General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default Trying to Beautify--Need Makeup Suggestions!

I ADORE makeup first off and love to try new things. I usually just use Walmart or Walgreens brands but I need some suggestions on great products. My skin is super oily and by the end of the day my makeup just kinda slides off. I want a foundation that looks and feels natural and was wondering if anyone had tried any of the anti aging foundations. I'm 29 and don't have wrinkles yet. For eyeshadow I am looking for something that stays on. I get that annoying crease in the middle of my eyelids...I guess from the oily skin. Also, are there any waterproof mascaras and eyeliners out there that don't make your lashes feel and look clumpy?

I would love any suggestions on any brands!

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Cheap make up is the WORST but the good stuff is ridiculously expensive....I love lancome' mascara and I think lancome eyeshadow for stuff that doesn't crease..... I'll check the brand later right now I"m on my way out. Sorry I don't know any anti aging foundations, I'm not "there yet" though I prolly should be getting a head start! But ILOVE my maybeline matte' whipped foundation, it's awesome.... needs set with a powder to help it 'stay' but it's a heavier coverage which I like, otherwise my skin is too pink....
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #3  
I restore Teeth.

LANCOME isnt as expensive as those european, high scale department store brands but its the BEST bang for your buck. Lancome is definitely a brand that's no fail. I can recommend other brands like bobbi brown or shu uemura (high scale japanese brand) and a few others. I know few members on 3FC enjoy using Bare Escentuals Mineral makeup.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I actually used to work for Lancôme, and I absolutely LOVE their products!

They really do have the *best* mascara in the world. If you want a waterproof one, try the Hypnose WP. It's amazing stuff--you're lashes WILL NOT move all day. But I have to warn you--it's hard to get off. I finally got fed up with the not-being-able-to-get-it-off and went back to the regular Hypnose. But then again, I don't really need waterproof for anything (most people don't, they just like the versatility). I have the same problem with oily eyelids though, and most mascaras flake off almost immediately. Not Hypnose. It's wonderful stuff. Movie star lashes, really.

As for eyeshadow that doesn't crease (I have the same problem), I love Lancôme's ColorDose. It's a waterproof cream that comes in a variety of colors which you can wear alone or under any other eye shadow and it will make it say put. Most days I wear the beige-colored one (Montego Beige) and wear whatever eye shadow I want over top of it (even cheap eye shadow works better and stays put when over a good base). There are also uncolored eye shadow bases on the market that are wonderful, like Lancôme's Aquatique. It's a little dryer--and therefore harder to work with--than the ColorDose, but it has the additional benefit of making your color show up better.

If you decide to use any form of cream eye shadow or base, I highly recommend using a camoflauge or concealer brush to apply it. Actually, I recommend using a decent brush for applying every type of makeup, from concealer to foundation to shadow to lipstick. Brushes 1. use less makeup so it lasts longer, 2. apply makeup more smoothly and evenly so it looks better and wears better, and 3. if properly cared for (wash them out with your regular face cleanser and warm water, then stand bristle-up in a cup to dry) are more hygenic than using your fingers or those icky little applicators that come with your makeup.

As for anti-aging foundations, you'll have to be careful. Typically anti-aging formulas have oil or other added moisturizers to counteract dryness (your skin gets dryer as you age), and so would be the wrong choice for your oily skin. And makeup made for oilier skin is usually not only drying, but thick and cakey.

My overall recommendation to you (and this goes for any department store brand, not just Lancôme) is to go to your local department store and 1. have them give you a makeover (they will expect you to buy something, so be prepared to spend at least $25), or 2. tell them someone recommended such and such a product to you and that you would like a sample so you can try it for a few days before buying. They WILL give you a sample--if they don't they're just plain rude and not very good at their job so you should go to another counter. They will even recommend a foundation for you and match you up with the right color.

It's hard to find just the right makeup, especially foundation, so ask for samples of different products and different brands until you find your perfect match. But better quality products ARE worth the extra money, because they look and feel better, last longer, and don't clog or harm your skin. Lancôme foundation will run you about $30-35, the shadow bases are I think $17-20, and the mascara is around $22.

If you have any other concerns or questions, I'd be happy to offer my two cents. I could talk about makeup all day (obviously)!

Hope this helps!
~Elisha
Old 05-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Mary Kay products are pretty good, although I really dislike MLM's. (I sold the product for a grand total of four months, and found the only way you can REALLY earn that pink Caddy is to have a slew of people working under you...but I digress...) The product I really love is the eye primer--it keeps your shadow from creasing. I also have used their oil mattifier as well. I am phasing out of MK and looking for a new cosmetic brand. I'm considering Bobbi Brown, but I may have to mortgage my house to do it!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I can't recommend specific products, but the brands I love are Mac and BeneFit.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I can't recommend specific products, but the brands I love are Mac and BeneFit.
I second that...I love both of these brands. I also like Origins a lot. A cheap mascara that I really like is Neutrogena weightless volume.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #8  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

For your oily skin maybe you can try a dual foundation.Chanel's is fabulous! Its a compact that can be used as a liquid or powder with good coverage. Just add H20 or don't. Drug stores carry several....Not to be confused with creme to powder! I can't stand that stufff....causes major creasing.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I like Cover Girl. It is cheap and it does what a want. Sure after 8 hours or so my eye shadow gets a bit of a crease in it, but who cares. I have tried other brands and never just been happy with them. The cover up I use is the True Blend (cream and powder) it matches my skin well and stays on all day. I always just buy the 4$ mascara and haven't had problems with it.

I guess if I spent more money I would be happier with it, but IMO I don't need to spend 15$ on a good tube of mascara... I have in the past and it all seemed the same to me! haha

As for oily skin I have the same problem so I used Neutrogena Oil Free moisturizer for my face - I love it
Old 05-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #10  
We're TTC!!

WOW! Thanks everyone for such awesome makeup advice. I have never bought the department store makeup before, but I really intrigued now. I can easily spend $50-$60 at Walmart and am never quite happy, so I really should put that money into some better quality products. As for the anti-aging foundation I never really thought of how that would work against my skin. Especially since I don't have wrinkles yet, it would be best to stick to the oil-free stuff.

I have seen the Mary Kay eye primer, glad to see that it works. I will look into that as well as the Lancome products.

Thank you again for the tips, recommendations, and suggestions! You all so helpful and great!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #11  
ugggg.....

My daughter is sold on Avon products.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #12  
We're TTC!!

My always used Avon, too. I think she may have quit using it b/c she hated the representative...LOL.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I like Cover Girl. It is cheap and it does what a want. Sure after 8 hours or so my eye shadow gets a bit of a crease in it, but who cares. I have tried other brands and never just been happy with them. The cover up I use is the True Blend (cream and powder) it matches my skin well and stays on all day. I always just buy the 4$ mascara and haven't had problems with it.

I guess if I spent more money I would be happier with it, but IMO I don't need to spend 15$ on a good tube of mascara... I have in the past and it all seemed the same to me! haha

As for oily skin I have the same problem so I used Neutrogena Oil Free moisturizer for my face - I love it
Cover girl literally RUNS down my face after a few hours, I hate it!
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I have the same problem with the oil skin rebel! It drives me nuts. Even liquid eyeliner just kind of disappears after a couple hours. What I've been trying lately is the Biore shine free or shine control line (I can't remember exactly what it's called). It helps with my T-Zone but obviously not eye lids so I still don't know what to do with that. I tend to stick with Maybelline makeup because I'm cheap and I like it better then the other comparable brands like cover girl. Have you tried their new foundation? I forget what it's called (again!) but it's the one they say is made with water. It blends really easily and looks good but has fairly light coverage. Since it also has a powder it is very matte and lasts pretty long over my oil slick. Anyway that combination of the Biore and Maybelline has worked good for me. Still working on the eye thing...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Avon is what I use and I haven't had ANY complaints! My skin is not blotchy anymore and theres no breakouts. There mascara is good too, they have a new one that's a mousse and it's fantastic!
AVON ALL THE WAY BABY!! WOOHOO!
Closed Thread