Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #1  
Sweet Success

Default No fair to ice cream

I have a box of Dryers slowly churn light vanilla ice cream.

Serving size: 100 calories 1/2 cup (60g)

I had bought this just being part of a recipe to make a certain shake lighter in calories and I am begining to think that is what ice cream is all it is good for. just something to add to a recipe

by the time you add 1/4 cup ice cream, 5 oz of your choice of light milk, tsp of creamer half bag of oreo snack pack, and one cup of ice and throw it in the blender you get a some what decent light calorie shake out of it.

As far as just having ice cream though.
I find it quite disapointing.
I decided for the last snack to just have a serving of ice cream.
I get my scale out since I am real bad about measuring a serving of ice cream.

Do you know there is no justice in a serving of ice cream?

by the time I get this serving out and correctly weighed. I am a little appalled to what I get.

Just a little "PLOP" I think it was barely bigger then a golf ball size.

WOW!!! It did not look like the three round lumps I use to get in the past.
Just one lump little bigger then golf ball size 100 calories.

Is ice cream really that fatting to be so limited?

I think I really got a reality check NO SHOCK!!!!!! to what the past was like and to get so little ice cream for a serving.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #2  
Meg

You are SO right about portion sizes, especially ice cream! Everyone likes to kid themselves that they're having 'one serving' -- when it's really more like two or three cups (which would be 4 - 6 'servings'). Weighing and measuring is truly eye-opening, isn't it?

I have the same problem with peanut butter and make myself measure out that one little tablespoon. It's not very much!

Reality check is exactly right!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

When it comes to food I'm a scale freak! I weigh everything, even jelly!

And like you said, it's certainly an eye opener. It's funny about the ice cream b/c the same thing happened to me the 1st time I got a serving with the scale. And more recently my husband asked me if he could have an ice cream serving (he's doing WW with me). He was standing next to me and when I did the little "plop" on the dish and handed it to him he said to me "that's it?!, aren't you missing some???" LOL

Portion control is a huge part of any diet and it's amazing to see what most people would consider one serving, when in fact like Meg said, it's more like 4-6 servings!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree! Ice cream will put the pounds on me faster than anything, and I love the stuff. But I've completely stopped eating the stuff, along with other stuff that I consider junk. I do go to Emerald City Smoothie occasionally and get one of their fantastic healthy smoothies for lunch! Yum! But for me no point in even eating ice cream... may as well just apply it directly to my hips!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #5  
LLV

Yes, it's very disappointing. The lowest calorie ice cream I've found is Breyer's Cal Smart, with 70 calories per 1/2 cup serving, but it's not worth eating. Blech, horrible! It doesn't even taste like ice cream.

But yeah, I know where you're coming from. I was making a smoothie yesterday and got out the lowfat/low-sugar vanilla frozen yogurt. 90 cals a serving. So I measure out 1/2 cup. I needed more than that. But I didn't dare because I didn't want to add more calories.

As far as ice cream goes, we're screwed. Regular ice cream is anywhere between 150-190 calories per 1/2 cup serving, too high in calories. Yet the 'diet' stuff isn't worth eating.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #6  

Well when you figure that ice cream is frozen cream with sugar! No wonder is high in fat and calories.

LLV: Have you seen the Haagen Daz kind?! Half a cup of Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream is 360 cal with 24 gms of fat!!! I'm not getting near that stuff!

I like Eddy's light slow churned, I think it's 120 cal. I also like Healthy Choice vanilla and the dulce de leche one, but I haven't seen that one in a while. Stonyfield has a dulce de leche organic frozen yogurt that's awesome too.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlykat4u
Well when you figure that ice cream is frozen cream with sugar! No wonder is high in fat and calories.

LLV: Have you seen the Haagen Daz kind?! Half a cup of Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream is 360 cal with 24 gms of fat!!! I'm not getting near that stuff!
OMG!

Back! Back, I say!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

I used to work at Carvel Ice cream where we had a scale and I (the only employee who bothered to research and memorize all the nutritional info) gladly would offer to help if anyone even asked. Each serving size was supposed to be 4 oz (really, really small- less than the size of the rinse and gargle cups at the dentists' office) and each serving of icecream was 240 calories (vanilla) and 230 (choc) and i wont even mention the fat. The funny thing is, my boss told me never to tell if anyone asked because he was afraid telling people would drive his business to ruin because people were weight conscious. I asked him "But what if they really shouldn't be eating this? What if I suggested sherbert? You want your customers to live longer so they could continue on buying your ice cream right?" But the man said no- because 80% of the items in the store was high fat and calories, I had to zip my mouth in cased someone asked.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I think this is why I like those Skinny Cow sandwiches so much. They are pre-measured and I don't have to worry about the temptation to eat extra bites. That little bit of ice cream in the bowl just doesn't feel very fulfilling. The thing I should do is to get smaller bowls!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlykat4u
When it comes to food I'm a scale freak! I weigh everything, even jelly!

And like you said, it's certainly an eye opener. It's funny about the ice cream b/c the same thing happened to me the 1st time I got a serving with the scale. And more recently my husband asked me if he could have an ice cream serving (he's doing WW with me). He was standing next to me and when I did the little "plop" on the dish and handed it to him he said to me "that's it?!, aren't you missing some???" LOL

Portion control is a huge part of any diet and it's amazing to see what most people would consider one serving, when in fact like Meg said, it's more like 4-6 servings!
I laughed reading all the way through this. It certainly was an eye opener.

Someone else said we were screwed when it came to ice cream. We most diffanently are.

I knew there was a reason why I started making smoothies and sometimes you got to becareful how you make those.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one that experment the shock treatment.

For a while I had wonder if I was seeing things.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #11  

LLV

Veggielover: I wish there were more people like you out there. It's sad to realize some people don't really care. I guess that's why we have to be well informed consumer. Look at LLV and me... we're not touching the Haagen Daz!

NotTheCheat: Yes, I love Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, I think they're pretty tasty, plus the ice cream doesn't really "feel" like low fat, it's creamy and yummy!

Feisty: I guess we're going to live with the low fat one. I gotta be honest with you, I've tried so many different ones and I do like some, some I don't care for, but I guess if I have a bad ice cream craving, a low fat choice is better than nothing!

OMG I almost forgot, have any of you tried "Only 8"? It's a frozen yogurt and it's very, VERY good. www.only8frozenyogurt.com

It's 32 cal per 1/2 cup, no fat! It's like soft serve. A co-worker took me to an ice cream place and they sold it there. It's so good! I can't believe I forgot about that. The problem is that they don't say where it's sold. Check out their website.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Back! Back, I say!
LOL yah... why eat the stuff? Just apply it directly to your hips!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:02 AM   #13  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
LOL yah... why eat the stuff? Just apply it directly to your hips!!

Or the thighs!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #14  
LLV

Or the butt or the legs or the upper arms or the face or the neck or the...

lol
Old 04-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #15  
LLV

Or hey, maybe we can just use the container of ice cream as an ice pack on our heads for when we get a headache.

Yeah. That'll work.