Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Romaine Lettuce

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Ewwwwwwwwww!

There's just something about the texture of this stuff I don't like. The frilly leaves surrounding a hard chunk of rib.

I'll admit it, I'm an iceberg lettuce junkie. But I boost the nutrient value of my salads by adding in fresh baby spinach. I love fresh spinach. In fact yesterday I had a huge salad for lunch made with nothing except spinach. I make a wonderful spinach salad with sliced fresh carrot, crumbled turkey bacon, thin-sliced onion (I prefer red or sweet onions) fresh mushrooms if I have them on hand and sprinkled with one or two tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese. Sometimes I eat it without dressing or sometimes I drizzle on a little of the Light Vidalia Onion.

Yummy!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #2  
Hoping for Healthy

I think this is healthy and a great alternative to iceberg lettuce. I really like this in Caesar salad, yum...
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #3  
LLV

I can tolerate it in caesar salad, for some reason. But I never buy it myself.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #4  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Oh I like Romaine lettuce...more so then iceburg lettuce. I find Iceburg has no flavor except water....romaine has a different flavor to it. I love it on burgers and in wraps, salads...I also find that it is a sturdier lettuce, and doesn't wilt nearly as fast as iceburg lettuce.
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey
Oh I like Romaine lettuce...more so then iceburg lettuce. I find Iceburg has no flavor except water..
As weird as this is going to sound, that's why I like it. I don't like lettuces and greens that have a strong taste.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I have always hated iceberg because it is so bland. I don't like salad dressing so my greens have to have a flavor. Spinach is also a great salad booster.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #7  

I have been buying and eating Romaine lettuce hearts for years. I think that they are a little milder in taste and a lot easier to prepare as they are all "clean". I buy them in a 6 pack at Sams Club for 3-4 dollars, though the price changes a bit with the fuel costs and the season. We eat salad almost every day. I also buy baby spinach and the fancy lettuce mix ( the name escapes me) if the price is not too high.
StarSpangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzbabe
I have always hated iceberg because it is so bland. I don't like salad dressing so my greens have to have a flavor. Spinach is also a great salad booster.
Ohhhhhh yes, I'm crazy about fresh spinach. I mix it up with my lettuce to boost the nutrient value of my salads (or I'll make a salad with nothing but the spinach). I put it on my sandwiches, in my wraps, baked with chicken breasts, with fish, all sorts of stuff. I'd say that next to onions, spinach is the vegetable I eat the most of. I eat it almost every day.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I'm really glad I read this thread today. I brought a romaine-lettuce salad to work for lunch, and the warm smell of everyone's cooked food is making my cold salad seem not as appetizing.

I buy bags of mixed baby greens, bags of spinach. It's so worth it to not have to clean ... the convenience factor is definitely a boost in me getting my daily veggies in. I use the spinach in frittatas, spinach/mushroom sandwiches, salads, etc. When I think I've had enough, I cook them up in a pan and either eat them that way or freeze them in ice-cube trays with a little water for future use in soups or what-have-you. (None of these great ideas are my original ideas ... they've all come from 3FC. )
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I buy bags of mixed baby greens, bags of spinach. It's so worth it to not have to clean ...
You know what though, hon, I wash bagged lettuces anyway. Dole had an outbreak of E. Coli sometime last year, several people got sick from eating the pre-packaged salad greens, and ever since then I've washed them.

I was bummed about that because I like just busting the bag open and going to town, but now it's a habit to dump the whole bag into my large collander and rinse rinse rinse. And, of course, I don't put the washed lettuce back into the same bag it was purchased in, I toss it into a gallon-sized ziplock bag.

I wash ALL of my pre-packaged produce, including spinach, shredded carrots, coleslaw mix, everything. Even if it says it's been "pre-washed."

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Default Speaking of Greens ...

... I posted this elsewhere on the boards, but I thought it would be applicable here as well:

Every year at the Farmers' Market, I buy a "lettuce bowl" ... it's a variety of greens growing in a container, where you just pick them as you need them. Fresh and delicious! I found a photo of one online:

This is an excellent way to get a few more fresh veggies in on a daily basis. Sometimes, as I'm leaving, I grab a handful and eat them plain in the car as I go. I recommend you run-don't-walk to a local farmers' market and pick one of these up! (if you like salad)
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #12  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

A restaurant I loved that's now closed once had a very simple romaine salad that, for me, was an entree (I was thinner then!). Just a two or three "ribs" of romaine, with a very simple oil and vinegar dressing and parmesan cheese. It was heaven and, in summer, filling enough to be a meal. I never could duplicate it.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

[QUOTE=LLV
I'll admit it, I'm an iceberg lettuce junkie.
[/QUOTE]

As am I! I have started making a lot of my salads with no lettuce; just cauliflower and all the other fresh veggies, etc. I don't like the taste of the stuff in the prepackaged bags and if I buy a head of lettuce it goes bad; so I eat it "out" but seldom at home. Sometimes I buy the bags of coleslaw instead, as they last longer in the fridge.

To me romaine or fresh spinach is like eating weeds!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #14  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
You know what though, hon, I wash bagged lettuces anyway. Dole had an outbreak of E. Coli sometime last year, several people got sick from eating the pre-packaged salad greens, and ever since then I've washed them.

I was bummed about that because I like just busting the bag open and going to town, but now it's a habit to dump the whole bag into my large collander and rinse rinse rinse. And, of course, I don't put the washed lettuce back into the same bag it was purchased in, I toss it into a gallon-sized ziplock bag.

I wash ALL of my pre-packaged produce, including spinach, shredded carrots, coleslaw mix, everything. Even if it says it's been "pre-washed."

It's better to be safe than sorry.
Me too!!! I wash everything! I use a salad spinner which makes the job much easier.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote