Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/220/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Now What?

Okay,
I can't seem to stick on a low carb diet for very long because I want the food
that's off limits. So, I switched back to Weight watchers core plan and I
gained 2 pounds! And, to top it off, I'm craving ( and I mean saliving)
porterhouse steaks!! I really want to go back on the low carb but I seem to
always want an apple or some crackers or some other off limits food.

I'm getting worried because it's may and I don't want to still be in my size 12's for the summer. Even thought I am 2 sizes smaller than I was last year this time.

catcookie
View Public Profile
Send a private message to catcookie
Find More Posts by catcookie
Add catcookie to Your Buddy List
catcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #2  
Susan hockeyfan7

How long did you stay on Atkins? And when you followed the program, did you eat a lot or did you try to cut back?

I know when I first started, I was constantly eating. I ate about every 90 minutes I think. After about a month or two, I was able to cut back and not crave things so much. But it did take me a while.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #3  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I eat a high carb, low fat diet which doesn't get blown away if I take a day off, which I do one day a week. This way, I can enjoy the weekend with DH, or if I have a special event, I know I can relax and enjoy it and still return, guilt-free, to my meal plan. This allows me to keep the cravings at bay, knowing that I can satisfy them on my special day.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #4  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Catcookie-I just did the same thing-I switched from Atkin's to calorie counting, and gained 3 lbs. And like you, at first I liked the variety, but wanted my bacon, cheese, and burgers. I quit Atkins for different reasons than cravings. I just got back on the plan, and as of day 3 I have already lost the weight I gained back. You can't beat Atkins for the speedy weight loss! They do make low-carb crackers, just try to keep everything in your count. I wanted an apple, too, and some low-cal chips, but they weren't all that once I ate them anyway. Go figure! I guess it's all about the "diet" mentality, whatever you're not supposed to have, that's exactly what you'll want. Whatever you decide to do, just stay strong and stick with it. If you decide for that to be Atkin's, whenever you crave an off-limit food, eat something high protein and do something that will take your mind off of it (like come to this site for some inspiration!). Be creative-I've found lots of options that let me give in and still be good too, like a sugar free pudding pack w/ only 5 grams of carbs for my chocolate cravings. You're not alone! I read posts here all the time about people who have been successful at losing weight, but no one is made of steel-we all have bad days, and cravings, and we all give in every now and then. Good luck!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think Atkins really does take the lbs. off. I do allow myself some extra fruit and have done this all along. Sometimes a piece of fruit diminishes my craving for other foods that would be much worse for me. I enjoy the nice steaks and have always liked to have a lot of protein. I love my salads and veggies too and this is where I get most of my carbs. I can live without the bread and sweets are a rare treat on a holiday or such. I always lived with the rule that almost anything tastes good with cheese on it. For me, this is just the way to go. Just do some soul-searching and see what plan fits best with your life. Good luck.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #6  

Thanks for your input, guys.
I do feel so much better when I'm eating low carb and I seem to lose where I
need to the most (tummy,hips,thighs)and when I did go back to w.w. I was
craving high-fat low carb foods so I think my body is telling me to switchback
and stay that way. The only issue is that I want from time to time to be able
to have a slice of bread or a piece of fruit and not worry about not being in ketosis.

And hockeyfan, I was on atkins for 2 months and dropped 2 sizes but listened
to my "friends" who said atkins is dangerous so I went back to weight watchers and watched my weight creep back up.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/238/150

Have you ever thought of the CALP diet. Its similiar to Atkins but it allows you to have a well balanced meal which includes carbs once a day. I have done both Atkins and the CALP and while I like both of them right now I am doing the CALP since I have a problem giving up carbs for longer then a week.
zephyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Angry Atkins Dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcookie
but listened
to my "friends" who said atkins is dangerous so I went back to weight watchers and watched my weight creep back up.
Hi Catcookie!
When people tell you "Atkins is dangerous" or "Atkins is unhealthy"...that mainly comes from lack of information. Most of the people making those statements have never read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. They heard that Atkins is all about eating large quanities of red meat, bacon, butter & eggs. They mean well but...they are uneducated in the Atkins way of life. I tell them to read the book, then we'll talk.

All the best to you!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #9  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I also read an interesting book called The Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program by the Heller physicians. It is mentioned in doctor Atkin's book as an alternative "Hellering" once most of your weight is lost. It allows for one balanced meal a day, including whatever carbs you choose, just in exactly equal parts with a protein and certain type of veggie and salad. You basically follow Atkin's for the other meals and snacks. You are still supposed to be able to lose weight fairly rapidly on this program, and it has lots more options. I chose not to do it because I don't have a "veggie tooth" , and it only works in the right combination. Interesting read, anyway.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

catcookie: I have had your same problem in the past. I went from Atkins to weight watchers (a long platuea) and found myself just craving so much junk. I ate much less on Atkins because my appetite was more in control. By the end of a day of weight watchers I really could have chewed the doors of the fridge.
As you progress through Atkins induction and into OWL so many food choices are opened back up. The rungs of Owl include more veggies, nuts, dairy, alcohol, berries and other fruits (including apples) and then whole wheat breads and root veggies. A really healthy well balanced plan, but the key is to stay below your carbohyrate limit to continue losing.
Some days I eat more induction style, some more OWL. I really can't sit and count every carb cause that would drive me crazy. And occasionally I take a day off and eat sweets. I eat good quality homemade sweets though. I know I will ea tthem just not everyday or even every week anymore.
And some days are higher in fat than others. I really like chicken breast for lunch and a heavier meat for dinner. Cuts down on nighttime cravings which are my problem.
Just do what works best for you. Whatever you choose in order to keep the weight off you have to stay with it.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #11  

Thanks so much, you guys rock!

Rebeleagle1965, I think I saw the CALP at the library so I'll take a walk
on my lunch hour and see if it's still there. thanks for the info.