YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/230/140

Default Just starting Dr. Phil

Hey everyone. My name is Angela and I'm 22. I just got the Dr. Phil book yesterday and started reading it. I was just wondering if you had an ideas, tips, or anything for me about the book and weight loss. Maybe we can even start a chatting thread about our success. I would love to hear how people are doing and be heald accountable for my actions. Wish me luck!
buckneram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #2  

Welcome!!!!

I haven't strictly been doing Dr. Phil, I combine his ideas with WW. Most people on this thread have wandered off to other areas. But I am here if you'd like to chat Where in Western, NY are you? I live in PA about 60 miles south of Buffalo, but I spent some growing up years in Chautauqua County and Catteraugus County. My parents still live in Olean, NY.
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #3  

I live in Salamanca. We must live pretty close. I go to Olean and Bradford all the time to shop. I love Wal-Mart. Anyways, I'd love to chat. Let me know where you're from!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #4  

Oh okay, we're almost neighbors LOL In high school I swam at Salamanca a few times and I used to do speech therapy at the Head Start in Salamanca I graduated from Allegany High School and went to Fredonia for college. I currently live in Genesee, PA, not far from Coudersport.

I am 29, married, I have 2 kids DD just turned 3 and DS is 20 months. I would LOVE to reach my goal before I turn 30. I am not sure how realistic that is.

I love the concepts that Dr. Phil presents in his book, but find the points system keeps me on track.

Have a great night!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #5  

Well, that's to funny! I hated Salamanca HS there was never anything to do! I live with my bf of three years and we plan on getting married. No children, but want them someday! I am a student at Empire State College with a major of Community and Human Services. I want to help children or the elderly.
Okay, so I'm reading this book. How much time do you spend on one key. i can only have the book out for three weeks, but I can renew it. I like doing the exercises, it motivates me. Do you spend so much time on each step in the book before you move on. I'm just curious because I'm just reading it now and then want to go back and work it out.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #6  

Hi! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

As far as how long to spend on each key this is what I did....

Read the whole book front to back. Then went back and did the exercises in each chapter, taking notes on where I felt I needed to work. I summed up each key on an index card and on the back I wrote what I needed to work on specifically...cleaning out the house to create a fail safe environment ect. I kind of feel like it is a forever kind of process. Some keys I have to work on more than others, but I kind of think you work on them...until... as Dr. Phil puts it. Each day I have to make sure to encorporate them into my life. I used to try to focus on a key a week, but I didn't really stick to it. So, now I try to be conscious all the time.

I've read the book at least 4 times. But I got a copy of it from my Gramma as I aksed for it for x-mas on year. So I always have it on hand. If you have to return it I suggest you reda it through if you can and jot down ideas as you go.

Well I have to run. I have my two kids, plus I babysit a 3 year old (2 days older than DD) and his 6 month old brother. So 4 kids 3 or under It's circle time so I have to jet. Have a great day!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #7  

Thumbs up

hi, i decided to give his book another read. I need a a good lifestyle plan; and i think he has a good plan.

best of luck
Adeela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #8  

that's a good idea about the index cards. i think i'll read it all then do the index card thing. i need to do something!
Adeela-Welcome! Hope you have good luck too. Let us know how you are doing. We'd love to chat!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #9  

I haven't read the book in a long while. I am working on changing alot of habits in alot of areas of my life right now, maybe I will dust off the book and give it another read
Old 05-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #10  

Another read may be good! Sounds like you are doing great though!
Well, last night was horrible. But, that's alright. Had pizza, a few beer and chips. I haven't looked at the book in a week and am in one of those who cares moods! Crazy me. Gotta do lots of cleaning today! Here I go...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #11  

Hi all - can I join in? I just got his book, and am giving it a read. I had previously read Oprah and Bob Greene's "Make the Connection" and found it very helpful.

I am 35 and single ( I couldn't be more single if I were living in a convent and singing "climb every mountain"). I work in human services, and in my spare time I read, spend time with my dogs and horse, and like to show.

Misty, I liked your idea about reading and then going back. I will have to try that. I know with the Oprah book, I dog eared pages and highlighted

Have a good one all.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #12  

Hey jollygirl. Glad to have you.
I am going to school for human services. I don't know what I want to do yet, but something with children or the elderly. I got the Dr. Phil's book from the library and returned it. I'm kinda just been watching what I eat and being active. Don't really follow any certain program anymore, but I am here to chat!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 AM   #13  

Good morning, Angela. I started out school pre-vet. But "discovering" fermented grain beverages, I didn't quite get the 4.0 you need for vet school. I switched majors to psychology, not quite sure what I was going to do with it. I got into working with people who have developmental disabilities by accident, and love what I do. I have worked my way to upper management by now. It is a good opportunity to put my big mouth to good use.

I had several people recommend Phil's book to me. I have to admit, I think he is a bit pompous. However, if it can help me get past some of my more mental issues, it will be worth it. I regularly exercise. This year I have made great improvements in my basic diet. However, I still do some of the emotional, self medicating, eating. This is what I am trying to work on.

Well, off to the gym. Have a super day all
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #14  

Hey girlie, sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been so busy. My cat had kittens today. They are so itty bitty and cute! I discovered the same type of stuff when I went away to college! I think it's pretty typical these days. Well, off to bed! Have a good weekend.