Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default Anyone switch from low-carb to Cal Count?

Has anyone here had experience switching from Atkins, South Beach, or other low-carb to Calorie Counting? Did you gain weight when you went off the low-carb diet? Is the weight loss you had when you switched comparable to the low-carb? My dh is on my behind to lay off of Atkin's because of problems it has caused....SEVERE constipation, even with psyllium and laxatives, leg cramps from lack of potassium, etc. But I've lost 20 lbs in a little over a month, and I'm terrified of screwing that up, despite any difficulty. Please help!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #2  
Susan hockeyfan7

I do both. I do low-carb, but I eat fruit and veggies. I'm allergic to most other carbs, so I eat protein, dairy, fruit and veggies. But I still count the calories and stay within my daily calorie goals.

If you are experiencing constipation, one of your best bets is to add fruit. I've been eating low-carb for 6 years now and I don't run into that problem. I also use ground flaxseed and put Benefiber in a lot of my food.

I did gain about 20 lbs and now I'm taking that back off. And it comes off a lot slower.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #3  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

water...water...water...at least a gallon a day on Atkins! and getting your veggies! the leafy greens, and cut back on cheese! I use to Atkins and stopped for the very reasons you listed. I enjoyed all the high fat foods but all the other problems that came with it was terrible! Lost weight good, but sick all the time, consitpated, tired....not worth it! calorie counting makes sense to me now because all these diets are really is another way to count calories really. Your calories are reduced by cutting out the carbs...so..I count now.

ps...I could not live with out rice either....
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #4  

Thanks for responding ladies. I need all the help I can get. I have been eating strawberries every day, as part of my carb count. All non-berry fruits seem to have too many carbs! I have to admit that I have been bad about the water-I mostly drink the new diet berries and cream dr pepper. I know, the book says cut back on diet soda, but I have to have the caffiene, and it hasn't seemed to hinder the weight loss. Besides, you give up so much other stuff, and I don't think diet soda is really bad for you anyway. I went to the store yesterday and got some one a day carbsmart vitamins, which contain potassium, so I'm hoping that helps. I'm just so scared of gaining back the little bit of weight I've lost already that I'm hesitant to switch to anything else yet. Summer vacation is looming, and my hubby and I are going to Mazatlan in June, and then back to Louisiana in July to visit family and friends. People there haven't seen me in a long time, and I DREAD going back and seeing the eyes bug out at how much more I weigh now since the baby. This sucks. My dh, God love him, doesn't seem to be bothered by it, and is more concerned about my general health than the lbs, and doesn't agree with this diet. I would be happy to try something else if I thought I could have the same results!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #5  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I did lose quite a bit on Atkins, but couldn't stay on it long term because the high fat items like cheese made my IBS act up. I also missed having certain fruits and vegetables.

I switched to calorie counting and have lost 35 lbs. so far. It's been very slow going, because I'm averaging around 1620 calories, but I'm much more relaxed about what I'm eating and I'm no longer "afraid" of bananas though I only eat half a banana a couple of times a week.

I still don't overdo the high carb stuff like pasta and bread, but I do occasionally enjoy sweet potatoes and other root veggies.

I try to stick to the "Zone" diet of 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein at each meal. This keeps me on an even keel and I don't get hungry.

Everyone gains some 'baby weight' and it will come off if you reduce your calories a bit and do a little exercise. I hope you have a nice time in Mazatlan - don't spoil your trip by worrying about what people think about your weight - they're probably more concerned what others think of them!
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

When people talk about 'low carb' how low do they mean? The ladies who lift and BFL talk about 30% of calories coming from carbs. Or do they talk about grams of carbs?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

When I was doing Atkins it was 20% (or less) of total calories from carbohydrates.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #8  

There are some low carb diets that go by percentages, like the zone, but with Atkins you're supposed to count carbs. You start out with under 20 for induction, then after you can go up at 5 gram increments until you reach a level that's high enough for variety, but your body still tolerates enough to lose weight on. It's different for everyone. Some can only stay around 25, others can go as high as 90. It depends on your body's resistance to them. I have stayed at around 25 just because I want to lose fast, but I am probably going to switch to counting calories, anyway. I've had some problems with Atkins-maybe low-carb just isn't for me. I've read here about people who do it for years without a hitch, but my body just isn't doing well with it.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #9  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I did atkins, could not stand not have rice, bread, pasta...a "diet" is suppose to be a total life change, FOREVER and is it really realistic to think that you will live without bread? pasta? rice? if so, then Atkins will work, give it time. If you are like me, then no, it wasn't realistic to think that I will never have a sandwhich, or be able to grab a powerbar (I love powerbars, luna bars and such...) So, not only it I feel like crap, but I knew I could not live forever on that. Plus in the end its all calories in vs calories out anyway, right? Low carb diets are a means of cutting calories in the end. So why not just cut the calories. I know the Atkins folks say, "a calorie is not just a calorie" but as long as you are eating healthy is it really?

Just some thoughts......

plus if you feel like crap on the diet, your body is telling you something, IMO..
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Over time, I've found that nutrients are in 'good carbs' and protein. Then it easy to fiddle with lowering fats. If you can find lean sources of protein, it's easy to get a nice amount of calories from that and then add a couple of 'overt' carbs like oatmeal. The carbs in vegetables and some nice portion controlled fruit make up the rest .... when I'm being good
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #11  
Susan hockeyfan7

It is both possible and realistic for some people to live forever without eating bread, pasta, rice, etc.

I haven't had a piece of bread in 11 months. I haven't had any pasta in that timeframe either. No bagels, no pretzels, no Doritos, no baked chips, no cake, cookies, brownies, donuts, etc. And I just don't like rice so I avoid it.

Eating that stuff will put me in the hospital and can eventually kill me. Of course, I know I'm outside the norm although there are more and more people diagnosed with my disease every day.

It is possible to get used to using a lettuce leaf as your sandwich wrapper and just avoiding pasta altogether. And I don't need all that other junk.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I switched from low-carb to cal counting, mostly because I wanted to go vegetarian. I think both plans work fine. You may gain a little water weight since low-carb tends to deplete your body of water weight, but it isn't real weight gain (as in body fat).
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #13  

Well, it's been about a week since I switched, and I did gain back almost two pounds. I've been keeping my calorie count pretty low, like 1000-1100 to try to avoid it, but crap happens, I guess. I am alot happier with the variety, my leg pain is gone, my energy is back, and I can actually go to the bathroom without the aid of chemicals or the implement of torture devices. All in all I'd say that was a fair trade-off for the pound and a half. It was less than I expected, really, it actually makes me feel better, because that mean that I actually DID lose that weight, and it wasn't all just water.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 179.8/169/120

Height: 5'1"

I've gone from low carb to cal counting. I think it is better..because you don't cut out entire groups of foods. I still am not a crazy carb person..I do moderation. I try go stay 1000 cal or less...but not lower than 800.

I've done South Beach, Atkins, Sugar Busters etc. etc...

I should write a book..hahaha!!!

Nice to meet you all~
Sarah
SarahL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

1000 calories or less is very low calorie, I would be very careful and make sure you are under the supervision of a doctor. One day of under 1000 calories is generally fine but consistently I don't think that anyone should dip under 1200. Your body needs calories to operate properly. You wouldn't leave your car empty so you shouldn't do that to your body. Just a note of concern. Anyway, that's my two cents. Also, personal opinion, I think it is important to get your calories from all groups including carbs. Health first should be our goal I strongly believe.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote