The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #1  

Default Motivation

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has some tips for getting motivated to workout? I am ok with going swimming but the thought of doing anything else sounds great until the time comes to go and then I just dont want to.

I plan my exercise but am finding it hard actually going when the time comes around. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Mel
X
Old 04-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #2  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Sometimes I have to trick myself into it. The thing is, getting started is the hard part - once you do that you can usually generate a little momentum. Sometimes that first workout can be a "just do it" experience, hating it all the way. When I am not in the habit I will sometimes tell myself I can really make it easy, like a weight workout I'll just use really light weights or even no weights but go through the motions. Works for me, it starts to feel good enough that you want to do it again. I think the worse thing you can do is start with too much intensity and so difficult that there is no way you want to make it a habit.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #3  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

I have to agree with ledom. Sometimes i find myself debating with myself about whether or not i should work out. I try to talk myself out of it, but i've realised that i just have to do it. I try not to talk myself out of workouts anymore, and just treat workouts like another part of my day. It's not easy, especially during the first few weeks. Just try to think about why you're working out. Do you want to look better in a pair of jeans? Do you want to feel better? Do you want to be stronger? Let these things be your motivation. Take a deep breath and just do it! Good luck!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #4  

Thanks for the advice guys I had a planned workout this morning and missed it because I couldnt get up I'm going swimming later so will have to work extra hard. I'm hopeless

I definately try to talk myself out of it like you say I thought that was only me, ha ha! I think i'm just going to have to convince myself to do, or trick myself into it

Cheers guys!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #5  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Ahhh... You're not hopeless! We all have our days when a workout is the last thing we want to do! Have fun swimming!