UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Slimming World

A friend of mine has been asking me to attend some meetings with her. She's had about the same amount of success with SW as I've had with Sonoma on my own. We've each lost about 1 stone. However, I do feel my motivation flagging and wonder if the SW meetings and accountability weigh-ins would be enough to remotivate me? Has anyone here ever attended? What did you think? It doesn't seem all that expensive. My friend paid a one time £5 for the book (whatever "the book" is) and then pays just £4.25 a week per meeting. As my husband said to me "well, how much did you spend on fish n chips for lunch today?"

I really love the Sonoma way of eating (which does NOT include the chippy) and I am curious as to whether you can implement Sonoma-styled foods into the SW program. I don't see why not. It's all about healthy food and Mediterrannean recipes (which is what Sonoma basically is) are about as healthy as you can get.

Embarrassingly enough, one of the things stopping me is that weigh-ins are in the evening and I always weigh myself in the morning, totally nekkid! So I know the SW scale will add some to what I consider myself! I'm such a dork.

Anyway, I might go to at least one meeting just to see how it goes. There's one tonight in fact.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'd go!

My mum is doing SW and is having success with it. What doesn't kill you does you good, no? Try it out, and only compare your SW weight with your SW weight, and not your nekkid-in-the-morning weight with your fully-clothed-after-dinner weight

From what I've heard of Sonoma, it would be easy to incorporate into SW, so that should be ok, they're both healthy eating as you say. You could even just follow your Sonoma and go to SW to give you some accountability and get weighed.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #3  

im doing slimming world - 5 weeks and ive lost 24lb!.. love it better than WW IMHO.....
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #4  

I weighed so much more than I thought when I first joined sw at night. I lost 3 stone on sw but I stopped following it and didn't lose so I stopped going! Big mistake, have put it all back on now. Same as most plans good if you stick to it (or at least don't totally abandond all forms of healthy eating when you get a bit bored like me).
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

My friends mum and sister both lost loads in Slimming World. I'm thinking about joining myself for extra support. Weightwatchers is probably not the thing for me, I am sick of the points system. I put on about 8kg in the last two months, just want to get rid of them, and the additional 10kg I put on as a result of doing the Mars bar diet...
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #6  

thats what i found san... like if u went out i was never sure what i could eat really... like now if im on orginal or green i know i can have unlimited X and a little of X .... n if there is a sauce etc then i get em to put it on the side so i can have a little..
Old 05-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

Cool Lou, I will look at where there is a Slimming World close to me. It is an incredibly fantastic achievement that you have lost 24 pounds!!! Congrats! Also a very close relative of mine works at WW, and it would be so weird having to have that close of a connection in such a private thing as losing weight. I've counted points with just the WW literature for I don't know how long, it just gets boring, or I don't quite know how to put it best, perhaps tedious or yaaawn, how complicated would sum it up. Good luck with losing those 4 pounds!! It wont be long now!!! xxx
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #8  

i hope so !...
i want to be @ my 10% loss (2lb) before my gf's b'day.. next week eeek.. so better be goo this week!!!>.. lol...

yup.. i know waht u mean i did WW for a long time.. lost about 3.5 stone all back on + a bit... eek... but i did find i would eat rubbish and use up all my points... rather than proper dinner.. lol...
now.. the syn value of some things are much higher than ww points.. but it means i eat proper + loads of fruit.. (as its free.. unless juiced/ puree/ mashed etc)
all good...

pm me if u wanna know more!..
lx
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #9  

I prefer SW. Although I am being naughty at the moment I hae lost some one it. I hated WW and got headaches all the time.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #10  

I liked SW but found the plan boring after a while I think its because I get less choice with cooking here. If you have plenty of opps to cook you'll wonder how you can eat so much and still lose a massive amount. Its good stuff.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #11  
Denise-gotta reach target

S/C/G: 237/209/140

Height: 5ft 5.2

i go to slimming world
and when i joined lastt year-jan- i lost 4 st up til last july!
then i went off the rails a bit-dertain problems etc- and had put 2 stone back on
BUT i am back on with Sw properly again and am heading for that 2 stone to be lost again and another 2.5 stone too!
feeling determined to get to my target this time- and in the past 3 weeks have lost 9 lbs

i think its a real good plan/diet and there are loads of ways/recipes(some real easy) to make it interesting more + you never need to feel hungry either

out of all the diets i have done Sw comes tops for me- very little weighing measuring and no need to count calories/points
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #12  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Well, I did it. I joined Slimming World. I went to the meeting last night and I really liked everyone there. The consultant for the class was a bit scattered and unorganized but she was funny and supportive and very caring. The only problem I have with this "diet plan" is that oats are not considered a free food so I have to use up one of my healthy extras from Group B to have it for breakfast. I don't mind using the skim milk it takes as a healthy extra from Group A, though and I definitely take a Syn point for the teaspoon of sugar. But back to the oats - I mean, they're like the perfect food. Low in fat, low in calories, a slow-releasing carb that keeps you feeling full for longer, high in fiber, a source of protein, lots of vitamins and minerals. You'd think they'd be a free food on Green, at least the kind you have to actually cook, not the instant varieties. Oh well. Other than that, I'm cool with the whole thing. And lots of people there were having amazing success. I'd say the majority of the women there had lost anywhere from 1/2 a pound to 3 pounds since last week. Oh lord, I am sooo competetive! Not really against others but against myself so this really may be just the right thing for me. I even had a dream last night that I was in a horse race and someone got ahead of me on the inside and I was like NO WAY, I AM GOING TO WIN and willed my horse to pull ahead, which he did. Somebody said Yeah for the American girl (I swear, I am not making this up!). I asked my husband this morning what he thought it meant (I already knew) and he was like duh, that's totally obvious. Maybe that's why I had to have the oats for breakfast this morning!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #13  

yup.. im supprised @ some things... u could have them as a syn if it works out better than using them as a "B" ... ive taken to having a HUGE bowl of fruit 4 b'fast.. n if im still hungary... poached egg yummy...

think it takes a while to get into it.. any questions let me know!.. good luck!
lou x
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #14  

Being competitive at slimming world is dangerous from my lofty 3 and a half stone lost perch I used to snigger at people who had 'only' ever lost 10 pounds. I'm sure they've had a good laugh at me when I came back with it all piled back on.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #15  

I used to want the smack the 'skinny' ones in the queue but guess they may have had a long struggle and for some people being 3lb over bothers them. If only that was my problem you know "I would be amazing if I could only get rid of this 1lb!!!)." I have at least 4 stone to lose and ideally 5.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote