
Going to ONEderland

You're welcome. It is just simple logic. But us women we tend to internalize everything and turn it into an emotional battle rather than a logical battle. I think that may be partly why men are so much more successful at weight loss sometimes than we women are, (in addition to their natural advantages of more muscle and more testosterone.)

When I was first planning to start trying to lose weight, I read an article called "Diet like a man". It indicated that men don't invest a lot of emotion into dieting. We women do. They look at it as cause and effect, and change the cause in order to change the effect.

We women have more synapses between the left and right hemisphere of our brains. Our logical side integrates more with our emotional and creative side. This makes it harder (I think) for us to separate logic from feelings.

Dieting shouldn't be about feelings (for us it often is), but it should just be about getting what you pay for. reaping what you sow. Calories in vs Calories burned. It really IS a math equation. No room for emotions within math. This plus this equals this, no wiggle room. It just makes sense on a logical level.

Why then do we feel that we just HAVE to have this little piece of chocolate. Our emotions are going to suffer if we don't? Ah well. Keeping a logical attitude about it and letting go of the princess brat who wants things done FOR her, makes it easier.

When you think about it though, weren't we all brought up on fairy tales? Didn't we expect "Prince Charming" or our "Fairy Godmother" to come and rescue us? Wasn't someone ELSE supposed to take care of the hard things in life and we just had to be our own sweet selves?

It is scary the lessons we teach our daughters without meaning to.

Guess what? I am my OWN Fairy Godmother. I am my OWN Prince Charming. IF I get to ride off into the sunset it will be through my own efforts. Gee that doesn't sound near as much fun does it? But it makes sense.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #14  
Going to ONEderland

I thought about my last post here, and I think that there is one thing I was forgetting about. There is a third side to the brain, a third part that has nothing to do with logic or creativity, but a side that doesn't rely totally on ourselves. That side has to do with faith. With believing that if we do our part, put one foot in front of another and keep on doing that, that there is Someone who will help us. That all we have to do is OUR part of it and that the results, the help will follow.

I always get so lost when I start relying too much on myself alone, and start to forget about the help the HE provides. No fairy godmothers but there is a God.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #15  

Sherry,
you are absolutly right, i should have more faith in God cause god is the only one who can guide me throught this. Unfortunatly, many times i feel totally alone which is not right, i just have to take some resbonsibilities for my actions and stop feeling sorry about me.

Lacey,
Today is my forth day, i realy find it hard to count the carbs in all the food that i eat and i realy don't feel that i want to have any meat, i am avoiding rice, bread, desserts, pasta, and trying to focus more on veggies, cheese, beans and some fruits.I know that this isn't atkins rules , but right now i find it hard to follow it strickly, so i am trying to do it step by step until i am able to totally commit to the plan.

what do u think about that? is this wrong or should i stick to the plan and just do it?

kotty