Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #1  

Question Olive Oil

Hey all! I have been checking out all of the great recipes on this website. I am noticing a lot of olive oil in the recipes. What brand and kind of olive oil do you guys use?
I really don't use oil that much so I only use olive oil in a few recipes. I know that in the past I bought one that I really didn't care for. It was a less expensive one, maybe that is where I went wrong. The one that I have now is okay for cooking but I am not sure how it would be in a salad.
Are you using extra virgin olive oil or something else? I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out!! Thanks.
HungryMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Montolivo, my parents used to use it when I was a kid, too, but I don't think the brand really matters. Try it on salad with balsamic or red wine vinegar (about 1 Tbs. of each for a regular-sized salad), this is my favorite salad dressing!
I also use it on popcorn with an oil mister, but at 300 calories per serving (180 for 1/4 C. popcorn kernels & 120 for 1 Tbs. oil), that's a once-in-awhile treat!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/210.5/150

i use extra virgin olive oil...whatever is on sale. right now i'm using kroger brand lol
lotusblossom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #4  

Bertollis Extra Virgin Olive Oil here.... It was on sale at BJs...
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #5  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I've heard that youshould go by the color. The greener the better. Of course quality will probably be influenced by price but I usually buy what I consider to be the best value since I use it mostly for cooking. You should always try to get extra virgin...ignore those recommendations on the front like "for dressings and marinaded" or "for stir frying". Extra virgin works great for all and is healthier.
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/210/160

My favorite place to buy it is at Costco - Great quality and at about twice as much product for same price as grocery store
notsolittleanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/154/135

I get the Bertoli's "Extra light" tasting.
Debbie0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #8  

I use extra virgin olive oil. It is supposed to taste the best because it is the first cold pressing of the olives, before the are heated and pressed again (See you can learn something watching cooking shows on PBS!!).

As for brand, I buy whatever is on sale. I haven't noticed too much a difference between a store brand and a name brand.
annarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I use Bertollis extra virgin for most things and also Costco's Pure Virgin for certain things I cook.

I cook with the the virgin and then sometimes dress whatever it is with a little more extra virgin.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #10  

I got a little spray bottle at the local drug store for my oil. It's awsome for getting the oil all over the pan or all over the food without having to drench it.
I use extra vrigin because of the lower acidity, I cook in cast iron a lot.

Everything you every wahted to know about Olive Oil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil
geekess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #11  

Like everyone else I use extra virgin olive oil ALWAYS. The "light" version has the same amount of calories and less flavor, so I find I use less with the EVOO. Of course, I like the way it tastes but the "light" is lighter in flavor which some might prefer.

I have found that the brand doesn't matter too much if you are cooking with it, although I have heard the greener the better. It is also MUCH cheaper at Sam's (like 10-12 dollars less for similar quantity), but where do you put that giant jug?
athensmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ???/???/165

Height: 5'10"

I'm really picky about my olive oil, because they all taste so different. But I LOOOOVE it on almost anything! I'll put it on a salad and not need any other dressing. I use Colavita - it has a subtle "olivey" taste but is good for cooking or just dressing.
cygnetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote