Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default You've Got to Have Faith...

I'm stuck on step two...

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity

This is tough for me, not because I have an issue with this disease being out of my control, or that I have an issue with myself lacking sanity. But merely the Higher Power is my conflict. It's been so long since I've had any faith at all that this step is a bit tough for me.

Tonight at my meeting, a gentleman said "If only I had faith in the higher power like I do in this flimsy folding chair. There is never a doubt in my mind that this chair will hold me, I just plop myself down with never failing belief."

Perhaps I just need to reach out a bit further, and meditate on it myself... if only I had that unwaivering faith. But I'm willing to at least search for it, and that in itself is progress.

I'm proud of myself, I opened up and shared for the first time tonight. I've been sitting in the back at meetings, just observing and digesting my thoughts. Speaking with people after the meeting. But tonight, I shared!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I know it's difficult to have faith in something you can't see, touch or sit on :0), but I have put my future in God's hands for so many other things why not my weight....

Dieter’s Prayer

Dear God

I surrender my body and my weight loss to your
divine care and love.

I ask that you remove all excess and unnecessary weight
from my body.

Return my body to it’s most healthy
and balanced state.

Give me eating habits that support my
health and life energy.

And finally teach me to love my body
and to care for it from this day forth.
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #3  
I've had a rough week...

Alex, that is a really neat prayer Thank you for sharing it!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Wow Alex! I love it!

Jac--one of the methods that may help you is to act "as if" you have a higher power. At my last meeting someone was sharing that she really had a tough time with the higher power thing. Her sponsor told her to fake it until it becomes real. So she said prayers even though she didn't believe they would work. She gave her will up to "it" even though she wasn't sure that there was an "it." She acted "as if" there was someone or something listening and helping. After some time passed, she came to believe there really was a higher power listening and helping.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

Marny, what a cool concept! So she just started praying?? VERY interesting... I will have to give it a try
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #6  

I love that prayer too Alex! Thank you for posting it

Jac - You are in my thoughts! I am sorry, I do not really know how to respond without it sounding like I am forcing my beliefs on you. This is one of the things I am having a problem with... I know that OA is not about religion and I have a hard time not talking about my religious beliefs when I speak of a higher power. I do want you to know that you are in my thoughts though and I hope that you are getting closer to defining what "HP" is in your life.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #7  

Jac--
How's it goin?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #8  
I've had a rough week...

Thanks Water I've distanced myself so much from the HP that it's tough to even "fake it" some days! But I'm working!! Each day is a small step

Marny, It's going... I had a pretty nasty binge last night But I figured out what caused and went to the source! So hopefully that won't be happening again!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #9  

Wow! Just knowing the cause of the binge is half the battle. I'm proud of you.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #10  
Duranie forever

A few days ago, I could have written your post. I had 12 continuous days of abstainance, and then had such bad cravings for 2 days, totally white knuckeling(sp?) it. I got up the next morning and said the prayer, and the difference is amazing. Literally!

I am not really a God person, more spiritual than religious, but man, the morning prayer, down on my knees really made a difference. One of the ladies from my meeting happened to call me today, and I told her about it, and she said "We told you that you don't have to do it by yourself, miracles happen here every day"

It really works. I didn't believe it either
Collgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #11  

collgall--
prayer is awesome! I'm so happy that you are experiencing God's answers.
I'm experiencing some new wonderful grace from prayer. I'm trying something different in the way that I pray, and it's amazing how when I really open my whole heart...even the dark parts to God, He comes running to me to heal, help, and strengthen me.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #12  
I've had a rough week...

CollGirl,
Thank you for sharing your story! I really needed to read that today! (I'm struggling this week...)