Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #1  
Queen of Chaos!

Default Question for Hypothyroid sufferers(?)

I've been on thyroxine for 3 weeks now, should I start to feel better soon? I know everone's different, but I don't think I feel any difference - or is it so gradual you don't notice it straight away?
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #2  
Meg

Here's a for you - hope you feel better soon!

It took a few months for me to feel better once I started on Synthroid and it was very gradual, like you suspected. My doctor started me on the lowest possible dose - I think it was 25 mcg - and checked my TSH after six weeks. Then she adjusted the dose and repeated the TSH in six weeks, etc. etc. until we finally hit on the right dose. I think the whole process took about six months due to the six week wait between blood tests.

I was lucky and didn't have a lot of symptoms before I was diagnosed so I didn't notice a dramatic change, even after my Synthroid dose was stabilized. But getting my TSH in the right range did allow me to lose the weight, which was what I wanted!

Good luck! You're on the right path and hopefully you'll be feeling a little better every day.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 AM   #3  
Queen of Chaos!

Thanks for that, it was really useful!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 AM   #4  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

Unfortunately, living with thyroid disease for the past 15 years and having to learn all that I have, the most valuable lesson ( and the hardest ) has been patience!

Most medication adjustments take between 6-8 weeks, hence the reason for the lag between bloodtests. At my sickest, 6 days seemed a lifetime, 6 weeks seemed insurmountable. But it's worth the wait as jumping between doses too soon only prolongs feeling well. It takes that long for the body to adjust.

Stick it out. Retake the bloodwork then. Hopefully you will soon be just tweaking your doses to optimize your symptoms.

Susan
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #5  
Queen of Chaos!

Thanks, I go for more bloods in a couple of weeks. I suppose time will tell!!