Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #1  

Talking I just did a really scarey thing

I decided to have an omlet for lunch and in a rare moment of bravery I decided to throw a half cup of frozen veggies in and.....it wasn't too bad. I ate it and I lived. I don't know if I would want to eat it everyday, but I could handle it occasionally. I'm so proud of myself. It even had carrots in it, blucky!

cheers, cj
CeeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #2  
icandoit

S/C/G: 190/179/155

watch out for the carrots they are high in sugar
turtledove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #3  
it's always something

Baby steps! A lot of our members recommend adding veggies to omelets. A nice veggie frittata is good, too.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Carrots aren't bad if you're not on a low-carb diet--tons of nutrients, and much better to accompany your omelette than, say, a danish!

You're braver than I am, CJ! I have made omelettes in the past using salsa in an attempt to get some veggies in my diet--they were tolerable, but like you said, I wouldn't be able to eat it every day

Now I ust choke down 8oz of V8 every day since I KNOW I likely won't get ANY veggies otherwise
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #5  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtledove
watch out for the carrots they are high in sugar

One of my favorite quotes from Oprah is "Nobody ever got fat eating carrots" They do have natural sugars, but carrots are very high in vitamins and antioxidants. As long as you don't simmer them in honey or maple syrup, you should be fine
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

One of my favorite omlets that I make is a zuchinni/green onion/bellpepper and chopped cilantro topped off with sliced tomato. so so so so good!!! oh yea and a little sprinkling of cheese
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

Man, sometimes I WISH I liked veggies--recipes with multiple ingredients sound good
Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #8  

I'm thinking about having some vegetables with supper too!!! But it is still early I might back out.

I thought carrots were one of those (-) foods that actually burn more calories being digested than they contain. I'm sure celery is but I thought carrots were too.

cheers, cj
Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #9  

Ok folks, I did it. Yesterday was a big milestone for me. I had veggies again at supper. Spinach and mixed veggies! .75 C at supper and .5 C at lunch for a grand total of 1.25 C of veggies!!!!! I may try again today, but I don't want to put pressure on myself, so don't hold me to it! LOL

I'm very pleased with myself!

cheers, cj
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #10  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

YEAHHHHHH CJJJ!!

Im Proud of you!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJaye
I'm thinking about having some vegetables with supper too!!! But it is still early I might back out.

I thought carrots were one of those (-) foods that actually burn more calories being digested than they contain. I'm sure celery is but I thought carrots were too.

cheers, cj

Carrots and celery are on the "negative calorie food" lists that are floating about (as are apples and mangos, among others), but in reality, there are no negative calorie foods. Especially not to the extent that people selling the e-books would have you believe. I saw one site that claimed that a stalk of celery burned 150 calories in digestion - oh please! If it were that simple, no one would be fat. We could all just have a few celery stalks instead of going to the gym.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #12  
Enjoy the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TiredGradStudent
I saw one site that claimed that a stalk of celery burned 150 calories in digestion - oh please! If it were that simple, no one would be fat. We could all just have a few celery stalks instead of going to the gym.
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #13  

Default Calories

If you're interested. . .

In the states nutritional values are listed as calories, but they are actually kilo-calories. I think this leads to a great deal of confusion.

I think a cup of cauliflower is listed at 17 calories, but that's actually 17 kcals which is 17,000 calories.

The thing that I find most depressing is that exercise rates are given in actual calories not kcals. So, you cannot eat a candy bar and go walk on a tread mill for a half-hour and burn it off.

Just my two cents. . .
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alethea
If you're interested. . .

In the states nutritional values are listed as calories, but they are actually kilo-calories. I think this leads to a great deal of confusion.

I think a cup of cauliflower is listed at 17 calories, but that's actually 17 kcals which is 17,000 calories.

The thing that I find most depressing is that exercise rates are given in actual calories not kcals. So, you cannot eat a candy bar and go walk on a tread mill for a half-hour and burn it off.

Just my two cents. . .
No, I think you're a bit confused. If a candy bar is listed as having 100 calories (small candy bar, I know ), it has 100 calories. If running on a treadmill for an hour burns 100 calories, then it burned as many calories as were in that candy bar. Calories burned and calories in food ARE equivalent--otherwise, we would all be 1,000+ pounds because it would take 1,000 times as much exercise to burn anything off In the world of dieting/health/nutrition/fitness, all calories referred to are nutritionist's calories (same as a kilocalorie, or Calorie--with a capital "C"), so they are equivalent when discussing burning vs. eating.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #15  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJaye
I decided to have an omlet for lunch and in a rare moment of bravery I decided to throw a half cup of frozen veggies in and.....it wasn't too bad. I ate it and I lived. I don't know if I would want to eat it everyday, but I could handle it occasionally. I'm so proud of myself. It even had carrots in it, blucky!

cheers, cj
Woohoooooo WTG CJ!!!

I LOVE veggies! That wasn't always the case. The only veggies I would eat was corn, green peas and lima beans.

I made a conscience decision to start eating veggies. It was tough at first but amazingly I started to love them!!! I was the same way with diet cokes. HATED them at first. Now, I couldn't stand a regular coke.

So, keep trying. Try different veggies and try cooking and seasoning them in different ways! It's soooo worth it!

Have you tried mushrooms in your eggs? I cook them in a nonstick pan for a few minutes then pour my eggbeaters on top. Yummy!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote