Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #1  

Default Exercise ??'s

Good Morning everyone!

I just found this website and I'm enjoying the posts alot -- helps to keep you motivated and its nice to see that I'm not alone with my struggles.

I've been on program since January 06 and down about 26lbs. I would like to see what everyone does for exercise? I joined a gym in February and go at least 3x aweek. I met with a Personal Trainer last Monday and was a bit disappointed. This was the "complimentary" one and truthfuly, I just wish I could afford to hire one, but that is not possible.

Anyways, although the session was rushed, the two machines she told me to do work well and I can feel it .. but I was wondering what others are doing to help. I have alot to loose, and right now would like to be down to 35 or more by mothers day -- not sure if that will happen, but would like that.

I think I like the weight training. Sometimes I wonder what is the difference between the gym and curves (besides the cardio machines) because at least curves will show me what to do on the machines w/out having me hire someone.

I also read somewhere that there was a LAWL Yahoo group .. but I cant find it anywhere.

Enjoy the day
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #2  
PurpleSunshine

Sue - Well I have been going to the gym religously since January and I alternate between cardio days and weight training......The weight training will help you to build muscle which will help you to burn more calories when sedentary.......otherwise the cardio will burn calories while your working as well as build your endurance and stamina. I really like both. I love the toning effect of the weight training.

If on your cardio days you will either work on the bikes or elliptical or treadmill - try to do interval type programs. Most machines have these pre-programmed. Start with something small to get up to it - and just pace yourself. Go fast for a minute and then pace yourself for a few minutes - then go fast again. From what the personal trainer at my gym was saying - this alternates your body btw aerobic and anarobic exercise which helps lose more weight!! let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to answer !! I'm no expert but have been seeking out alot of information on exercise!!!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #3  

Thank you soo much! Initially when I joined the gym, I was doing the treadmill for about 35 minutes (autoprogrammed under fatburn) and boy was that a workout -- I would burn 350+ calories! Then one day I was getting tired of the treadmill and changed the treadmill to about 25 minutes and then the bike to 20 minutes. I liked that too, but my weightloss has been slowgoing. The PT told me to use the eliptical. I think your recommending when I am on the eliptical or treadmill, try and go faster -- or at a harder level -- for a minute or two and then back.

I love the weight training . ... although it only takes about 20 minutes to do the program she wrote up for me, so I've been doing it 2x (fit ball squats = 2 sets of 15, done two seperate times, the leg press, 3 sets of 15, and a this device for my arms I do 2-3 times, 8 reps each). Then yesterday because I still had 1/2 hour left I went back on the eliptical for another 20 minutes.

I am trying to get cardio in at least 5x a week and then the weight 3-4x a week.

One last ?? -- I am trying to figure out what my heartrate should be. I've read you subtract your age from 220 and multiply it by 65% (220-37 *.65). I get 118 -- is that my target heart rate? I got myself to 130 yesterday but I cant figure out what its suppose to be. If you have any websites / magazines to recommend on the exercise / training I would love to research them as well (since I cant afford a PT).

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge!!!

Sue
Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #4  
PurpleSunshine

Sue - Your workout strategy about cardio 5x and weight training 2-3 sound very good - I try to do a little cardio (at least 10 mins - either at the beginning or 5 mins at the beg. and then 5 mins in the middle) on the same days as my weight training and then like 45 minutes of cardio on my "cardio" days. On top of that I try to do abs almost everyday - maybe one day in the middle with none....just different ab workouts - as far as what I said about going faster or harder for a minute and then slowing for a few minutes - you understood - what I was trying to say. Also with the elliptical - if you can try to go backwards for as long as you can and then alternate fowards -that will help alot especially in the thigh/hip areas.......

girlfriend - as far as the heartrate stuff - I'm not sure. I usually use the charts at the gym or base it by how out of breath I am - let me see if I can find any good info for you on that - I will post them if I find anything - one of my friends here at work - works out alot and he might know!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #5  
PurpleSunshine

www.jackis.com/Heart_Rates.htm

this has some charts and the differences between resting working and recovery heartrates....
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #6  

Thanks for all that information. Its alot to understand but I want to be sure I'm doing it right ... .

Do you know if doing my weight program before going to WI will affect the scale? I usually wo in the am, (9:15 - 10:15) then weigh in at 10:40 .. I dont want a bad WI .... I might just do cardio tomorrow.

Yesterday after I did my wieghts, I did go back onto the eliptical for another 20 minutes -- good thing is that its getting easier; I just wish the weight would come off easier too lol.

Thanks again! I appreciate your replies
Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #7  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

sue-

I've been training to walk the Portland marathon in October and all the walking has made a noticeable difference! Especially in the legs and butt I haven't really added weight training-I do need to get on that.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #8  
PurpleSunshine

There are several people on the boards that have different results as far as wieight after working out - I'm not sure about weight training, but I know that I would always lose during cardio b/c I sweat so much - I have never weighed before and after a wt. training - I would almost think it would be opposite - but to tell you the truth I have nOOOOOO idea....good luck though