South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #1  
South Beach Life Style

Default do you weigh yourself everyday??????

I get the daily dish emailed to me,, and I thought I would pass this a long..

Do you weigh yourself every day? Do you worry about even the slightest change in your weight? If you answered "yes" to either of these questions, you may be obsessing over the scale — and if you're trying to maintain healthy habits, this behavior can actually be counterproductive.
The truth is, your weight may change from day to day for many reasons. Fluid retention, hormonal fluctuations, constipation, and even the food you ate right before stepping on the scale can cause daily ups and downs. These variations can be misleading and worrisome if you don't understand them. For an accurate measurement of your weight, weigh yourself only once each week and on the same scale every time (different scales may give different readings). An even better method of measuring your success is to let your belt be your guide. If your clothes fit better and you feel better, then you're getting healthier — even if the bathroom scale doesn't show big changes.
Ultimately, it's up to you to stop scale obsession. Weight loss takes time, so patience is required. Dr. Agatston, preventive cardiologist and author of The South Beach Diet® says, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Remember, if you're practicing weight-healthy habits like those recommended by The South Beach Diet®, you will enjoy better health, and the extra pounds will come off in the process — whether you step on the scale every day or never again.

Source: Southbeach.com

Last edited by MsCrockett; 05-18-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/177/145

oh my gosh, Yes, yes, yes. Every day 3x a day. I'm obsessed!! My husband has threatened to hide the scale.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I normally do that everyday, first thing, after I potty! I've had to stop though cause it was really, really bugging me and I think I was on the way to sabotaging myself! I'm toning up, losing fat....I KNOW I'm doing great, but my scales aren't MOVING!!! Unless it's up!

I'm making myself take a break from the scales for awhile...probably at least a week. I know I'm making progress, so I'm going to enjoy the feel of my slimming body for awhile before I devastate myself with that number...lol.

Kim
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  
South Beach Life Style

Well, IMO and from personal experience, this is my First time choosing to be healthy and consume the right foods for my body, This is MY SECOND time going for weight loss, the first time the only reason I wanted to change was to ONLY lose weight. so I was scale obsessed, I had no other reason but to lose weight and get a man, well as you can tell I lost big time... I failed the program I was on because I got obsessed with 15 lbs to lose,, and I was a Scales addict, due to being focused on losing weight ONLY..
This new SBD life style I am doing NOW, is to be healthy for me, and the weight loss is the bonus, and with this mid set I am not obsessed with the scale, When I hit a Plataue I will truely know if My mindset is what I am focusing on, As long as I know I am eating right and excercising I need to remember that as the weight loss stalls. I have done a lot of soul searching before even taking the plunge, to lose and gain it all back is horrid and I know I just cant do that again. I weigh in weekly,, every Sunday Morning, and that is it.. I eventually want to totally get away from weighing weekly and weigh in once a month,, but that is what I want to do.. Just MY OPINION.. Take Care
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 136/135/120

I am a daily weigher! I do understand all the daily fluctuations, and I am not obsessed with the number that jumps out at me. But it does help to keep me on track. Over that last year and a half, I have watched that number steadily increase, but knowing is better than not knowing, IMO. When the numbers are going steadily down, and I hope they start to this week, it is a great feeling and much-needed positive feedback on a daily basis.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #6  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I weigh once a week, sometimes satruday AND sunday but not for the rest of the week. I"d rather see one big loss than a lot of tiny ups and downs
Old 05-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #7  
The Fenix In Flight

S/C/G: 248/232/160

My name is Deb and I am a scale addict. I weigh everyday some time 2 or 3 times a day. I weigh when I get up after the potty, I weigh when I get home from the gym and then again b4 bed!!! I know this is really unhealthy because I freak if it is even up just a smidge! Mu hubby says he is gonna throw it out He can't do that to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #8  

BACK AWAY FROM THE SCALE

I know it is hard, unless you have realistic expectations,and say to yourself it's just a normal up ... it can really affect your mood, and dwelling on WHAT DID I Doooo Wrong,when in truth, it could be you are doing everything right!

I weigh in 2x a week then take an average at the end of the month to get my true weight loss or gain ... My Weigh in day that I take for the average is Wednesday...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/177/145

Yeah, after reading this thread I decided I would put the scale away and weigh myself on Saturday AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #10  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I try not to weigh myself everyday - I used to be a hubutual weigher...not I put my scale in the bathroom however I have to bend down and move it to the middle of the floor to use it...is it sad that my laziness keeps me from doing it more than once every 3 days or so?
Closed Thread