UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #1  

Default Too busy to diet

Hi all,
This is my first time using an online forum, let alone one talking about my weight! So bear with me - hope I don't muck up!!

I've been spending the past few days reading through all the past threads, and it's amazing how supportive and warm you all are. Feels kinda nice.

I started a new job a few months back, and I'm crazy busy! Worse than I could ever imagine! And I've really ballooned, up to a size I've never even been close to before - thing is, I think it's my job. I'm too busy to cook, let alone cook healthily, and I've been eating a lot of takeaways (curry mmmm!!) and sandwiches and pasties grabbed from the Tescos across the road.

You know how it is, you're so busy and stressed that at the time you feel like you deserve a hot, easy meal ... not til later when you look in the mirror do you feel so guilty and bad.

Can any of you help? What do you do when you need to eat healthy and diet, but don't have a personal chef (I dream of having one of those!!)

Thanks for your help
juststartingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

There are lots of things that you can cook that are healthy and take very little longer than ordering a takeaway or heating up a ready meal. I work and exercise and still cook almost everything I eat from scratch - if you make a big batch of something at the weekend and freeze it in individual portions you can easily defrost it during the day then reheat it when you get in. I find that a bit of time spent planning a weeks meals and doing a proper shop saves a lot of time scrapping around in the kitchen for something that's edible!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #3  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Hi - I think you've taken the biggest step already - its NEVER easy to admit to yourself that things have got out of control - and its even more difficult to post on an open forum asking for help!

If you've got a microwave, a fridge and a computer you can order in your groceries from Tesco or Sainsbury (and I think there are a couple of other shops that do it). Ordering on-line once a week works out much quicker and cheaper than wandering round Tesco every day mainly because you don't get tempted to buy stuff you don't need. They do some nice healthy frozen or chill/cook meals which can be nuked in the microwave - or some chicken breast, fish or lean steak which can be grilled - just add a bag of salad and some fruit and you've got a meal in minutes.

Now.... this is just my opinion.... but I know that I can cope better with other kinds of stress if I've got my eating under control. When I see the scales going up and up its like its just ANOTHER thing to worry about.

Then there's exercise. Exercise is PERFECT for getting rid of stress. Walking, running, swimming, whatever (especially anything to do with punching or kicking) is great.

Take it one step at a time - don't try and do a whole life overhaul in one day!

Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Pretty much what others have said... but yah you just have to find a way to make it happen! I also do most of my cooking on weekends and sometimes even get up in the middle of the night to turn off my crockpot. I've found the crockpot to be the most valuable tool ever, and there are a LOT of recipes which are SO easy you just kind of toss in a few things and turn it on. And I freeze things in the plastic freezer bags so not a lot of containers to wash, and they also take up less room. You CAN do it... just have to get creative and find ways that fit into your lifestyle. I guess you have to want it badly enough to do what it takes to work things into your schedule.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #5  

Thankyou so much - feeling more positive already! Am taking advantage of the weekend (and the recipes on here) to do some prep in the kitchen. I had forgotten how fun it can be when you've got some time.
Also was down at the supermarket - although to be honest a bit overwhelmed by all the diet meals. All of the look a bit ... yuck? There was a WW curry one, but I just know it will disappoint, so stuck with the spaghetti bol!
Thanks again guys, your tips and advice really help.
juststartingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #6  

Glad you are feeling more positive! And as for the diet meals... I agree they are mostly yuck but more than that they are mostly processed foods. You don't need them if you get yourself a crockpot, microwave, etc. <G> Natural are SO much more yummy. I have a big crockpot on right now full of sweet and sour chicken. Can't WAIT for dinner time LOL.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on getting started. The only advice I have is to always plan ahead. Make that conscious decision to try to take a little time for yourself to exercise . Keep plenty of fruit and veggies on hand. It only takes a few min's to grill a healthy piece of meat. You can do it. Everyone has to make adjustments when changing their life, your life won't change to accomodate your needs. Good luck and everyone here will be supporting you along the way.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #8  

Very well said, Lilybelle! And juststartingout... it's really not that difficult once you get your system! I spend less time cooking now than before.. AND am eating the most wonderful meals ever!

You also might want to invest in a few low cost exercise tools at home... for example I bought a $14 set of 3 lb. Danskin workout balls. There are all kinds of exercises you can do with them in spare minutes.

You CAN do this!!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #9  
No description available.

Okay Misty!! Can you share your recipe for sweet and sour chicken in the crock pot?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #10  

For evening meals. how about getting a slo cooker http://www.recipeland.com/recipes/slo+cooker/ just bung everything in before you go to work and then you have a nice meal to come back to. My friend swears by them and he is one of the busiest people I know.

Order your shopping in online and get a good lunchbox ones that have compartments and cool bits are expensive but great.
You can get mini carrots and stuff and have them at work with dip. You don't even need to wash them if you get the prewashed ones so thats no preparation time.

Cuppa soups the low cal ones are also great snacks and you just need a kettle at work, and you could get in alot of sliced fruit that you can take to work too.

You prob eat meat but this site is a real gem just look at this for some lunch suggestions.

http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

You could add in meaty stuff. Alot of it doesn't take that long to prepare at all.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
Okay Misty!! Can you share your recipe for sweet and sour chicken in the crock pot?
LOL well I made it up kind of but here goes.

I cut 3 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite size pieces (electric knife). Put it into crockpot (and use the liners! make cleanup SO easy!). Drain juice from 3 cans pineapple juice (in its own juice) and add pineapple to crockpot. Dice one red bell pepper and add. You can use bottled sweet and sour sauce or make your own. I made mine for the first time but need to do some refining but you can adjust it to your taste. The bottled stuff has lots of sugar and processed stuff in it.

I used the pineapple juice, added 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Mix and place into skillet and heat to boiling point. Prepare ahead about 2 tbsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup water; add to juice when boiling to thicken; stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Then dump the sauce into the crockpot and cook until done.

I plan to add chopped fresh tomato when I serve it and a glob of fat free sour cream.

I think next time too I might experiment and a bit more spices.

I make a LOT as I put individual servings in freezer bags so when I come home from work I can just pop something into the microwave. I do most all of my cooking on weekends. I am picky and will not leave a crockpot or any electrical appliance on when I am gone but a lot of people do it. I keep fresh veggies and just stick a few in the oven or George Foreman grill... or eat raw, etc. I have the most incredible meals!!! And don't put a whole lot of effort into it!! Make stuff this way to take for my lunches too.

If you like sauerkraut I also have a super easy recipe for sauerkraut chicken and one also for easy easy salsa chicken! The crockpot stuff is sooooo nice because as princess said, you just toss the stuff in and that's it!!

Addition later: Find another recipe for sweet and sour sauce or use the bottled... LOL mine was too sweet. Someone told me to do it like this but a friend just now told me it should also have vinegar in it. Anyway except for that it turned out great. I am going to do something else for sauce and drain this off.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-22-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:45 AM   #12  
Queen of Chaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossible princess
For evening meals. how about getting a slo cooker http://www.recipeland.com/recipes/slo+cooker/ just bung everything in before you go to work and then you have a nice meal to come back to. My friend swears by them and he is one of the busiest people I know.

Great link! I think I'll go dig out my sadly neglected slow cooker now!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #13  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

There are some gorgeous recipes on that website - thanks for the link. I know exactly what I'm having for dinner now.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote