South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Help-SBD NOT working!!

I am incredibly frustrated right now, and don't know what to do. Last year I went on SBD for three solid months and lost 30 lbs. I also worked out 5 times a week..this was all in preparation for my wedding. But after my wedding, I stopped working out and half-did the diet. So now 25 pounds later, I started the SBD again.

I started one month ago this week. The first 2 weeks I lost NOTHING. (My husband who ate exactly what I did lost 8 lbs in week one and gained one pound in week 2). I chalked it up o oncoming Flo, and in week three I lost three pounds. But then came week four, I weighed in yesterday and had actually gained 2 lbs!!! I have been workin out 5 times a week, and since I staarted this diet I have been bloated everyday-to an uncomfortable point, I was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago, but it was under control until recently. Not sure if this diet is causing all the excess bloating or what. But I am very depressed, and can' figure out why this exact diet helped me lose 30 lbs last year but refuses to help me now!

I have been very strict about the diet, only twice in the whole month did I cheat-once for Passover and once for Cinco de Mayo (had 4 light beers).
When started phase 2 2 weeks ago, I have introduced very small amounts of carbs-maybe one dinner a week, and one night a week we'll have sweet potatoes. The rest, phase 1. I did have some oatmeal a couple of times, and my husband had fruit (one a day). He also has stopped losng weight, although he does not have IBS or bloating.

Does anyone know how to help? Should I change diets and do something else? I am feeling depressed and feel like this whole month was for nothing. I was positive for awhile until I actually gained 2 pounds this week-I just don't see how working out and eating right can ever cause a person to gain weight. What's wrong wth me ? Why am I so bloated all the time????
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #2  

Hi,
I was in a similar situation. I have always done WW, but the week before my wedding in the (fall 05) i wanted to lose like 3 more lbs, so i went on SBD and lost that and more. After the wedding my weight yo yoed and i would go for a week eating really bad, then go on phase 1 for a week, repeat. sometimes it would be 2 bad weeks then phase 1 to get back in check. Well my hubby and i went on a trip to Jamaica and ate and drank alot so i gained several lbs. THen i went on SBD no cheating when we got back and nothing. I have chalked it up to the fact that too much yo yo dieting has screwed my metabolism up. Have you been a yo yoer? I am now back on WW and am working out religiously (didnt before) and it is coming off slowly (i think, am waiting a few weeks to weight myself). But i understand your frustration. How old are you, i am 27 and also think mine could have something to do with body changes as a resule of just getting older bc the weight is also settling in different places. Also when you first start a work out routine, you body tends to retain more water in your muscels, another reason i am waiting a few weeks to wiegh myself. I dont know if this helped at all, but i completely understand your frustration. Hang in there and think of all the great things you are doing for your body even if the weight isnt coming off. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #3  

Thanks for the advice, I am 28 yrs old, and last year was the first time I tried to lose weight, I have been up and down over the years, but I never weighed myself, and went on short fad diets, so I guess I was kind of a yo yo-er. It was just so easy last year.

Do you think I should try something other than SBD? I was thinking about trying the BIggest Loser diet...I just wish there was a way not to "diet" but to just know how to always eat right. I feel like I need a nutrionist, but there are so many theories about how to eat right that it gets very frustrating....
Thanks for your words of encouragment. After I wrote the post I went to the gym to weigh myself and I was down the 2 lbs I was up yesterday. So I am now back to having only lost 3 lbs in a month. I guess it's better than gaining....I think I do have serious water weight issues. Any ideas on how to stop that??
Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

No worries, sometimes it just helps to be able to talk to someone who has been there, you know. As for what kind of diet you should be on, that depends on what you think you can maintain. I quit SBD bc i didnt think i could maintain that lifestyle, i do WW bc there is more flexibility in what i can eat, but it is similar to SBD in many ways. I eats lots of veggies, lean protien, whole grain breads, fruit. But i can treat myself to something every now and again too, so i like that. That is up to you, if you dont think you can eat SBD for ever, i would try to find something else that works for you. I know what you mean about the weight coming off before the wedding, it did for me too, but i think mine was also partially the stress and anxiety of last minute wedding details! My advice would be to work out, and find a healthy eating plan that works for you. As for water wieght, i hate it, i have the same problem, they say drinking lots of water, helps. But i never noticed any difference. I cut out diet soda bc it has lots of sodium and i think that was causing me to retain alot of water and i think that has helped (just started doing it). Good luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #5  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I have really bad bloating problems too. Sometimes it comes at the normal TOM and other times it just pops up for no reason. I can be good and not lose or gain and then I get discouraged and everything goes downhill from there. I don't think it could be the SBD because despite the word "diet" in the name, it is simply a safe healthy eating plan. I know that water and the way our bodies hold on to it is weird and is different with everyone. When you burn fat you actually create water from the breakdown of the fat molecules. So if for some reason or another your body is retaining water it could be masking the fat loss and the scale won't show a difference.I've thought about asking for a dieuretic from the doctor but am really against taking any kind of artificial drugs unless its an emergency so I haven't yet. The only thing that has worked for me is to drink a ton of water and watch my salt. NO prepared foods or eating out as even if it's helathy its loaded with salt. I also use Morton's lite salt which has 50% sodium 50% potassium. It tastes like regular salt. Of course, check with your doctor on the potassium of you have any kind of medical condition. Hope this helped a little. Hang in there is all I can say.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

This is just my opinion and my private little soapbox we need to get out of the 'go on a diet' mentality. We need to permantly change our eating habits to lose the weight. It's not a diet to go on or off. We need to stay on all the time with some modifications after we hit goal. Chose a way of eating that you can maintain for the rest of your life. (bowing and stepping off my soapbox so some one else can use it.)

My suggestion would be to go on Fitday.com, enter what you've been eating and see how many calories you are taking in.

A couple problem areas that I have are chosing more foods that are higher calorie, even if they are on the foods to enjoy list and eating until full instead of eating until no longer hungry.

See also this post:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63320

Sarah
Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I've also noticed that it doesn't matter how strict I am with my food, if I don't drink at LEAST drink 64 oz of water. You may already be doing this, but I didn't think I read your water intake anywhere.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for all your help-I think I do need to work on drinking more water-although I never notice a difference-but maybe I just need to give it a chance. I usually drink 1 16 oz water before lunch, 1 16 oz at lunch with crystal lite to go, one 16 oz after lunch and then a big 32 oz water during my workout...I don't do this everyday-but during the week it's easier to follow when I am at work.

Sarahyu-I agree with the mentality of "not being on a diet" my probelm is that there are so many theories about what is "right" that it's difficult to know what to eat on a daily basis. For example, while I do have excess bloating and IBS, I also get really low blodd sugar so I have to make sure I regulate at all times, but all the grains and veggies you are supposed to eat to regualte cause me to bloat, but if I don't my blood sugar will crash! It's a dilemma, and I need to see a doctor for sue. I just don't know what doctor to see!

I am going to keep working out and try to find a new "way to eat" because I don't think SBD is good for IBS. Thanks again everyone! (Wish there was a magic pill to make the weight drop!!!)
Closed Thread