Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default "Super Size Me"

I pushed my exercise back 2 hours just to watch the documentry 'Super Size Me' and boy am I glad I did. I missed the last half an hour cuz I feel asleep (opps - I really wanted to know what happened to the guy too!) but I learned a lot from watching that and it will really make me think twice about eating fast food.

Anyway I just wanted to say that all of you need to watch this - I know for me it just added to my motivation to exercise and eat healthy and clean.

But it is time to exercise - just wanted to get in my 2 cents.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

As I recall, his health problems at the end were far worse than any of the doctors predicted. I think there was a lot of irreversable organ damage, too.

I really don't eat fast food any more. It's a waste of money, and a waste of tasty. I'd rather eat good tasting, healthy food. However, I will admit that I get the Wendy's chicken caesar salad whenever I need a meal on the go. I don't use the caesar dressing or croutons, and it comes in at something like 180 calories, 27g of protein, 9g of carbs, and 5g of fat.

The movie will definitely put you off fast food for at least a few weeks (if not for life!) after you watch it, though!
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #3  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Yes I agree...even my husband will no longer eat at McDonalds. He's a junk food junkie. I cant say that about all fast food restaurants cause we both love Wendys. I only eat the Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwhich with no Mayo. The guy in the movie had some really bad things happen to him. Also the fry thing is really gross just imagine what it does to your body?
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Yah it has sure made me feel pretty gross to think that I have eaten that stuff before - and it doesn't mean that I probably wont EVER eat it again. But I can say I will certinaly eat it a lot less! McDonalds was never really my favourtie to begin with so if I never eat there again I wont be too upset! Did made me feel pretty gross about about that slice of pizza I ate for my breakfast/lunch (it was a big piece, haha)

But nothing a good work out can't fix! haha
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #5  
Running Wild

i havent seen this yet, but it is on my list to see on Netflix.

i have never been a fast food eater, cept maybe a stint there for a year or so but that was in my late 20's...even then it was only about 2 times a week. i probably eat fast food about once a month IF that...its actually usually after i get home from out of town, and i crave a Whataburger w/cheese from Whataburger. they have the BEST!! its almost not like fast food at all.

i am anxious to get this and see it, i might move it up in my queue.
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

i HAVE A COMMENT TO MAKE: I am NOT an enemy of mcdonalds.
The idiot who made this movie KNEW it was going to be a quick sell. But think about this logically-who would choose to eat all their meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner?) at a fast food joint? He didn't even RESIST once , he just ate it each and EVERY time. This is not a depiction of real life. We do make choices. And even if they were rather unwise, we don't deliberately do it all the time. He deliberately did it BECAUSE he knew it would make money and he thought he could sell mcdonalds out. Sorry to the guy who directed this, but this certainly isn't my type of movie. Because the way I see it, MCDONALDS iSN'T THE ONE TO BLAME, it is ourselves who CHOOSE to eat that stuff. And McDOnalds HAS some healthy foods. There are a lot of individuals who LOST weight from eating at McDONALDS and they sent their letters of correspondence to the company- they want to make a documentary refuting this crap "super size me" and you know what? McDOnalds wanted to fund it. It's all about the choice you make at the counter, and this guy didn't think twice- we're not that stupid to go up to the counter and say "super size it!" for every meal we eat.

Its ALL about self-control and moderation. The way I see it, someone's trying to blame their own problems on somebody else. Occasionally, I like to have their dollar menu chicken fajita with mozzerella sticks. SOmetimes even a cheesebuger. But I'm under control of my own diet, and I'm not an average "gimme the #8 without pickles". My blood cholesterol LDL is low and my HDL is high and my blood pressure is awesome and I'm really slim according to many. Yet I can take a little MickeyD's here and there. It's not "metabolic poison" as some article termed it unless you consume it constantly.

Phew, that was a mouhtful But anyway courtnie, thanks for bringing it up! (lol you probably know by now i cant stand that film!)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #7  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I've never watched this documentary, but I worked at McDonald's for 6 months. What the oil did to my shoes was enough to make me not want to eat there :P I was forced to for most of the time I worked there, though I tried picking things that were better for me.

Bottom line, this documentary is a bunch of bull. Of course eating crap food will cause health problems. If you eat cheetohs and oreos for all your meals, what do you think will happen to your body? THANK you very much :P

Edit: I forgot to mention, I lost 6 pounds in the 6 months that I worked at McDonald's. This was with eating there every day I worked (I worked 3-6 days a week).
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good post, Lydia! I certainly don't "support" eating at McDo's but this documentary is crap, I agree. This guy intentionally went there to see how much fattening stuff he could stuff his face with. You could easily do the same thing at home LOL. AND if you really tried you could eat stuff at McDo's without gaining weight. I certainly don't PLAN to as I still think the food is crap.. but you COULD, as you have proven!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160.5/158.5/135

I agree......Who eats Mcdonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner every day? Of course they would get sick. I guess it wasn't a big deal to me since I rarely eat fast food anyway.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #10  
Running Wild

i saw him on an interview several times and well it wasnt a slap to mcdonalds but to the CHOICES we do make involving bad food and any fast food place. McDonalds just happen to be his choice of establishment to use in his movie. some people DO eat like that probably 4 out of 7 days of the week if not more! especially our youth, who in the long run may suffer side effects of this much unhealthy eating! maybe not just at mcdonalds but with a variety of the same kind of joints. its already been proven that the number one vegetable people eat over 50% of their time a week is FRENCH FRIES!! sorry but i dont think french fries qualifies as a veggie, and would probably be embarrassed to even suggest that it was to anyone that was tracking that statistic.

and your argument about people making choices, moderation and self control? then why are so so many folks out there suing those exact type of establishments for their obesity and health issues? or even burning themselves because they put a damn cup of coffee between their legs? if people CHOOSE to eat that way then DEAL WITH THE REPERCUSSIONS and quite blaming society or our culture on your downfall.

i feel the same way about those folks as the ones who choose elective surgery for cosmetic reasons (KNOWING FULL WELL THE HEALTH RISKS) but then sue for astronomical amounts of money.

of course we all have choices and some use it wisely and some dont.

again i dont think the average american thinks that this movie was about any of that really, but to expose the fact that that food is worthless and of little nutritional value and if not properly ingested would and could cause side effects such as weight gain, overall way you feel and are able to function and yes some serious long term health risks if you arent careful.

even though i havent seen it, i have seen enough of the interviews and press to know what the point of the movie actually was.

and yes i have seen the interviews of some of those that say they lost weight on mcdonalds, and they ate salads, the childs hamburgers plain, diet cokes and the yogurt parfaits, things along those lines.

to me they were capitalizing off the success of SuperSize Me.

i dont think anyone that enjoys fast food once a week, twice a month or more, should take offense to this movie for goodness sake.

its a documentary. i am sure it wasnt meant to offend you in particular.

i commend him on his efforts. this culture of fast food eating is harming our youth as i said. and that is just MY opionion.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Points well taken, JuneBug, and very good... BUT IMO the problem is when someone does this and DAMAGES someone else's business in the process! This documentary DID come across as a slam to McDonald's -- and while I certainly don't think it is wise to partake of most of their food on a regular basis if at all, it is NOT right IMO to make THEM take the heat for our bad choices, in terms of lost business.

For what it's worth.... that is MY opinion.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #12  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I think he is a brilliant filmmaker. I also used to work at McDonald's, and I don't plan on ever going back after that. If I do eat there, it's only salads or their fruit things. I knew that stuff had to be terrible for you when I had to make fries for a half an hour straight. My hands were so disgusting. Even the frozen fries are covered in grease. It's disgusting.

Sure, nobody actually eats there for every meal for a month, but there are people who eat there every single day. Having worked there, I saw it. We had our "regulars". Also many of the people who worked there eat fries and burgers everyday. These people either don't know or don't care.

He was basically proving through this film what a poor diet will do to you. He felt sick, he had no energy, he became addicted to it... For those who are dieting, or have began a "lifestyle change", haven't you noticed how much better you feel since you've begun eating right? I know I have. That was his point. Not only is it just plain bad for you to eat junk food all the time, but you'll feel a whole lot better if you eat right.

So, to put it simply, fast food shouldn't be consumed more than once or twice a month, or if you do eat there make healthier choices. At McD's or Burger King, get a plain hamburger or a salad. At Taco Bell, get refried beans minus the cheese. At Subway, get whole grain bread, choose from their low fat sandwiches, and skip the mayo and cheese. It's that simple. As a teenager, I've proven that you can eat out a lot and still lose weight. I ate out for nearly every meal during my school trip to New York and I lost two or three pounds while I was there. I ate right, and when I didn't have many choices I made my own peanut butter sandwiches on whole grain bread or ate wheat crackers.

As a wannabe filmmaker, I think that guy was brilliant and I'd like to make a film like that which has a profound effect on society. Since the release of that film, McD's no longer has a super size, they have nutrition facts on the backs of every tray liner, and they've just released this new "Get Active" meal. You buy a salad and a bottle of water and they include a short workout DVD. Obviously they're trying to get a better reputation, but when it comes down to it, it's all about personal choice.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I did see this movie. The point it drove home to me, was how much fast-food companies spend literally billions on advertising to get young kids to want to go there. I am also concerned of the health risks to those who eat there frequently. Myself, I could care less if I ever have junk food again, but even when faced with having to eat at a fast food place, I choose a grilled chicken salad and a diet coke or unsweetened tea. As adults we're responsible for our own choices. Some people simply don't think about or don't care what they eat. I can't play miss holier-than-thou, because I ate this crap too before I learned my new way of eating.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #14  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Though I think it was ridiculous for him to eat there for a month I don't think the documentary was crap at all.

I thought his diet was the BACKDROP to the real issue which was the rising levels of obesity in the western world and helped showcase terrible eating habits within the younger generations, proving that this issue will only get worse. I'm in my second year of university and in highschool 95% of the food they served in the caf was CRAP(and most people ate there everday) and awful for you, and in university it's even worse!! I think the movie also did a good job in showing us how PERVASIVE fast food companies are at targetting the youth market to eat there. You don't see commercials for carrots on TV boasting that they come with a toy!

And while I think his diet was ridiculous I think it made a good point: food at McDonalds is BARELY food once they're through with it. Their hamburgers are not just ground meat that you buy at a store; they're chock full of MSG and preservatives and sugar. Their chicken nuggets are bottom of the barrell scraps with more unfamiliar ingredients than should ever be allowed in a food claiming to be chicken! A lot of people don't realize what they put into that stuff.

I agree that moderation and good choices are key and I don't think that movie ever made any statements otherwise.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #15  
Running Wild