Old 05-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #13

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it is a nice day in my corner of the world. I worked the hospital gift shop this morning, came home to get my grocery list, and am off to the grocery store in a few minutes.

"Gma" -- I don't think our baseball team ever has a winning season, but since I don't really follow them I could be wrong! It's a small world when you run into people from 'home.' Maybe I shared this before, (CRS) but when we were in Maui we ran into two couples that knew someone from our town. The guys had Okoboji shirts on which is where MIL lives during the summer months. Bob just had to ask if they were from Iowa and both live within 100 miles of us. I always enjoy listening to the 60s music! I would have probably stayed with the band rather than watch the game. I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

I need to keep moving. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! I let the dog out onto the deck and it feels just a little cool this morning. We had a nice time at the game, though we left at the end of the 7th because the Cubs were up 7-1 and it had gotten boring. Our little soccer team beat the pants off the other kids 13-2, but I felt sorry for the other team. We are now 3-1 and the team seems to be thriving under Kelly, even though she didn't know what to do in the beginning.

I have the dreaded commissary to go to this morning and am trying to type up my grocery list. I always type it up and print it out. Makes it easier and I make my list according to aisles so I know where everything is and I am not criss crossing the store all the time.

I wore my new shoes on Friday night and walked from the parking garage to the ballpark. I wasn't sure it would be a too smart thing to do, but it was fine. I just have to get my toes used to thongs again this summer, but other than that they were very comfortable. They have a nice foot bed that is well padded. They are Rockports though, so that is part of the reason they are so comfortable. They looked pretty spiffy with my new outfit if I do say so!

I have to get on the treadmill this morning before I do anything and get some exercise in to keep all the junk food from Friday and Saturday from becoming a problem. I think the Friday night stuff is what gave me a tummy ache since I have cut out my fat stuff. I am all better though since late yesterday morning and I think it was mostly gas from the junk food of Friday night.

Jean: I love 50's, 60's, and early 70's stuff and it is pretty much all I listen to. I do like Stevie Ray Vaughn since Jack introduced me to his music (he is a blues singer.) I have been treadmilling to Ricky Nelson these last couple weeks. I LOVE Franki Valli and the 4 Seasons and pretty much know all their stuff, Bobby Darin is a favorite of mine, Neil Diamond, and on and on. I am a real music fan.

Everyone have a great Sunday and I will see you tomorrow!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am heading off to bed shortly but wanted to check in and see what you all have been up to today. My day started just like a regular school day because I had to be at church by 7:30 to practice. We got a standing ovation at both services so I hope they put their extra money in the bell donation buckets! I got home at 12:30 just in time for the kids and grandkids to arrive. They all left around 6 and my kitchen/family area looked like a sticky crumby tornado went through. I did the dishes that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher, read the paper, and have been doing laundry. Tomorrow is Monday and I'm not ready!

"Gma" -- I have alot of 45 and 33 1/3 rpm records from the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure why I'm saving them . . . memories, I guess. It sounds like the soccer team will have a winning season. Winning makes it even more fun.

I hear the dryer buzzing so I am off to fold a load of towels and then head off to bed. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #4  

Good morning gals! It is going to be a nice day today so I am going to get out and clean the deck. We are expecting rain again tomorrow, but I need to trim the holly bush and clean up the deck, table and chairs again.

Jean: Sounds like you had a very busy day. Did Amanda enjoy her birthday? For all that work, I hope you raised a lot of money for your efforts.

I went to the commissary yesterday and the fire alarm went off so we had to stand out in the parking lot for 20 minutes. I was almost done shopping too! On top of that, I wore my new thong sandals and I guess because I had lotioned my feet, the piece between the toe rubbed the skin off and it was raw. I went out and sat in my car and put a band aid on it hoping it would hold ok. We got back in and I finished up shopping, went and filled up with gas at the NEX gas station because the price was $2.63 then drove home and hauled it all in and put it away. I had run out of laundry soap on Saturday so had laundry to catch up on (I didn't want to buy soap at the regular store as it is about $2.00 a bottle cheaper at the commissary.) I am still in the catch up mode!

I need to get a jump on the laundry and get going with morning chores. Everyone have a great day!

Faye
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers! We've been waiting all evening for a phone call. The phone rang three times around suppertime and the caller ID said it was MIL. When Bob answered there was no one there. He just left for the office and I told him I was going to check email and be on the computer if she would call back. It has started raining and we had some pea sized hail for a few minutes. I'll bet we don't have any nice spring weather -- it will go from rain and cold to hot and humid.

"Gma" -- I just talked to the bell choir director and we made $1804 yesterday. The attendance was down at both services so she was kind of disappointed. There is memorial money available and we can have access to that. We are shipping the bells back to PA where they originally came from so they will get the "works." Each bell will be tune, polished, and any repairs needed for the handles and clappers. We need another bell to complete the 5th octave and it is priced at $2000+. I think Amanda is in "mother mode" and her birthday was just another day. She does massage therapy for a chiropractor and just found out she has to work the Sat. morning of the July 4th weekend plus July 3rd and 5th. The kids usually spend that weekend at the lake so that kind of puts a damper on their plans. I hope you didn't have frozen items in your cart while you were spending time in the parking lot. Melted ice cream wouldn't be fun! I've never been in a store when the fire alarm has gone off, but we get enough of them at school!

Guess I will figure out what I'm going to wear tomorrow, watch the news, and head for bed. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #6  

Good early morning gals! I got up to go to the bathroom and laid in bed for an hour and gave up going back to sleep so decided to come downstairs and get some work done and set up morning posts. The soccer game turned into a row yesterday. The other coach was one of those win at all costs kind of jerks and he made a big scene when they lost 5-2. He basically accused my dd of cheating and throughout the whole game he would walk over to his wife saying she was crazy and didn't know what she was doing. She tried to shake hands at the end of the game and told him, "Good game, coach." He refused to shake her hand and just kept on and on about how he was a coach of an older team and she didn't know what she was doing and was teaching the kids wrong, etc etc (a side note is that he pulled his goalie for 2 periods out of the goal so they had three players on the field and no goalie. I would ??? his teaching skills on that note. Though perfectly legal, it is not a smart thing to teach to little kids who you are trying to encourage to stay in the goalie box anyway) My dh and her fil got mad and Jack told the guy off and I had to tell Jack that she was not a little girl and could handle it herself. I have NEVER seen my dd's fil even raise his voice and even HE was mad! Now these are 5-6 year olds and Kelly finally had enough and told everyone on our team that they were not to talk to him because it wasn't good for the kids to see it and walked up to him and told him if he wanted to lodge a protest as she put it, "let's go do it now, I am ready." He backed down but continued to berate her and stomped off the field with his wife and kid (who btw continually pushed our kids during the game, which Kelly let go and didn't call) She did tell him that she never saw a 5 year old get a soccer scholarship (meaning it was a little kids game and not something that was hugely important.) She was pretty steamed, but she vented to her dad and I and probably to her husband all the way home. I felt sorry for her because she is trying hard and doing a really good job. I did tell the other parents that if Kelly was as bad as he made out, after 4 games I would have assumed other coaches would have complained. It was really ridiculous and I kept my cool even though I wanted to tell his snooty wife to shut up. My grandson was sitting next to me and she was next to him saying things about his mother. I finally got mad and ask her what she thought my dd did and she said she pushed her goalie and I told her she was full of bologna and besides their team had gotten a goal out of it so did they want to take the goal back and replay it? That shut her up for about 2 minutes. I tell you, parents of these kids take this stuff wayyyyyyy too seriously.

Jean: Sorry you guys didn't raise all that you needed. Sometimes people have tight pockets when it comes to stuff like that. They enjoy the entertainment so to speak but don't want to cough up a few bucks to help maintain the equipment thinking some other guy will do it.

Last night was just not our night. We got a call right before we left for soccer that our shades were in so we went to Lowes after the soccer game. We were supposed to go to the customer service counter and they would handle the pickup. Unfortunately, they had some ding bat who couldn't even handle the computer, we had to stand in line and wait for the other customer service lady to wait on her line of customers, then she pulled the info and called back to the home decor department, hung up, said the lady was cutting blinds for someone and would get our blinds when she was done. The customer service lady then went on BREAK and left us sitting there for around 20 minutes until another woman who was at one of the checkout counter finally helped us and still it was another 5-10 minutes before the woman brought the blinds up. To top it off, they didn't have the receipt that we needed to sign and rather than just print out another one, the original dingy lady told us she couldn't print it out we would have to wait for someone to come and do it. {{{SIGH}}} We finally got home but Jack discovered it was too dark to see to put them up by then so I guess he will be doing it tonight. We did get his valances also so we can finish up his room completely tonight and be done with it.

I am certainly hoping today is a stress free day!

Have a nice day ladies! (PS, thought you might like to see pics of the office now that it is finished. It is hard taking pics of a room, but I did the best I could)

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-10-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was such a nice day in my corner of the world . . . a typical spring day if I do say so myself. We had an hour and a half awards assembly this afternoon. Our principal has a short fuse and finally half way through the natives were getting restless, so he let them stand up and stretch. It involves mostly seniors and a few juniors so needless to say the freshmen and sophomores are bored to death. MIL left a message on the answering machine again . . . she wants Bob to line up a doctor for her to have surgery on her back. I guess she doesn't realize it's not that simple. *sigh* It could be a very long summer.

"Gma" -- I'm convinced that if the parents weren't allowed at the games, the kids would have a much better time! It's too bad that the other coach made such an a** of himself. I would say that your daughter is doing a good job if the kids are having fun and they are winning a game or two along the way. I hope she wasn't too upset by him. Did you have to have your blinds cut? If so I hope that whomever did it would know what they were doing. Thank you for sharing the pictures . . . you and Jack did a great job! It looks very nice!

I need to sort through some pictures and see if I have some tiny ones of the grandkids. I found a bracelet that has six individual frames and thought I would put my four grandkids in to give to my stepmom for Mother's Day. Her birthday is today so she gets double the pleasure. The other two frames I will leave empty and she can put her two granddaughters in them.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #8  

Good morning gals! It is sloppy rainy this morning and I had to get the trash out so got soaked in my nightgown and tennies no less!

Jean: We ordered them from Lowes and I guess they have them shipped from the manufacturer already cut etc. They fit perfectly so I guess we did an ok job of measuring and it only took Jack about 1/2 hour to figure out how to hang them and get them up. The only drawback is it makes the room darker, so we make get him a nice floor lamp for more light in there. What a wonderful idea for Mother's Day for your "other" mom. I am sure she will treasure it. Hope your dh can deal with the new issue with your mil in a speedy way so he isn't in her dog house!

I have developed a sty on the inside of my bottom lid and boy is it ever sore. I am putting wet heat packs on it several times a day and it if isn't gone by the weekend guess I will head to the dr so it doesn't get worse.

Hope everyone has a cheerful Wednesday. I am getting to work on my chores and the treadmill.

Faye
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm waiting for Bob to get home from a board meeting. He has the hives again and went back to the allergist yesterday. They took 7 tubes of blood and did some more allergy testing. He came home with two strips of 'something' on his back and a carboard grid. I can take the strips off on Friday and then I have to place the grid on top where the strips were. If anything is red, swollen, or white, I have to mark it down on a chart. I hope I don't screw that up! He didn't sleep very well last night and neither did I!

"Gma" -- Bob's brother called last night. He has the same opinion I do about MIL, and that is that at age 86 surgery with a 50/50 chance of success isn't the best idea. I think going the pain management route would be better but then I'm not living with the pain either. She needs to make a decision; we leave for MN in 5 weeks and that week is already paid for. I really don't want to make a trip to AZ to pack up her house! Her furniture down there is too big for the assisted living apts. here so I'm guessing the grandkids down there might get most of it. I used to get styes when I was a kid and remember how much they hurt. I hope it goes away without you having to visit your doctor.

Well, guess I should head down to the kitchen and see what I can put together for supper. Bob will have had munchies or some sort of dessert at his meeting so I don't need to fix much.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies! It is quite cool this morning and finally has stopped raining. It rained almost continually yesterday and hard with lightening and thunder. Poor Fortune refused to go outside so I gave up and just let him use the puppy pads.

Jean: I agree that for someone your mil's age back surgery is frankly, NUTS. Like you, I am not living with the pain, but most women that age have pretty brittle bones and it could totally cripple her for them to go in and mess around or the very least her recuperation time could be extensive and even cause her to die. How many times do old folks succumb to pneumonia after some kind of surgery? Hope Bob gets to feeling better. Poor man, I do feel for him. I only have boughts of sneezing and coughing, but at least not hives.

I talked to our son last night and they are having to put one of their cats down. I know little about cat health, but I guess cats have this virus that is similar to corona that is dormant in most cats, but genetically mutates in cat families and when it does causes lesions inside the body that cause the cat to "blow up" so to speak and Toe is to that point. My dil is pretty upset he said and me too. This is a gorgeous black and white cat and very gentle. I guess for the most part it is contagious to the other two cats. I do feel so sorry for my dil.

I guess we aren't going to Indiana for Thanksgiving this year. I dread telling my son as it is his favorite holiday, but Jack said he is a big boy and can handle it. Jack just doesn't have the time to take off, we are going there in Sept and it will be expensive now with gas being what it is and we rent a vehicle to keep from putting so much mileage on ours and we don't want to spend that kind of money to just run up there and run back. It takes a good 10 hours of driving time to get there and about $1000 between gas prices, car rental, dog boarding, eating out, etc. We will just stay home this year. It will make my sister unhappy (actually both of them as the one from Calf is supposedly coming) but that's the way it goes. I will see them in Sept when we are up there.

I need to get cracking and finish my chores, mop the downstairs floors and do some weights today.

Everyone have a great day!

Faye
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is windy and cold in my corner of the world today. We got some rain during the night and a few sprinkles this morning. I'm getting really tired of this crappy weather!

Tomorrow is the day that seniors need to have all of their assignments and projects finished. We have one smart aleck who is always late turning papers in and half the time he can't find them. He is very messy and unorganized so that papers stapled together are turned in in bits and pieces. It's always someone else's fault yada, yada, yada. Supposedly he is bringing in 9 assignments before school starts tomorrow. Of course he thinks I will jump right on it and get them corrected. I'm thinking I will tell him that I'm going to take as much time as he did getting them turned in. He is just a jerk.

"Gma" -- That is too bad about your Thanksgiving plans. I know how disappointed your son and sisters will be. Maybe they could all come to you?! I feel badly about the cat . . . I'm not familiar with the virus other than the feline leukemia that is highly contagious. We started giving "Mom" filtered water like we drink. Our city water smells like bleach and although they claim it is safe, I wonder. Since we had two cats get sick within a couple months of each other and both had a mass of some sort, I thought maybe there might be some correlation.

As I reread this I sound like a real grump today. Bob just came in the door so guess I'll go see how he is feeling. The allergy strips come off in the morning. Yippee!

Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #12  

Good morning flowers! The rain has moved through and brought some cooler morning air, but the days are beautiful again.

Jean: You have getoutofschoolitis I think not grumpy necessarily. I know how frustrating it must be to have to deal with students who turn stuff in at the last minute and want credit for it. Why does the school allow that anyway? I mean, why are long overdue papers even allowed to be turned in?

Not much news in my part of the world. I have a friend on my other thread whose husband is going into surgery this morning and it is pretty critical. He is having to have extensive vein surgery in his leg and has had it done once already and it failed. If they can't get this to work then he will lose his leg. He is not healthy anyway and this could really be dangerous so I am sure she would appreciate any prayers her way. Her name is Susan.

Looks like my sty is finally getting better and going away. I may even be able to go back to my contacts this weekend. I hate wearing my funky ole glasses. I have to go to the eye doctor's this summer again and I may go back to glasses. I like contacts but I only have my regular prescription not bifocals and I always have to have a pair of reading glasses at hand to be able to read. It's kind of a pain.

Thomas's kindergarten graduation is a week from today so I hope his gift gets here in time. It was mailed a few days ago so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I bought him the wetsuit he wanted for the pool.

I guess I better get going. I have bathrooms to clean and dusting to do upstairs besides treadmill work today.

Have a great day and weekend!

Faye
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's definitely TGIF for me! The countdown is on at school and the kids are antsy . . . so are the teachers! We had FAC after school so didn't get home until after 7. I've spent the evening trying to find little tiny pictures of the grandkids to put in a picture bracelet I found for my "mom." She turned 80 this week, but didn't want any celebration at home. She is at her daughter's and tomorrow we are going over to see her. The gals are going out for lunch at a tea room and the guys are playing golf.

Bob's brother called last night and guess MIL has made the decision to come north asap. Perhaps we will be furniture shopping for her on Sunday.

"Gma" -- I will keep your friend, Susan, and her husband in my thoughts and prayers. That kind of surgery has to be very scary for them. Our school pretty much lets the teachers grade late assignments individually. The special ed. teachers seem to be more strict in not allowing F's and making students redo unsatisfactory work, then average the two grades. What gripes me is the kid who is very capable but slops anything down just to show that he has a paper to hand in. I wear contacts and also trifocal glasses. I called about Lasik this week and my prescription is too strong, plus my age, so I am not a candidate. There is a new procedure where they sew a prescription lens in place, but I don't think I want to do that until it's been around a while longer. My prescription is so thick, that regular glasses are heavy.

I need to switch laundry loads and head for bed.

I hope you enjoy a Happy Mother's Day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #14  

Good Saturday morning to the troops! We have soccer later on this morning so thought I should get up, get my chores done then get on the treadmill. I have upstairs vacuuming to do then tomorrow is a free day all round; no exercise and no cleaning.

My dd called me last night and ask if we could have Mother's Day NEXT weekend. She has had a hellish week at work, both of them are iffy about keeping their jobs because my dd's company is not that stable and my son is hearing lay off rumors for the postal inspectors. He is a HUGE computer geek so he could probably get a good job anywhere, but the government job is a big plus. I think I told you as an inspector he goes into situations and gets their computer info (ie a child pornographer, etc.) He is not a mail inspector, but computer stuff. Anyway, his car went phlewy so they have to consider buying a new car for him and have to go car shopping this weekend to see what they can find. I told her that was fine, didn't matter to me. As for my son, I got this beatiful card from he and my dil with lovely personal messages from each.

I received my dgs's wetsuit yesterday so have his gift for his graduation. Now all I have to do is get a card an wrap it up. His graduation is a week from yesterday. I can't believe he is through kindergarten already. They grow up so fast. Seems like just yesterday I was all excited to tell my friends at the law firm that I was finally going to have a grandbaby.

Boy, I am beginning to wonder if this town is taking cues from New York, Chicago, or Detroit corruption. We just had two COPS arrested by the feds. One is like a 14 year veteran and the other 8 or so. One was selling drugs and depositing like $15,000 a week into his bank. I guess the bank notifies the IRS anytime more than $10,000 deposits are made. On top of that, he had bought a new Hummer, a corvette and I guess has like 8 kids. The other one was getting paid to provide protection for drug runners IN HIS POLICE CAR! I guess he would drive around with these drug dealers following them so that they wouldn't get stopped by other cops! The reason they aren't getting off is because this was a federal sting and not something local though the darn judge let them out on a low bail.

I guess I better get with it. I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day.

Faye
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #15  
Web Nana

On a very, very rainy Saturday I am here to say Hi. Have not posted
for a while but only because not much is going on here. Last night was
the first night of 3 performances on Annie, Jr. put on by the South
Middle School. Our Cam had a part (actually 3 parts) and he was good!
The entire cast was great...some need time to develope voice projection
but all in all they did well.

Cam was 'Drake' who is Daddy Warbucks chief servant. He wore dark pants
and a vest and bow tie. Now, the vest was very significant to he as
it was the vest that his father wore at his wedding. His father died
when Cam was 2. Cam was also the off stage voice of the radio
announcer and in the last act he played Bert Healy a DJ of sorts and
for this he wore his Grandfather's old red plaid jacket with a yellow
scarf used to hide the bow tie. Bert interviewed Annie and Daddy
Warbucks and signed off his program with 'This is Mrs. Healy's favorite
son, Bert saying, Keep Smiling' Very smart alecky sounding and for
this it was right up Cam's alley.

The youg man, an 8th grader, who played Daddy Warbucks had broken his
ankle right after the first rehearsal and he played his part on
crutches. He did very well even to using them in the dance with Annie.
Instead of tapping his feet he tapped his crutches.

This was a great evening and it helped break up this long and dismal
week of rain that they are predicting until almost next weekend.

Faye the new room looks great. It should after all the work you and Jack did.
I am sure your ds and dil will miss you at Thanksgiving but I understand and you can only do what you can do.

Jean the end is in sight and I hope you have a great summer. I know you will be very busy with mil but do take time for yourselves.

Lunch time and I can hear DH's stomach rumbling so off to make some soup for this cold and dismal day.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Gloria in MA
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote