Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Group Exercise Classes

I've been wanting to attend a class at my gym for awhile but I'm so NERVOUS!

I guess I have four main worries. 1) The descriptions on the gym website aren't very complete so I feel like I'm not prepared or I'm not sure what exactly the class will be. 2) I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up. I don't want to get like 10 minutes into the class and be all red faced and sweaty while everyone else is keeping up. 3) I'm pretty uncoordinated so I'm afraid I'll mess up choreography. 4) The dreaded "What if I'm the fattest person there?" fear. Which is very likely seeing as I'm usually one of the biggest people at my gym (stupid San Diego!). Any suggestions? I'm sure these are normal feelings for a first-timer but I'm just so darn scared! I keep talking myself out of going.

Thanks for the suggestions anyone.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 AM   #2  

Oh you sound just like me at Easter. I had some time off, and I decided to try some classes at my gym!

1. Ask at reception for a better description of the classes. At my gym all reception and training staff have to do classes, so someone will be able to tell you what it was like, or ask in the locker room if you feel comfortable. Or sign for the class, go early and have a chat to the instructor.

2. You've been exercising a while, you'll be fine! There will be people fitter than you, unfitter than you, and at your level. Most classes stop after each song for a drink and a rest! In my gym people walk out early all the time, or just have a rest to get their breath back.

3. The whole point of doing classes is to improve. I am forever going the wrong way in Body Combat, and Hip Hop dancing, but half the class seem to be uncoordinated, and sometimes our instructors think they are the ones doing it wrong I try and stand behind someone who looks like they know what they are doing, and copy them.

4. Prepare to be the fattest there. I am nearly always the fattest in class, but I am not the most unfit by a loooooooooonnng shot. I wer my funky addidas tank with a wee bit of lip gloss, and fake tan my upper body, and just smile my way through. No one will care that your the fattest, except you.

Go for it!!! Classes have really helped me get some variety and fun back into my workouts
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I've nothing much to add, except Just Do IT!!

Who cares if you're the biggest? Unco-ordinated? Red-faced? Everyone else will be worrying that THEY'RE the biggest, most unco-ordinated and red faced

For all the classes I've been to, I've never thought, "Ooooh she's so fat and unfit and sweaty - urgh" I'm too busy thinking about doing the moves right to worry about anything else! The time flies - promise!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #4  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Group classes are a no brainer...Soooooooo easy to get your time in, time flies when your having fun I do understand how initially you may be worried about them though.

I would suggest by what your fears are you start with a low impact class to get your confidence up. Yoga is great for this...they go slow, they explain all the moves, most of the time no one looks at anyone else because you are all looking at the instructor and any ability can do it.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Been wondering the same thing lately Stacey! I really wanna try the cardio kickbox class at my son's karate school, but I'm skeered...hehe. I live in a military town and while a majority of the Navy wives around here aren't in the best shape, we also have enlisted women (not many) here and most of em seem to be in good shape...

I think I'll get a kickboxing DVD and work my way up to a class....is this an option for you? Trying it at home for awhile till you're relatively comfortable with doing one before you venture out into public!

The karate school is even offering free classes to mom's all next week for Mother's Day and I just can't make myself take advantage of that!!!!

Sad how we let ourselves miss out on things cause of our weight!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

I am going to have to agree with superwoman- everyone else is just going to be worrying about themselves. that being said I am always the largest in all my classes and honestly that makes me stick to it that much harder. I have even come up with nicknames for some of the women in my classes (who are all amazing!) we have abs girl - who has the most amazing abs (think Janet Jackson/britney spears-pre sean preston days- and shakira rolled into one) then there is makeup girl (she wears makeup in class sweat rolling off her back but always stays amazingly coiffed) and superfit girl (the buffest girl in the class has the most intense shoulders!) Also, I try to stand some where in the middle to back of the room and next to a few people that look like they know what they are doing -that way when I get lost I know I can look to them if I can see the trainer. Give it a shot - it definitely makes time fly!
crownshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #7  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I totally back up what kykaree and tofrus said. I love the energy that happens at group classes. I mess up all the time, and just laugh it off. No one seems to get it perfect everytime. Its not that big of a deal. I also know that people leave classes all the time for various reasons. Also not a big deal, unless you're the one leaving early cuz the daycare came and got ya to clean a stinky mess your kid left! I'd like to think nobody pays close attention to how people look during gym time. Sure I notice super buff arms and legs cuz I want to improve my own, but I'm so proud of EVERYone there cuz we're all working to better our lives. I've been pretty big-sometimes biggest in class-and very small but have NEVER had anyone make nasty comments. Hopefully I'm not the only one who has such good experiences in the gym. I hope you give it a try. The first time we do ANYTHING its scary to an extent. Put yourself out there and I think you'll be suprised what a good time you have.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #8  

I think you have to pick classes that you really would enjoy then you don't have some of those worries you are talking about. I am truly uncoordinated so I really don't do dancy routines because I don't want to sweat and really have not accomplished anything. I stick with classes like Powerflex (weight training class where each song is a different muscle group and you pick your dumbells and set up your own bar) Yoga, Kickboxing, and Ball classes. Its not too hard to be the fattest person at the gym these days but you are there to lose weight and improve yourself so it doesn't matter.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

It's weird how even though I know the stuff you guys are saying is true I'm still scared. I guess it's just something I have to DO as 2frustrated so kindly said

Ok, another question. Do any of you belong to 24 Hour Fitness? Just wondering so I could pump you all for some info on their classes.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

Default Trial by fire

I had to share this with everyone since we were talking about it on thursday. I went to my gym for a new body ball class that i had seen a couple of times and was inspired to try out last night. For the first 10 minutes I WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE. me and the instructor- it was like having my very own personal trainer- it was embarassing at first because I would keep falling off of the ball and we would both laugh but she was a huge help! then so others trickled in. the gym is in my building so the classes are never huge but can be packed with 22 people (for the bosu, kickboxing, and pilates classes) but we ended up with 3 last night. I am so glad i stayed. ofcourse i am sore today.
crownshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

Crown,

that actually sounds like it would be alot more fun than a full, formal class! With less you'd probably be more inclined to relax...or I know I would! I do much better with just a few than a larger group...I get too nervous!

Glad to hear you had a good time, and got that burn! That's what I love about a good workout! That after effect that lets you know you worked out!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote