Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #1  

Default New to OA....

I went to 2 meetings this week and while I am keeping an open mind, I find it a little confusing. I went to an "open House" OA meeting last night. The 2 speakers were good but the info seemed to be lacking. Like, when do you ask for a sponser, what meal plans have worked for people? I was surprised at the lack of idea sharing.....They speakers asked for questions at the end but I didn't ask any because I had too many. Their stories were powerful but neither story helped me to figure out what I am to do to get going on this??? I am going to keep going but I am a little dissappointed. I thought people would pull the newcomers aside after the meeting and sit and talk a little with them about how it works etc
pharmacistkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Karen!
Glad you're here. It takes a while to understand how it works. It's confusing for everyone in the beginning.
You can choose a sponsor as soon as you are ready to recieve the guidance--so, you could choose one today! In OA we don't usually discuss our food plans during meetings because in OA the idea is referred to as "Dignity of Choice" meaning that each person chooses what works for them. Your sponsor would be a great person to talk that over with. She/he will be able to give you some ideas.
Are there any newcomer meetings scheduled near you? Sometimes groups offer those. You can also stick around after the meeting and ask questions.
Or...we're all here to help. Ask away!
The book "The 12 Steps and 12 Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous" will answer a lot of your questions. It explains the program and how it works. You can buy one at a meeting or order it online from amazon.
You may find a lot of your questions answered already right here in this forum if you read back over posts from the last month or two.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #3  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

This forum is a great place to ask questions (If you look at the main page, I've been asking about 3 a day )

As Marny mentioned, OA doesn't usually discuss eating plans, and most meetings actually prefer (or even request) that you don't. Just the talk of food can sometimes set people off into a binge, and so they leave that for your own personal discussion outside of the meetings.
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #4  

Welcome Karen! I am new too and I am also confused, but I am learning You will too! The ladies here have been wonderful about answering questions. It is nice to have an open forum here where you can ask anything and have people so willing to help you out. Keep coming here and asking those questions! I can tell already that OA is a wonderful program and I think it is going to make a major difference in my life.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #5  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

I am also new to OA. It is so nice knowing that I'm not alone in all of this. It's also nice to knowing that this is an ILLNESS that I have. Now I just have to learn how. I am so glad to have found this thread too! Best of luck to all of you!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #6  

hey big-
Welcome, welcome! You are definitely not alone. :-)
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #7  

Marny this is the biggest struggle for me! I was doing so good, 17 days abstainent, and then yesterday and today I have blown it. I want to beat this! I really do. I hate being controlled by anything, but to be controlled by food is just so humiliating.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #8  

Welcome Cindy! Remember to take it one day at a time. If one day doesn't go so great, you have a fresh start the next morning! We can do this together! It is humiliating that food has controlled us for so long, BUT we are now in recovery and that is what is important! WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #9  

Cindy-
It's so frustrating to gain something like abstinence and then lose it. The awesome thing is that you can get it back! Where are you in the program? Do you have a sponsor? Are you working the steps? Using all the tools that OA offers really helps.
When I was just starting out it really helped me to read the first or second step everyday.
You are doing a great service to yourself by posting here and seeking out fellowship and help!
Water is so right. We have to remember to look at one day at a time. Today we deal with today. Tomorrow we'll deal with tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #10  

Thank you Marny and Water. I am very new to OA, so the only step I've worked is up to two or three. (I'm sorry I don't have them memorized). But you are right, today IS a brand new start! So far so good, I can do this! Thanks for the support! I've been going to alot of threads, but they seem dead (not OA threads). I am so glad to get "replies" from you! I hope that you're having a wonderful day so far!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  

I am very new also Cindy. I just started this month. I am taking it very, very slow. I ordered some OA literature online (we don't have local meetings) and I have been reading, reading, reading. I have not really even begun to work the steps yet at all. I found a sponsor a couple of weeks ago and I have been answering a lot of orientation type questions to make sure that I understand OA, working on my food plan and abstinence, etc. I am going to start officially working on the first step next week. Anyway, as you can see, I am all for taking is S L O W. I want to make sure that everything 'sticks'. I don't think it matters so much which step you are on, but that you have the desire to stop eating compulsively.

OK - LOL - I guess I really didn't have a point to all of that other than I want you to know that you are not alone, that you are among friends, and that we are glad you are here
Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #12  

Thank you Water, I am very happy to be here too! You are so sweet! Did you find an online sponsor or actual sponsor? I haven't found one yet. There are 3 at the meeting here in town, but the actual group is huge! So I don't know if they will have room for another to sponsor. I am wanting to one though and I'm hopeful about it!