Old 04-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #1  
Dante'smama

S/C/G: 245/239/140

Unhappy Didn't do well today... :(

I was having a massive carb craving, I am on day 3 of induction and I had a 25 gram carb toasted oats bar from the vending machine at work. I figured it was better than anything else in there.

I had a two egg omelette with a slice of cheese, and 2 strips of bacon for breakfast, then 2 cups of mixed salad greens with 2 cherry tomatoes, and about 4 slices of cukes and about 6 pieces of sliced mushroom and 5 large steamed shrimp for lunch.
And about 1/2 cup of cooked chicken.
And I had a half of a cup of asparagus, mixed with red pepper and I was still hungry.

What happened I thought my carb craving and appetite would diminish? I'm not giving up tho, just continuing on from here, just so dang mad at myself.
Dante'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #2  
TemporaryFatChick

OW! It's pretty normal to have a desperate carb craving a few days into it, and if you can tough it out, they'll leave and you won't need the will power dust. When you crave the carbs, try eating something that's high in protein\fat like cheddar cheese, deviled eggs, etc. It really helps and doesn't blow your diet.

Hang in there!!!

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #3  
Dante'smama

Tenn, thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. I *CAN* do this. I know I can, I have all of you as inspiration.

Thank you!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #4  

stick with it. It WILL get better and easier.
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #5  
Susan hockeyfan7

If you are still hungry, eat more protein. I can remember literally sitting down and grilling 4 hamburger patties on my George Foreman with melted cheese and eating all 4.

I would easily eat a pound of shrimp dipped in melted butter with garlic salt added.

And I still lost weight doing it. If you are hungry, you need to keep eating the proper foods and not go for the carbs.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #6  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Day 3 of induction was hardest for me, too. On the 2nd and 3rd days, not only did I have severe cravings, but I had horrible headaches also. It wasn't until the fourth day that I had my cravings start to diminish, and the headaches went away. You may have to start your two-week time over for the purpose of ketosis, but just know that if you can make it past those first really difficult days that it does get easier. It sounded kinda crazy to me at first. I didn't think there would ever be a day in my life that I didn't want to die for a piece of bread or cake-but you really do lose the cravings. An important thing to remember---keep atkins friendly foods with you so that hitting the vending machines isn't so tempting. Slim fast makes low carb shakes that are pretty good and only 2 carbs. Bring a bag of pork rinds with you, or some nuts. If you have to hit fast food, order a burger with cheese without the bun so you're not tempted by the sight of it. It's hard to have a snack on hand when you can only eat mostly meat and eggs for the first couple of weeks, but you body and your tastes will adapt. Just hang in there, you're worth the effort...and it only gets better once you start seeing the results!!!!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Don't beat yourself up BUT...learn from your "mistakes" and get right back on the wagon. You are right, you CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

Some of my favorite snacks:

A slice of ham spread with cream cheese, then add a slice of cheese, more cream cheese, another slice of ham, more cream cheese, roll up and cut into slices.

Cheese cubes

Macademia nuts

Celery with cream cheese

A can of chicken breast -- but I have to salt it or I can't eat it. Guess you could do the same with tuna - but that's cat food!

Chunks of grilled beef

Shrimp

Occasionally hard-boiled eggs, but I don't really like them much

Brie warmed up to gooey and eaten with a spoon

And heavy cream whipped with no carb maple syrup and a mixer

Sugar-free Jell-O and spray whipped cream

Anyone else have any good ideas??
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

I whip up the heavy whipping cream with some nesquick sugar free chocolate powder mix. You get chocolate mousse! Nesquick (the one with the bunny, I think thats Nesquick) Is the only sugar free one I have found. It tastes so rich you only need a few spoonfuls to satisfy you!
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #10  
Dante'smama

" A can of chicken breast -- but I have to salt it or I can't eat it. Guess you could do the same with tuna - but that's cat food! "

Yes it is lol. I never salt tuna, just eat it cold.

You know I think my mentality is stuck again at quantity. I just can't imagine that if I ate all the "allowed" meats and things in the quantities I freely chose, I can lose weight. It just scares me to eat 3 hamburgers.

Tomorrow is day 1 of induction all over again. I'm going to keep at this
Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #11  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

starting over is an awesome idea. Right now the quantity of the protein, etc. doesn't matter, just stay away from the sweets and fill up on atkins accepted foods instead (meat, eggs, etc). You'll find later down the road that your portions will significantly decrease which will cause even more weight loss but for right now just take one thing at a time and get the carbs out of your system.

The 'carb crave' will strike at the most opportune times...we've just gotta stand strong and know that we can get through it. Something funny I always found was that if I had a terrible carb crave and I beat it and ate eggs or meat instead, I had almost always lost a pound the next day

you're gonna do awesome!!

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #12  
Susan hockeyfan7

That is so true -- right now at the beginning you can eat a lot. But in about 6-8 months, you may find that you actually have trouble eating. I did. I found out that I would eat a large breakfast and then not be hungry and not want to eat for the rest of the day -- I'd have to force myself to eat.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #13  
Dante'smama

What an inspiration you all are to me. Thank you all so much.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #14  
TemporaryFatChick

I know it's hard to believe that you can eat as much as it takes to feel full all the time, not suffer, not be hungry EVER, and lose weight, but it's true!!

You can do this!!!

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote