Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 04:18 PM   #1  
A new Mom

Default Pregnant and Staying Fit ~ November

Ok... I decided to start a new thread sooner rather than later this month.

No new news on my end of things except that I wasn't totally able to stay away from the left over Halloween candy. (The forced me to eat the canybars I swear!) I didn't buy much this year, and gave out at least 2 or 3 pieces to every child that knocked (and I had some repeats ) but I still ended up with about the equivalent of one full bag that had been opened and I have a bag that hasn't been opened and hopefully will either leave the house or stay unopened. (Hows that for a run on sentence?)

Our ultrasound is Tuesday, and I found out that I can bring a blank video and they will record it for us. I'm really looking forward to that. So we will be able to study the baby at will.

Trish; I'm glad that you are passing your finger pricks and that the babys heart rate is good.

Ann; what day is your 3 hour test? Keep us informed.

Tamara; are you still with us? I bet it's been crazy at your house with the kids and Halloween. Don't forget to take time for you and let us know what's going on.

I hope everyone is doing well,

Lara
Old 11-03-2001, 07:29 PM   #2  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Hello all!!I am new to this thread..EDD July 4th soo things are just starting for me..I go to my first OB/GYN appt Nov 29th but I had 3 positive tests and no AF since Sept..Ok, what do I expect???The morning sickness hits in the evenings...I am trying to eat only good stuff and keep weight gain at a minimum of 25-30lbs...Any insight on things to come??????
RR
Old 11-04-2001, 11:07 AM   #3  
A new Mom

Welcome to the group RR!

I had to wait forever to get in to the OB too. Is this your first baby? It is our first. Exciting times.

My morning sickness hit's mostly in the evenings too, although I did have all day sickness for a few months. The only things that really helped me at all were limeade, ice cold water to sip, and believe it or not really strong peppermints. Make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day as some dr's say that for some people morning sickness is a sign of dehydration. It can also cause dehydration if you are getting really sick. Another tip is to have a snack midafternoon, veggies and protein are best, as I find that sometimes if I go too long without eating I get sick. Of course, as with all morning sickness treatments/cures YMMV (your mileage may vary). These are only things that seemed to help me a bit.

Also, make certain that you are taking a good prenatal vitamin. It is EXTREMELY important that you are getting enough folic acid. I've tried a few different types and the one I like best is from GNC. It doesn't make me sick and it has higher values for most of the vitamins and minerals than most brands. On top of that it's not as expensive as a lot of the others. I think it was approx $17 for a bottle of 120 as compared to close to $30 for a bottle of 90 of other brands. I also take a calcium supplement and a ton of vitamin C (I like the ester-C). The calcium supplement is important if you can't handle milk especially well, or if you drink a lot of soda. The Vitamin C helps your immune system, I was getting every cold the kids at school exposed me to until I started upping my vitamin C.

I find that reading alound to the baby makes my pregnancy seem more real. There have also been studies that show a possible correlation between higher IQs in children who were read to inutero, and if it is technical reading higher test scores in those areas. Of course, most of those studies talk about it after the fifth or sixth month when the babys hearing is developed, but I have been doing it since I found out I was pregnant... even before I read those studies. Like I said it makes the baby seem real to me -- and that's a big thing when except for the vomitting, fatigue, and sore breasts there were no other signs of pregnancy.

Now that I've written a book, sit back, relax, get lots of sleep, and enjoy being pregnant.

Lara

Old 11-05-2001, 09:38 AM   #4  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Hello all. RR, welcome. I would talk with your dr about the pre-natal (call if you are not on them) Mine are an RX and not sold over the counter...so I don't know if I would mix other vit. with them. Anyway, I am not a usual vit taker so don't know much about that stuff.

Lara: have fun at your ultrasound. They are great fun. I wish I could have one all the time. We have had like 9, but have not had one since 24 weeks. We are 32 weeks now, so I bet he looks really diffrent.

Well, my hubby and I started our baby birth class last night. It is very informative and should be very helpful. Even with reading, there is just so much that I feel I don't know about the labor process.

Well, I am off to the Dr. so I need to get going.

Trish
EDD 1/1/02
Old 11-05-2001, 03:45 PM   #5  
A new Mom

Oh definitely... I should have said to check with your Dr before you add calcium to any other supplement....

Vitamin C is water soluable and will only give you the runs if you take too much.

But definitely taking some prenatal vitamin is a must. Even if your Dr does want to prescribe one for you in the long run, starting right away with at least something formulated for pregnancy is necessary. The folic acid is so important... deficiencies can lead to neural tube defects like spina bifida etc.

Trish; I'm looking forward to starting Birthing classes too. Brad doesn't like to read much, he is a hands on type person. Of course, in this case I definitely want him to have SOME information before the big day arrives. He wants to go to the classes too so that's a plus.

Lara
Old 11-05-2001, 04:33 PM   #6  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Oh I agree Lara, Pre nats are very important right away. My dr called in an RX for me when I called to make my first appt. I did not have to hold off until the appt I just started taking the RX ones the day I tested + at home. He said they can not hurt to be on. In fact, I really should have started like 3 mo before we started TTC. But I was taking a reg. multi-vit with the recomended folic acid requirement for a while before.

Dr. appt went well. I did not gain any weight (that is good as I gained a little too much last appt and it had only been 2 weeks) and all else looks great.

We had a non stress test last Friday as I was not feeling the baby move as much. But all is fine. One thing to remember is that if you have a meal that is a little more fatty than you are use to it can make the baby slugish. I don't think I did as I try to not eat that, but I thought it was an interresting think to keep in mind.

RR: If I have any advice it is to keep exercising,,,even if it is walking. Talk with your Dr. (I was not allowed to exercise or do much else the first trimester as I was on bed rest then) but I am doing as much as I can now (a lot of walking and water arobics) and it really makes me feel so much better!

I really recomend the water classes. Mine is a prenatal one which is vey nice as I have women to talk to and have gotten lots of advice (even Ped recomendations!). But mostly, I love how the water makes me feel. It really supports the big belly and you can do things in the water I can no longer do on land. So wonderful. I would go all the time if I could. Sadly, only 4X a week.

Hope all is well with you all.

Trish
EDD 1/1/02
Old 11-05-2001, 05:58 PM   #7  

Hello everyone~~Thanks for the welcome~~
I started the prenatal vits in May when I got married, so my body really is used to them and they dont make me sick~~
I am a health nut--and have been at goal weight for over a year now..I also have suffered from an eating disorder in the past soo I am very careful about eating healthy and eating enough..I try to walk 5miles/daily and decided to not run anymore. I am too scared to do weights. This is my first baby and probably the only baby soo I am doing this right~~~ Cant wait to get to know everyone!!!
Vicki

Last edited by RoadRunner; 11-05-2001 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #8  
A new Mom

I'm so excited!... I'm off to the ultrasound... video tape in hand. our first home movie of the baby!

I dreamed last night that everytime they moved the wand thingy they found another baby.... hopefully that won't come true... as much of a blessing as babies are I don't want to have 7 at once!

I hope everyone else is feeling well and doing well.

Lara
Old 11-06-2001, 05:06 PM   #9  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Lara: let us know how the ultrasound went. I don't have a video of ours, but tons of pictures. Very fun.

RR: I was worried about weight too. I now use small (really small) hand weights when I walk and do some bicepts and tricepts and some back and sholder stuff, but not too much. Also, don't do ab work after the third month or so. You don't want the muscles to be too tight or something. Anyway, I am sure you will do fine with the weight and all. I have found that even though I am gaining weight, it does not look at all like being heavy. It is very different.

TRish
Old 11-06-2001, 08:41 PM   #10  
A new Mom

Ok I'm back... haven't watched the video yet but it sure was wonderful to see it on the monitor in the exam room.

They will only commit to being 80% positive it's a .......

GIRL!!

The best part though is that it seems to be totally healthy. The place I went specializes in high risk and problem pregnancy. So the Dr was very thorough, both in looking for abnormalities and in letting us know what we were seeing. This u/s put us at 2 days ahead of what our original due date was but he said to just stick with the 23rd of March and not change it.

We are thrilled that the baby is healthy, and will definitely be picking out girls names, although with that 20% chance we are still going to think about at least one boys name. We really didn't have any prefference as to the sex, and in fact we were a little surprised as everyone has been telling us it would be a boy because of the heart rate.

We only got one picture and even that didn't turn out very well, I was very glad we had taken a video tape with us.

I hope everyone else had a good day too.

Lara

Old 11-07-2001, 05:51 AM   #11  

How exciting to actually see the baby!!!!I can't wait~~~~
RR
Old 11-07-2001, 03:56 PM   #12  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Congrats on the girl Lara. It is fun to know I think. I was unsure if we should find out, but I really like knowing now. It makes it seem very real to me. Glad all is well.

Hello RR.

Not much new here. just excited to be near the end. I signed hubby and i up for a how to care for a baby class. It should be good. Between that and the Baby Birth class and the breastfeeding class, hubby will be all baby class out. But it is good for him and I really need the info.

Trish
Old 11-09-2001, 04:14 PM   #13  
A new Mom

Hi all;

Just a Friday afternoon check in, nothing new to share except that I am now most definitely feeling movement. There's no question about that anymore.

RR: It is really amazing to see the baby on the ultrasound. For me it was so moving I cried tears of joy. I was very glad to have Brad there with me. It's this little living being that the two of you made, I really think it creates a special bond between you seeing the baby there on the screen. Especially when it's too soon for anyone else to be able to see or feel the effects of this new life.

Trish: The count down certainly is nearing for you isn't it... that must be so exciting! I know I'm certainly looking forward to meeting this little one!

Ann: Let us know how the fasting glucose test went. I hope it wasn't too horrible for you. Is the little guy more active lately?

Tamara: I hope you are doing alright... we haven't heard from you yet this month. I hope that only means you are busy with the children you have and not that you aren't well.

I hope I didn't miss anyone... Any other pregnant chicks out there please feel free to join our group! We all need to give and get support throughout this important and exciting time in our lives.

Lara

Old 11-09-2001, 04:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 320/210/180

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Hello all,

Boy I have been having a bugger of a month. Between Migrains and the flu I have not had a full weeks work in yet. Hopefully next week is better. I seem to be missing one day a week. The baby sure is moving around in the mornings and the early afternoon. Evening it's pretty calm. I hope that means it will be a night baby and sleep all night lol Well I don't have my next appointment until Dec 6 and then the week afterwards he will schedule me for a ultrasound. That way we can see what the sex is. But as I see from Laura there she is just as far along as me so I could have had it this last month like I wanted to. The doctor told me it was to early to see (I know this is not true since I was able to see what my son was about now.) I figured I would let him schedule it when he wanted to. I will definatly know before x-mas what it is. Unless the baby is shy and won't show.

Welcome RR hope everything goes good for you.

Lara a girl cool. Everyone in my family thinks that is what I am having with the heartbeat so low (145).

Trish you can never have to many baby classes trust me. I wished I would have taken more. I want to send my to little ones through the I'm a big brother/big sister program. I think it would be good for them to learn more about the baby. They teach them how to hold the baby and what is good play and bad play for a baby. It teaches them so much but we will have to see how things go.

Well better go I have to pick up my SIL from work and take her home. Her boyfriend is out deer hunting today.

Take care all.
Tamara
Old 11-10-2001, 09:53 AM   #15  

Where have I been???????? I definately won't be MIA this long again! Its been crazy here, between my husbands travel schedule, a sick 4 yr old, a flu that went flying through the house, and life in general I feel like I can barely keep my head above water!

Its weird, since I've had the u/s to check on the movement the baby started moving like crazy. I had my repeat 3 hr glucose test on Friday. It wasn't bad at all. Just really boring sitting there for 3 hrs. I passed all 4 blood draws w/ flying colors. I'm glad as I really wasn't crazy about following a special diet or needle sticks. But it did make me aware of how high the sugar content is in some of the foods I eat, so I've given up the nightly Captain Crunch fix. I did have the stomach flu this past week and let me tell you that it is absolutely **** being sick while pregnant. My stomach was hurting, turning, aching and baby is kicking around. Then trying to hurl in the right spot w/ a basketball in the front doesn't help. I did have to force myself to drink constantly as I started having tons of braxton-hicks due to dehydration. But I'm better now! I have my next appt this coming Tuesday, then my 4 yr old and I leave for FL on Weds for a bit.

Lara - How exciting for a little girl!!! I think w/ my daughter they gave us 80% as well. Did they see a 'hamburger stack'? Thats what a lot of OB's refer to viewing girl parts via u/s. Isn't feeling movement exciting!!! It makes it seem all so real!

RoadRunner - Welcome and congrats !!! I never had any type of morning sickness, so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. I know the weight gain thing can be really scary! W/ my daughter I gained a whopping 52 lbs and she was 6 wks early. So I probably would have ended up w/ a 60 lbs gain. With this pregnancy I've been monitoring my daily calories, just like I did before I was pregnant and I added calories to compensate for being prego and exercising. To date I've gained 19 lbs which horrifies me looking at the numbers, but according to my pregnancy book I should be between 19-25 lbs now. So I guess I'm ok. My OB said my weight has been fine. I have kept up w/ my exercise but have taken it down a notch. I mainly use ellicptical machine and I still use my FIRM tapes, just the 'basic' ones and I've lighten my weights considerably.

Trish-You really don't have a lot of time left!!! You must be getting excited! I've debated about taking a refresher class. I don't think I will. All I know is I want my epidural early. Period. I'm hopeful as I'm more active this pregnancy my labor will be a bit easier. I've checked around here and we don't have a prenatal exercise classes. And the water classes have mainly seinors citizens so I've skipped that!

I think I've said enough and hope I didn't miss anything!

Ann
EDD 1/27/02
Closed Thread